#11  
Old 09-29-2021, 03:22 PM
Ln108DD2's Avatar
Ln108DD2 Ln108DD2 is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Arlington TN
Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 203
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

This sounds similar to the guys who ripped off the Gorilla Boy Simian a few years ago.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-29-2021, 04:27 PM
ODRB's Avatar
ODRB ODRB is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,010
Niced 1,325 Times in 662 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
^Did Pound patent their design? If not, while still shady, you can't call this theft.
Clearly, you are not a patent/IP lawyer.

Theft is theft. Violation of trade dress is theft. Stealing your car, even if it isn't registered or insured, is still theft.

Look at the Squatch design. Even though there is no mini pocket, there are still the diagonal stitching lines where Pound puts their mini pocket.

It is egregious. It is theft. Plain and simple.

Last edited by ODRB; 09-29-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-29-2021, 04:52 PM
Emoney's Avatar
Emoney Emoney is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 90
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,763
Niced 1,153 Times in 587 Posts
Default

They are all backpacks....to claim theft is dumb...

Pound didn't copy parts of any prior DG or school backpack? Cmon.

Squatch looks dope...buy it
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-29-2021, 05:05 PM
ODRB's Avatar
ODRB ODRB is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,010
Niced 1,325 Times in 662 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
They are all backpacks....to claim theft is dumb...

Pound didn't copy parts of any prior DG or school backpack? Cmon.

Squatch looks dope...buy it
This is dumb, and not how trade protections (or basic decency) works.

Most every car has 4 wheels, a steering wheel, seats, wipers, etc. You can design another car around those shared basics without simply sending a Ferrari to a Chinese factory and asking them to build a knockoff.

Same goes here.

It's theft. And shady. And sad to think anyone in the DG community will support it.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-29-2021, 05:13 PM
ODRB's Avatar
ODRB ODRB is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,010
Niced 1,325 Times in 662 Posts
Default

Here's the saddest part, from Squatch's own website:

"My father and I found disc golf in 2016 and became immediately obsessed. After playing for a couple of years we started to notice our disc golf bags were falling apart, and they lacked many of the features we felt should be standard for any disc golf bag. So with our combined experience designing and manufacturing custom bags and cases for major companies all over the world, we set out to use those skills and create the best disc golf backpack on the planet. Every bag we make is designed with you in mind. Our passion for the sport is matched only by our passion for creating legendary products for our customers."

"With my background in marketing, and his 20+ years of experience in custom case design and manufacturing, one day a light bulb just went off during a round and we realized that we could create something so much better for disc golfers and help propel the sport forward. After a few months of talking it over and planning, we just decided to send it, and thus Squatch was born."

This knockoff is the best they could do after years of experience designing bags and marketing?

Nope, it ought to read "My dad knew some folks at a factory in China, and I made a website...."

Pretty sure what they mean by "we just decided to send it..." is "we bought a Pound bag and just decided to send it to a factory in China."


Eff these guys.

Niced: (3)

Last edited by ODRB; 09-29-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-29-2021, 06:16 PM
ThrowBot's Avatar
ThrowBot ThrowBot is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Billings, MT
Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 204
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,846
Niced 1,668 Times in 637 Posts
Default

Bruh, you blind? Look at the zipper flap on top of the putter quiver. It is sewn to the body of the bag on the FRONT of the bag. Pound sews that flap to the BACK of the bag. Totally opposite and not a ripoff.

Looking at the front of the bag, the Squatch does not have a bungee or a mini slot. The Pound Octothorpe has both of those features on the front. So it's like an entirely different design.

The flap-closure phone pocket on the Squatch is unique, not similar to any of the pockets on the Octo. Zero theft.

Straps are different, too. Octothorpe straps have webbing all the way up that connects to the top of the bag's body. The webbing on the Squatch strap ends a few inches above the sternum buckle. So that's a different strap design, or else they ran out of webbing.

How can the Squatch cooler insert be "stolen" from the Pound design? The Pound cooler insert doesn't even have a top closure!

So in summary: it's a completely different frolf pack. Not at all a direct and shameless copy of the Pound bag.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-29-2021, 07:29 PM
Countchunkula's Avatar
Countchunkula Countchunkula is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs
Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 184
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,584
Niced 751 Times in 330 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
Clearly, you are not a patent/IP lawyer.

Theft is theft. Violation of trade dress is theft. Stealing your car, even if it isn't registered or insured, is still theft.

Look at the Squatch design. Even though there is no mini pocket, there are still the diagonal stitching lines where Pound puts their mini pocket.

It is egregious. It is theft. Plain and simple.
Agreed. I'm not. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night though.

I think we agree that what Squatch is doing is wrong. I think you're reaching a bit here though. Not sure how the car example is at all relevant.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-29-2021, 08:35 PM
Emoney's Avatar
Emoney Emoney is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 90
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,763
Niced 1,153 Times in 587 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
Bruh, you blind? Look at the zipper flap on top of the putter quiver. It is sewn to the body of the bag on the FRONT of the bag. Pound sews that flap to the BACK of the bag. Totally opposite and not a ripoff.

Looking at the front of the bag, the Squatch does not have a bungee or a mini slot. The Pound Octothorpe has both of those features on the front. So it's like an entirely different design.

The flap-closure phone pocket on the Squatch is unique, not similar to any of the pockets on the Octo. Zero theft.

Straps are different, too. Octothorpe straps have webbing all the way up that connects to the top of the bag's body. The webbing on the Squatch strap ends a few inches above the sternum buckle. So that's a different strap design, or else they ran out of webbing.

How can the Squatch cooler insert be "stolen" from the Pound design? The Pound cooler insert doesn't even have a top closure!

So in summary: it's a completely different frolf pack. Not at all a direct and shameless copy of the Pound bag.
No! (stomps feet) it's theft! Call the police
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-30-2021, 12:23 AM
SSquirrel SSquirrel is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,044
Niced 27 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Doth Savek addressed it in the video and showed examples where things were different, even does a side by side comparison. It definitely isn’t a panel for panel clone. It may definitely be a movie soundtrack featuring some from and inspired by the film tho.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 09-30-2021, 11:48 AM
ThrowBot's Avatar
ThrowBot ThrowBot is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Billings, MT
Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 204
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,846
Niced 1,668 Times in 637 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
It is a panel by panel, stitch by stitch copy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
legend plastic kyledriver Discs 67 05-16-2018 02:41 PM
Legend Gauge & Gunmetal Legend Rival Quinum The Marketplace 0 02-06-2017 12:17 AM
My Legend Ghosts for you Legend Clutches smitdavi The Marketplace 2 07-28-2014 09:21 PM
Legend Rival for Legend Cannon mm1983 The Marketplace 5 02-16-2014 08:16 PM
Legend Rival anyone? Columbia gorge The Marketplace 14 12-27-2013 03:33 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.