#11  
Old 09-07-2021, 01:20 PM
jupiterboy's Avatar
jupiterboy jupiterboy is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Buffalo, NY
Courses Played: 3
Posts: 226
Niced 167 Times in 82 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
I think the original rule allowed for the 'flipping' of your disc to mark the spot (either play using the disc where it lies as the marker, or flipping it over). But that was easy to abuse, a player could flip it a bit further and get a better spot. If they were 'called' on it, there was no way to prove where the disc originally was. But with a marker disc, you can see the player place it and immediately know if it was placed correctly.

((Disclaimer: I didn't play disc golf back then so I'm not positive of the reason....the above is just what I think the reason for using a mini might be)).
We were very casual. I'm practicing playing with a mini but if I was ever in a tournament I'd get foot faults all over the place no doubt. I still smack the chains with the disc on a super close putt instead of dropping it in the basket and waiting until it stops moving. Old habits, but I'm far from competitive so nobody cares.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-07-2021, 01:27 PM
BillFleming BillFleming is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Arizona
Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,421
Niced 987 Times in 548 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiterboy View Post
We were very casual. I'm practicing playing with a mini but if I was ever in a tournament I'd get foot faults all over the place no doubt. I still smack the chains with the disc on a super close putt instead of dropping it in the basket and waiting until it stops moving. Old habits, but I'm far from competitive so nobody cares.
and that is what I see in casual play and non-sanctioned league play. Which then makes it hard on those players when they do play sanctioned rounds....they aren't used to playing "by the rules". I don't see any issues with players, in those cases, tapping the chains, flipping their disc as a marker, picking up their putter and making a putt without using a marker of any kind, "gimme's", playing music without ear buds, etc...as long as it is a friendly round. It only hurts those players when/if they start playing sanctioned rounds.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-07-2021, 04:51 PM
Armus Patheticus Armus Patheticus is offline
Garrulous Windbag
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Courses Played: 16
Posts: 400
Niced 291 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
I think the original rule allowed for the 'flipping' of your disc to mark the spot (either play using the disc where it lies as the marker, or flipping it over). But that was easy to abuse, a player could flip it a bit further and get a better spot. If they were 'called' on it, there was no way to prove where the disc originally was. But with a marker disc, you can see the player place it and immediately know if it was placed correctly.

((Disclaimer: I didn't play disc golf back then so I'm not positive of the reason....the above is just what I think the reason for using a mini might be)).
This is the often quoted reasoning, and it's pretty darn silly, as has been explained in many threads in this forum.

In real life, few people will care what marker you use, or if you use one at all, even in competitive play. I've never owned a marker disc, and have somehow survived an awful lot of tournaments with no issues.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-07-2021, 05:10 PM
Steve West Steve West is offline
Par Delusionary
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Years Playing: 47.7
Courses Played: 474
Posts: 6,082
Niced 3,300 Times in 1,509 Posts
Default

You can usually get a free mini by asking if it's OK to mark with something else during a tournament.

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-07-2021, 05:26 PM
rhatton1's Avatar
rhatton1 rhatton1 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 39
Posts: 1,129
Niced 981 Times in 387 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
This is the often quoted reasoning, and it's pretty darn silly, as has been explained in many threads in this forum.

In real life, few people will care what marker you use, or if you use one at all, even in competitive play. I've never owned a marker disc, and have somehow survived an awful lot of tournaments with no issues.
What do you do when out of bounds/stuck in a tree/bush/lie is against a solid object etc.?

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-07-2021, 05:33 PM
BillFleming BillFleming is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Arizona
Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,421
Niced 987 Times in 548 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
This is the often quoted reasoning, and it's pretty darn silly, as has been explained in many threads in this forum.

In real life, few people will care what marker you use, or if you use one at all, even in competitive play. I've never owned a marker disc, and have somehow survived an awful lot of tournaments with no issues.
but do you leave your thrown disc on the ground as your marker instead of using a marker disc?

I have been in several sanctioned tournaments and have seen players called on not using a marker or not using a marker correctly. The majority of times, after the warning the player has done it correctly, but, I have seen a player get penalized and ended up DNF because they refused to either use their disc as it was or use a mini marker (after a few throws and getting penalized each time - they quit).

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-07-2021, 05:37 PM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is offline
* Ace No More *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 378
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 12,801
Niced 8,271 Times in 3,314 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiterboy View Post
When did mini markers become a thing? I never noticed anyone using one early '80s. Between the markers and the phone for keeping score and the bag there's a whole lot more fiddling around. I kinda miss three discs in one hand and a beer in the other.
Minis don't need to be a thing for the kind of casual round you describe. Nothing wrong with a few discs in one hand and a beer in the other.

But if you want to throw the same disc you just threw, during a competitive round, some sort of marker is a must.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-07-2021, 06:15 PM
Armus Patheticus Armus Patheticus is offline
Garrulous Windbag
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Courses Played: 16
Posts: 400
Niced 291 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
What do you do when out of bounds/stuck in a tree/bush/lie is against a solid object etc.?
Lay down another disc, a bottle of water, any other object on hand, or just take a stance and throw with no mark.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-07-2021, 06:19 PM
Armus Patheticus Armus Patheticus is offline
Garrulous Windbag
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Courses Played: 16
Posts: 400
Niced 291 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
but do you leave your thrown disc on the ground as your marker instead of using a marker disc?

I have been in several sanctioned tournaments and have seen players called on not using a marker or not using a marker correctly. The majority of times, after the warning the player has done it correctly, but, I have seen a player get penalized and ended up DNF because they refused to either use their disc as it was or use a mini marker (after a few throws and getting penalized each time - they quit).
Yes, I use my thrown disc as my marker, unless forced to do otherwise, as detailed above. I'm sure some players take marking rules seriously. Most don't.

The lie is very important. The marker isn't.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 09-07-2021, 06:39 PM
Cgkdisc's Avatar
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is online now
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 32.8
Courses Played: 741
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 13,541
Niced 3,757 Times in 1,537 Posts
Default

Several rules in any sport were introduced to solve situations where player(s) took advantage of an unregulated or less regulated situation. The mini marker emerged for that reason when a particular player was seen taking multiple flips of his disc back in the 70s. As I understand it, the "lie" for your next stance was contact within the area where your thrown disc just landed. That's why flipping it was the way it was marked to provide the visual reference to its shape/diameter.

Changing the Lie to the LOP had to be introduced once mini markers came into play. I think the RC recently missed the "mark" by not changing or at least providing an optional marking method that indicated the width of your lie, and why wasn't it set at 21cm instead of 20cm? (Presumably since it's shorter than the smallest diameter disc? round number?) Might have been some interesting discussions within the RC and possibly the PDGA Board on this.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you could only use 5 discs for a round Lemayd Discs 58 04-15-2019 04:12 PM
Quarter-round for tee markers? kerplunk Course Maint. & Equipment 4 09-29-2016 08:19 PM
How many discs do you use per round? KniceZ General Disc Golf Chat 129 02-25-2016 12:44 PM
Best markers for discs RandyHjr Discs 16 12-07-2012 01:11 PM
Best Markers to Write on Discs jenb Discs 13 02-18-2011 11:01 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.