#1  
Old 11-17-2021, 03:22 PM
ChrisWoj's Avatar
ChrisWoj ChrisWoj is online now
Common Core Crusader
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 152
Posts: 2,186
Niced 1,707 Times in 846 Posts
Default What do people charge?

I'm curious about what people charge for two different kinds of disc art... I don't see any threads or posts asking this on a search for "price" or "charge", so hopefully this isn't something I missed.

1. What do people usually charge for one-off art? For example: sharpie OR watercolorish brush dyes (prochemical+acetone)?

2. What do people usually charge for drawn art made into vector, sold to others to cut from vinyl?

An example of the quality of art attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 257893749_10100100784500230_8045060076782769442_n.jpg (132.1 KB, 54 views)
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-17-2021, 04:07 PM
ballgolfconvert ballgolfconvert is offline
Tiny White Balls
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Off playing with the DGCR crew
Years Playing: 38.5
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 667
Niced 325 Times in 218 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
I'm curious about what people charge for two different kinds of disc art... I don't see any threads or posts asking this on a search for "price" or "charge", so hopefully this isn't something I missed.

1. What do people usually charge for one-off art? For example: sharpie OR watercolorish brush dyes (prochemical+acetone)?

2. What do people usually charge for drawn art made into vector, sold to others to cut from vinyl?

An example of the quality of art attached.
For art like that, you get whatever peeps are willing to pay you.I would put a $3-5 tag on the one you posted + the cost of the disc.. Then again, I like to wipe the stamp off my discs.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-17-2021, 04:57 PM
ChrisWoj's Avatar
ChrisWoj ChrisWoj is online now
Common Core Crusader
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 152
Posts: 2,186
Niced 1,707 Times in 846 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
For art like that, you get whatever peeps are willing to pay you.I would put a $3-5 tag on the one you posted + the cost of the disc.. Then again, I like to wipe the stamp off my discs.
Well, thank you for at least making it clear that you're precisely the last person I should care about hearing from on this.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2022, 03:47 PM
smoothplayer smoothplayer is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 162
Niced 69 Times in 38 Posts
Default

A local charges $40-50 per dye with multi-color stencil type. I didn't ask about something simpler but I would guess 25-30? Does this sound reasonable to others. I assume some of these dyes can take several hours to do.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2022, 03:57 PM
txmxer txmxer is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas
Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,417
Niced 2,206 Times in 1,142 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
I'm curious about what people charge for two different kinds of disc art... I don't see any threads or posts asking this on a search for "price" or "charge", so hopefully this isn't something I missed.

1. What do people usually charge for one-off art? For example: sharpie OR watercolorish brush dyes (prochemical+acetone)?

2. What do people usually charge for drawn art made into vector, sold to others to cut from vinyl?

An example of the quality of art attached.
since this bubbled up to the top, question--can/how would the art work be made permanent?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-21-2022, 04:06 PM
ChrisWoj's Avatar
ChrisWoj ChrisWoj is online now
Common Core Crusader
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 152
Posts: 2,186
Niced 1,707 Times in 846 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
since this bubbled up to the top, question--can/how would the art work be made permanent?
TBH haven't taken time to really work on this project at all since this was posted. Monica has been doing a lot of drawing but not on discs...

http://instagram.com/theokwojo if anyone wants to give her a follow. She draws a lot of animals, some people, and some pop culture stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-21-2022, 05:39 PM
txmxer txmxer is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas
Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,417
Niced 2,206 Times in 1,142 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
TBH haven't taken time to really work on this project at all since this was posted. Monica has been doing a lot of drawing but not on discs...

http://instagram.com/theokwojo if anyone wants to give her a follow. She draws a lot of animals, some people, and some pop culture stuff.
I asked because my daughter is a fairly talented artist. I’ve thought of asking her to do some designs on discs, but hesitant because it can’t be paint and I don’t know how to “fix” marker.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #8  
Old 05-21-2022, 05:53 PM
jupiterboy's Avatar
jupiterboy jupiterboy is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Buffalo, NY
Courses Played: 3
Posts: 269
Niced 181 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Seems like most of the makers do custom runs. The process of get hot foil on a disc takes some skill and a reliable stamper. You've got to expect failures as well when the stamp doesn't take. Getting the heat perfect and allowing the time for it to be stable are key. Using dye and masks is cheaper for short runs, but not as permanent. You rely on the ink to stick with the plastic instead of melting a layer of foil onto the plastic surface. Cutting a mask is gonna by pretty time consuming, so a vector file is key.

The actual art is another story. Clean vector work takes time. An illustration style, though, is the thing of value. It's the brain that makes the lines. The production is just the production weighed against unit cost.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No! No! charge me more please..... Plastic Thunder General Disc Golf Chat 196 02-17-2020 04:15 AM
TOBU Charge sky_handy Discs 0 06-29-2017 06:17 AM
If you were in charge Keith H General Disc Golf Chat 120 06-23-2015 11:21 PM
What would you charge?? MN_DiscGolfer Disc Dyeing 9 06-16-2012 12:49 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.