Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Form Analysis/Critique

Old 11-29-2021, 08:55 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 44 Times in 38 Posts

After changing my pelvic tilt and relaxing my shoulders I felt fine for a while but I started missing early left a lot. I eventually realized today that was because I had changed where my weight is in my throw and I had kept this plant step that was way out in front of me which compensated for my butt sticking out as I threw. Now I have to bring my weight over my heels and keep it there as I move into the plant instead of planting outwards away from my body.

Here's a few different backhand throws while I was working on this, please ignore the fact that my off-arm is doing 3 different things in these 3 throws, it does what it wants when I'm focused on other things.

https://youtu.be/tOyUkIk2mq8

For the forehand, I'm still bringing my left arm too far back, just working on that at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2021, 01:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 6,482 Times in 3,727 Posts

Stop bending your knees at the start. You are bending yourself into bad posture and balance and making this much harder on yourself. Start by standing upright naturally and relaxed and walk/dance naturally/almost drunk. Only one knee should bend at a time on the ground and doesn't need to bend much to get moving and flowing. You start leaning back on left leg w/ big knee bend in your first step instead of leaning/moving forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFO7J3AV5Y#t=4m30s

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pj eagle posture seq copy.jpg (77.7 KB, 66 views)

Niced: (1)
Old 11-30-2021, 01:24 PM
Bogey Member

I really do love to over-complicate things and make it harder for myself. Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-30-2021, 08:22 PM
Bogey Member

Yep, getting my weight ahead of myself fixed pretty much everything, what a surprise. I'm going to have to continually drive this into my brain until I get it. I think it might be like my off-arm where whenever I make a change I just lose my brains.

Here's my backhand: https://youtu.be/aYL6hgILbps

I think more interestingly I worked on my forehand today and was able to get the off-arm into a better spot I think, but I was torn between two ways of throwing. I've been trying to work on a non-chop forehand but I found the chop forehand to be way more accurate and consistent when I was practicing. I'm having a tough time doing the low forehand consistently and I'm curious what you see between the two ways I throw. (Sorry for the low video quality, it was pretty dark.)

https://youtu.be/wISSPHgCSZ0
Old 12-01-2021, 01:54 AM
* Ace Member *

The BH X step definitely looks better. I would work on One-Leg Drill or Elephant Walk, you land/finish awkward on front leg(both BH/FH).

FH you also appear to be leaning back away from target behind rear foot. Balance and weightshift gets wonky. Your front knee collapses. Your left hand is thumb up instead of thumb down in the stride.

Old 12-01-2021, 02:42 AM
Par Member

Niced 313 Times in 125 Posts

Tip for bracing:

Think of it as sitting down or getting low before a jump instead of diving straight into the brace leg. Your weight should be ever so slightly behind the brace leg (from target). Hard to spot, but the difference in feel is huge.
Then you just let your weight roll up from inside your brace foot to the outside of the foot. Wait until that roll has happened and then push off. Tricky to time it but you'll know when you do it right. Watch some pros and focus on the brace foot up to the knee. They are sitting down and rolling up on the leg, just like you would do when walking. If you land straight into your leg you'll miss out on all that ground force as well as loose your balance. It will stop your forward momentum, just like driving into a wall. You want it to feel like a deceleration that gives power to an acceleration. (Just like a whip!) You don't want it to feel like a car crash.

What would happen if this pole vaulter held the pole horizontally and then ran straight into a wall with it? (Hint: BAM!) It would stop him totally.

Remember, your brace foot is the tip of the pole going into the ground. It's out in front of your weight (but not too much) and it's rolling down into the ground while your weight and power travels up the pole, not over it, not stopped behind it.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:00 AM
Bogey Member

For the backhand plant in that throw I would say I just had my hips turned back a little much by the time I planted. Needed to have my hips more perpendicular to the target so leg wouldn't collapse. Perhaps having my toe pointed down going into the plant would give my subconscious a cue to havw more time to get my body in the right position. The rolling into the plant explanation is great, I'll steal that.

For the forehand my brace is a bit weird, at some point I just started landing toe first and it's really annoying. Although it doesn't affect me most of the time it does cause me to slip every so often so to prevent injury it's definitely in my best interest to fix it completely. It's just one of those things I can't tell I'm doing until I film it.

As for leaning away from my target on a forehand, I'm really unsure how to fix this, does my back leg need to be straighter? Do I have to be practically falling forward to get my weight ahead of my back leg? Should I turn my hips slightly to the side and subsequently turn my shoulders even farther? I'll have to look at some videos of pros throwing forehand and see how their posture differs. (And also I'll obviously watch the video you posted)

I'll keep working on the off-arm with the forehand as well, I think I got the hand right in one of the two throws in the video.

Old 12-01-2021, 02:52 PM
* Ace Member *

FH - you kind of hop behind your left foot which also puts you behind rear foot. Just walk more sideways standing up relaxed and then get lower going into plant. Nothing wrong with planting toe first, but I would plant more on the inside edge/instep of the foot first. Heel first plant is typically on longer strides with more open foot.

Note how your shoulders tilt opposite of mine, your lower arm/disc goes vertical above your head, my lower arm/disc lays back more horizontal. Also note how your rear knee is buckled inward, mine is torqued outward.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 1.48.41 PM.jpg (26.9 KB, 40 views)

Old 12-01-2021, 03:48 PM
Bogey Member

Huh, the more I'm looking at these things you're pointing out the more I think I'm stuck between 2 different forms. I bring my right shoulder up like I'm going to do a chop forehand and then I try to bring it down like I'm doing a low forehand swing. That's probably why my chop forehands feel more consistent.

Then I'm doing a hop step but keeping my hips facing forward. Everyone who walks into a forehand keeps their hips forward and everyone who does a hop step has their hips turned to the side. I'm keeping my hips forward and doing a hop step so I'm off balance on my back leg when I land on my back foot. I re-watched Dylan Horst's forehand and he has his hips completely sideways until his weight is past his back leg and then he swivels them forward, he also keeps his shoulders level or with his left shoulder slightly above his right. He also plants with his inner foot first.

I'll figure out what's more comfortable for me in terms of the walk-up and work on this stuff.

Old 12-02-2021, 05:59 PM
Bogey Member

Alright I found out that the forehand problem would have been easy to see if I had bothered recording from behind a few times and posted those on here. I was reaching too far behind my head with the disc and for some reason, I subconsciously figured out that if I raised my arm higher I physically couldn't hold the disc directly behind my head. I started holding the disc out away from me and I (mostly) fixed the problem.

https://youtu.be/mdKWsx_lWWw

It was a little muddy today so I took small steps, maybe that could be why my off-arm timing was off.

Also, the backhand feels absolutely amazing right now; keeping my weight ahead of the foot I'm standing on was a huge gamechanger. It finally feels like it did back in January of this year when I was doing the hershyzer drill throws from a standstill stance, except now I'm doing it in a run up with better posture. (I didn't record any backhands today due to the mud)

Last edited by pjsb1; 12-02-2021 at 06:02 PM.