Old 11-12-2021, 03:16 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 64 Times in 36 Posts
Default Disc golf and Youtube

Over the past year, the number of advertising interruptions on Youtube have grown in both frequency and length and have become insufferable. I had become a regular viewer of disc golf content in recent years, but I believe that I will be changing my habits. I turned on some coverage this morning and it began with 2 commercials, and then Youtube interrupted the coverage after every 2 holes for 2 more commercials. Hey Google! I don't care that you paid too much for Youtube. You're not making your problem my problem.

I now feel about Youtube as I once did Comcast when I cut the cable all those years ago due to expensive monthly fees and endless commercials. It would be nice if the disc golf content providers started their own platform and aggregated their content there. I'd be willing to pay a small monthly membership. As for now, it's the end of the season and a good time to change my habits. I'll miss you Jomez, CCDG, etc.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-12-2021, 03:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 655 Times in 336 Posts

Just install uBlock Origin in your browser, it blocks out youtube ads, and most other annoying ads as well. I couldn't imagine surfing the web without an ad blocker, all the ads are unbearably intrusive IMO

Old 11-12-2021, 03:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,321 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
Just install uBlock Origin in your browser, it blocks out youtube ads, and most other annoying ads as well. I couldn't imagine surfing the web without an ad blocker, all the ads are unbearably intrusive IMO

Can you walk me through the process to do this on my Sony television? Thanks.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-12-2021, 03:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 151
Niced 662 Times in 309 Posts

I hate to skip ads because watching the entire thing pays the creators more $, but gd these are getting crazy. The GKPro skins match had a 34 min ad run for me during a 38 minute video. Sorry guys, have to skip 'em when it's every other hole or worse.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:41 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 671 Times in 320 Posts

Last month during the highly contested governor race the commercials were insufferable.

I just stopped watching for 3 weeks.

Old 11-12-2021, 04:50 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
Thank you for the advice Wims. I do most of my watching on a Roku television.
I have to admit that as a consumer/end user I am quite stubborn. If I have to find a work around for someone's poor product I just cease to be their customer.

Last edited by Al Dente; 11-12-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,787 Times in 1,272 Posts

YouTube is getting bad about ads in general. If it wasn't bad, there wouldn't be any reason to upgrade to the premium version for $$ a month. It's annoying, but makes sense from a business sense.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 550
Niced 359 Times in 119 Posts

I finally broke down and signed up for Youtube premium.

It is GLORIOUS!!!

Old 11-12-2021, 06:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,575 Times in 772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Dente View Post
Over the past year, the number of advertising interruptions on Youtube have grown in both frequency and length and have become insufferable. I had become a regular viewer of disc golf content in recent years, but I believe that I will be changing my habits. I turned on some coverage this morning and it began with 2 commercials, and then Youtube interrupted the coverage after every 2 holes for 2 more commercials. Hey Google! I don't care that you paid too much for Youtube. You're not making your problem my problem.

I now feel about Youtube as I once did Comcast when I cut the cable all those years ago due to expensive monthly fees and endless commercials. It would be nice if the disc golf content providers started their own platform and aggregated their content there. I'd be willing to pay a small monthly membership. As for now, it's the end of the season and a good time to change my habits. I'll miss you Jomez, CCDG, etc.
Google bought YouTube 15 years ago... I'm not sure the cost of YouTube to them is why they've been increasing the advertising costs. I think it has more to do with the fact that they've determined people will tolerate it, and the amount of money they can make off of the ads will be more than the amount of money they lose from losing viewers like yourself.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:05 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Google bought YouTube 15 years ago... I'm not sure the cost of YouTube to them is why they've been increasing the advertising costs. I think it has more to do with the fact that they've determined people will tolerate it, and the amount of money they can make off of the ads will be more than the amount of money they lose from losing viewers like yourself.
Hell is other consumers.