#21  
Old 11-29-2021, 05:19 AM
Central Scrutinizer Central Scrutinizer is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Years Playing: 32.7
Courses Played: 152
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,184
Niced 1,275 Times in 483 Posts
Default

I had something similar happen to me about maybe 8 years ago or so? It was a guy with his own Disc though, just one putter he was carrying. I was at Oshtemo TWP Park in Kzoo on hole #5 from the shorts (a sharp dogleg left in the woods that I can't reach with a driver) as he walked up. I asked if he wanted to play through, looked like he was fast, and I figured it was a brand-new player with just the one Disc.

He was a lefty...and WHAM, mashed that putter on a perfect turnover...OVER the trees straight ahead and right at the pin. My jaw dropped to the ground. He quickly thanked me and was on his way to a pickup deuce that I never see anybody achieve with drivers. True, the trees were a bit shorter than they are now. I'm not sure that shot is possible now.

It was a younger guy and I don't really remember anything else that stood out about his looks. (Whenever my wife asks me what color hair somebody has I never remember that sort of thing; I'm such a guy.) I wonder if it was a young Reid Frescura? He's a lefty and from a town a little over an hour away. I don't know if he was playing at this point in time or not.

Best shot I've ever seen on that hole, and I'll likely never know who that was.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-29-2021, 07:46 AM
Nick Pacific's Avatar
Nick Pacific Nick Pacific is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 677
Niced 952 Times in 436 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig View Post
Why's it wrong to think just a local, amateur female couldn't unleash a disc 380'? If an amateur guy was throwing it 400 - 500', would anyone be asking the same question?
There are less than 10 women in the entire world who can throw a disc 400ft (actually 400ft, not internet distance) on a golf shot line. And they're all sponsored touring professionals.

So yeah, it is a big deal to see a random woman out walking her dog do that casually, with no warmup and using someone else's disc, with a fairway driver.

I'm voting it was Macie. She's one of those <10 people.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-29-2021, 07:55 AM
Nick Pacific's Avatar
Nick Pacific Nick Pacific is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 677
Niced 952 Times in 436 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I had something similar happen to me about maybe 8 years ago or so? It was a guy with his own Disc though, just one putter he was carrying. I was at Oshtemo TWP Park in Kzoo on hole #5 from the shorts (a sharp dogleg left in the woods that I can't reach with a driver) as he walked up. I asked if he wanted to play through, looked like he was fast, and I figured it was a brand-new player with just the one Disc.

He was a lefty...and WHAM, mashed that putter on a perfect turnover...OVER the trees straight ahead and right at the pin. My jaw dropped to the ground. He quickly thanked me and was on his way to a pickup deuce that I never see anybody achieve with drivers. True, the trees were a bit shorter than they are now. I'm not sure that shot is possible now.

It was a younger guy and I don't really remember anything else that stood out about his looks. (Whenever my wife asks me what color hair somebody has I never remember that sort of thing; I'm such a guy.) I wonder if it was a young Reid Frescura? He's a lefty and from a town a little over an hour away. I don't know if he was playing at this point in time or not.

Best shot I've ever seen on that hole, and I'll likely never know who that was.
I've got a similar story, although I found out who he was later. It was my first trip out to the Toboggan, maybe 2008ish, me and another buddy who were basically newbs with dx discs and starter bags, who had no business being out on that course but also had no idea how to navigate it.

I saw a guy throwing putts on hole 18 and canning everything and casually walked up and asked him if he knew the course and wanted to join us because we had no idea where hole 1 even was. He surprisingly jumped at the idea and was like yea I'm Scott, I know the holes. Once he bombed hole 1 and parked the shot I knew he was legit. Little did I know the guy was Scott Slater, who won AM Nats on that course just a few years prior (he never mentioned any of that!) Very friendly guy who showed us the course and the layout and couldn't have been more cool. I think that was my first time playing with an actual pro in person too.

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-29-2021, 10:29 AM
takman's Avatar
takman takman is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 584
Niced 231 Times in 118 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I had something similar happen to me about maybe 8 years ago or so? It was a guy with his own Disc though, just one putter he was carrying. I was at Oshtemo TWP Park in Kzoo on hole #5 from the shorts (a sharp dogleg left in the woods that I can't reach with a driver) as he walked up. I asked if he wanted to play through, looked like he was fast, and I figured it was a brand-new player with just the one Disc.

He was a lefty...and WHAM, mashed that putter on a perfect turnover...OVER the trees straight ahead and right at the pin. My jaw dropped to the ground. He quickly thanked me and was on his way to a pickup deuce that I never see anybody achieve with drivers. True, the trees were a bit shorter than they are now. I'm not sure that shot is possible now.

