Old 09-07-2021, 01:20 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 167 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
I think the original rule allowed for the 'flipping' of your disc to mark the spot (either play using the disc where it lies as the marker, or flipping it over). But that was easy to abuse, a player could flip it a bit further and get a better spot. If they were 'called' on it, there was no way to prove where the disc originally was. But with a marker disc, you can see the player place it and immediately know if it was placed correctly.

((Disclaimer: I didn't play disc golf back then so I'm not positive of the reason....the above is just what I think the reason for using a mini might be)).
We were very casual. I'm practicing playing with a mini but if I was ever in a tournament I'd get foot faults all over the place no doubt. I still smack the chains with the disc on a super close putt instead of dropping it in the basket and waiting until it stops moving. Old habits, but I'm far from competitive so nobody cares.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-07-2021, 01:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 987 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiterboy View Post
We were very casual. I'm practicing playing with a mini but if I was ever in a tournament I'd get foot faults all over the place no doubt. I still smack the chains with the disc on a super close putt instead of dropping it in the basket and waiting until it stops moving. Old habits, but I'm far from competitive so nobody cares.
and that is what I see in casual play and non-sanctioned league play. Which then makes it hard on those players when they do play sanctioned rounds....they aren't used to playing "by the rules". I don't see any issues with players, in those cases, tapping the chains, flipping their disc as a marker, picking up their putter and making a putt without using a marker of any kind, "gimme's", playing music without ear buds, etc...as long as it is a friendly round. It only hurts those players when/if they start playing sanctioned rounds.

Old 09-07-2021, 04:51 PM
Garrulous Windbag

Courses Played: 16
Niced 291 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
I think the original rule allowed for the 'flipping' of your disc to mark the spot (either play using the disc where it lies as the marker, or flipping it over). But that was easy to abuse, a player could flip it a bit further and get a better spot. If they were 'called' on it, there was no way to prove where the disc originally was. But with a marker disc, you can see the player place it and immediately know if it was placed correctly.

((Disclaimer: I didn't play disc golf back then so I'm not positive of the reason....the above is just what I think the reason for using a mini might be)).
This is the often quoted reasoning, and it's pretty darn silly, as has been explained in many threads in this forum.

In real life, few people will care what marker you use, or if you use one at all, even in competitive play. I've never owned a marker disc, and have somehow survived an awful lot of tournaments with no issues.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:10 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 47.7
Courses Played: 474
Niced 3,300 Times in 1,509 Posts

You can usually get a free mini by asking if it's OK to mark with something else during a tournament.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 39
Niced 981 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
This is the often quoted reasoning, and it's pretty darn silly, as has been explained in many threads in this forum.

In real life, few people will care what marker you use, or if you use one at all, even in competitive play. I've never owned a marker disc, and have somehow survived an awful lot of tournaments with no issues.
What do you do when out of bounds/stuck in a tree/bush/lie is against a solid object etc.?

Old 09-07-2021, 05:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 987 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post

but do you leave your thrown disc on the ground as your marker instead of using a marker disc?

I have been in several sanctioned tournaments and have seen players called on not using a marker or not using a marker correctly. The majority of times, after the warning the player has done it correctly, but, I have seen a player get penalized and ended up DNF because they refused to either use their disc as it was or use a mini marker (after a few throws and getting penalized each time - they quit).

Old 09-07-2021, 05:37 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 378
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8,271 Times in 3,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiterboy View Post
When did mini markers become a thing? I never noticed anyone using one early '80s. Between the markers and the phone for keeping score and the bag there's a whole lot more fiddling around. I kinda miss three discs in one hand and a beer in the other.
Minis don't need to be a thing for the kind of casual round you describe. Nothing wrong with a few discs in one hand and a beer in the other.

But if you want to throw the same disc you just threw, during a competitive round, some sort of marker is a must.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-07-2021, 06:15 PM
Garrulous Windbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
What do you do when out of bounds/stuck in a tree/bush/lie is against a solid object etc.?
Lay down another disc, a bottle of water, any other object on hand, or just take a stance and throw with no mark.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:19 PM
Garrulous Windbag

Quote:
but do you leave your thrown disc on the ground as your marker instead of using a marker disc?

I have been in several sanctioned tournaments and have seen players called on not using a marker or not using a marker correctly. The majority of times, after the warning the player has done it correctly, but, I have seen a player get penalized and ended up DNF because they refused to either use their disc as it was or use a mini marker (after a few throws and getting penalized each time - they quit).
Yes, I use my thrown disc as my marker, unless forced to do otherwise, as detailed above. I'm sure some players take marking rules seriously. Most don't.

The lie is very important. The marker isn't.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:39 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 32.8
Courses Played: 741
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,757 Times in 1,537 Posts

Several rules in any sport were introduced to solve situations where player(s) took advantage of an unregulated or less regulated situation. The mini marker emerged for that reason when a particular player was seen taking multiple flips of his disc back in the 70s. As I understand it, the "lie" for your next stance was contact within the area where your thrown disc just landed. That's why flipping it was the way it was marked to provide the visual reference to its shape/diameter.

Changing the Lie to the LOP had to be introduced once mini markers came into play. I think the RC recently missed the "mark" by not changing or at least providing an optional marking method that indicated the width of your lie, and why wasn't it set at 21cm instead of 20cm? (Presumably since it's shorter than the smallest diameter disc? round number?) Might have been some interesting discussions within the RC and possibly the PDGA Board on this.