It was a younger guy and I don't really remember anything else that stood out about his looks. (Whenever my wife asks me what color hair somebody has I never remember that sort of thing; I'm such a guy.) I wonder if it was a young Reid Frescura? He's a lefty and from a town a little over an hour away. I don't know if he was playing at this point in time or not.

Best shot I've ever seen on that hole, and I'll likely never know who that was.
Did anyone insinuate that you were wrong for claiming that shot is even possible for a lefty throwing a putter?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-29-2021, 05:36 PM
Central Scrutinizer Central Scrutinizer is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Years Playing: 32.7
Courses Played: 152
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,184
Niced 1,275 Times in 483 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
Did anyone insinuate that you were wrong for claiming that shot is even possible for a lefty throwing a putter?
I saw it with my own eyes, and yes, it was absolutely a putter.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-29-2021, 05:51 PM
Guurn Guurn is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mpls, Mn
Years Playing: 35.7
Courses Played: 90
Posts: 757
Niced 37 Times in 26 Posts
Default

There are absolutely people that never play tournaments out there like that. I played a round with a random guy that carried a blowfly and a destroyer, that's it. He threw the blowfly on everything up to 340' and the destroyer after that. It was crazy. It made me wonder if he got a crazy stable blowfly or something. Another round I played with a guy that didn't miss a putt under 100 feet, I actually asked him if he played tournaments and he told me nope..no way. He used to lay a lot of baseball (I got the impression he was semi pro) and just fried on competition. He straight up said he'd never compete in any professional sport again.

I'm sure this is a known player but to say there aren't people out there with crazy skills is just silly.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-29-2021, 06:09 PM
notapro's Avatar
notapro notapro is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs
Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 550
Posts: 3,602
Niced 359 Times in 119 Posts
Default

I love hearing these stories.

Mine happened close to 15 years ago... was playing the local pitch n putt, Hole 8 is an open 420' with two large trees about 325' on the right side to avoid.

This is back when I only carried a Raven, or Firebird, or whatever else I just bought, didn't even know what putters were probably. A random guy was talking about disc selection on the tee, and was like "yeah, I like throwing a midrange on this hole so it doesn't fade out at the end" or something like that.

He then proceeds to park/overthrow this 420' hole with something resembling a yellow Buzzz (this image is burned into my brain, even after all these years) on a slow turning anny line. Still blows my mind, that's something the top pros are doing on coverage today, 15 years later. Jerk.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-29-2021, 06:14 PM
Dingus Dingus is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 717
Niced 631 Times in 292 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guurn View Post
He threw the blowfly on everything up to 340' and the destroyer after that.
Now I want to see how far Ezra can throw a blowfly.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-30-2021, 10:00 AM
takman's Avatar
takman takman is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 584
Niced 231 Times in 118 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I saw it with my own eyes, and yes, it was absolutely a putter.
I believe you....BUT did anyone ELSE insinuate that you were wrong for claiming that shot was possible? Ex. "Why's it wrong to think a lefty couldn't unleash a putter on Oshtemo TWP Park in Kzoo on hole #5? If a righty guy was throwing it , would anyone be asking the same question?"
Reply With Quote
 

  #30  
Old 11-30-2021, 11:31 AM
dmoore1998 dmoore1998 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 285
Niced 203 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guurn View Post
There are absolutely people that never play tournaments out there like that. I played a round with a random guy that carried a blowfly and a destroyer, that's it. He threw the blowfly on everything up to 340' and the destroyer after that. It was crazy. It made me wonder if he got a crazy stable blowfly or something. Another round I played with a guy that didn't miss a putt under 100 feet, I actually asked him if he played tournaments and he told me nope..no way. He used to lay a lot of baseball (I got the impression he was semi pro) and just fried on competition. He straight up said he'd never compete in any professional sport again.

I'm sure this is a known player but to say there aren't people out there with crazy skills is just silly.
Just for reference, I've played a bunch of rounds where I never missed a putt under 100 feet...nobody ever asks me if I'm a professional though
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HOD 3/28/19 - Milligan College DGC in Johnson City, TN - #8 chevis Hole of the Day 20 04-04-2019 12:15 AM
Johnson City TN Disc Golf Arocep DGCR Meets 4 05-16-2016 05:34 PM
Greensboro NC to Asheville NC to Johnson City TN hoppedup Vacations & Road Trips 3 10-20-2015 11:38 AM
Wingdeer Park. Johnson City,Tennessee StarFirebird Disc Golf Courses 21 08-17-2013 09:06 PM
Wing Deer Park Johnson City, TN GangStar Disc Golf Courses 3 11-16-2011 04:09 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.