Old 10-29-2015, 01:38 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Touch shots

I'm a little mystified by the distance that is beyond putting but shorter than a 50%-power "drive" with a putter. (For me, this distance is like 40'-80', but ymmv.) How do you throw this shot? Do you just keep dialing down your reachback/twist until you get the correct amount of power reduction through practice?

Sometimes I use a hyzer lob as a way to soak up the unneeded power (turning it into height instead of distance) and to avoid gliding past the basket--bad idea?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2015, 01:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Esra View Post
Sometimes I use a hyzer lob as a way to soak up the unneeded power (turning it into height instead of distance) and to avoid gliding past the basket--bad idea?
Great idea! I gave up on the touch floaty standstill putter shot about a year ago. It's always been a huge problem for me and never gotten much better. My go to approach shot from 80-200ish feet now is a soft spike hyzer with an RDG scale. It's a better shot for me. Also just less glidey putters in general for these shots (scale again) help me a lot.

I can still float one in there when I have to, but its not my go to strategy any more
Old 10-29-2015, 03:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,515 Times in 1,599 Posts

If you have height I like the slight hyzer or mild spike hyzer with a putter, it's like lobbing a rock at the target. You may not have as much of a chance of hitting chains with this shot, but you should always be in a very close radius.

This video is really good for showing how to do a slight stall/touch shot where you can "half run" the basket and have it land softly. This is not a very effective shot if it's windy though, but much better for low ceiling and if there's a sloped landing.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:47 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 41
Niced 667 Times in 375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Esra View Post
I'm a little mystified by the distance that is beyond putting but shorter than a 50%-power "drive" with a putter. (For me, this distance is like 40'-80', but ymmv.) How do you throw this shot? Do you just keep dialing down your reachback/twist until you get the correct amount of power reduction through practice?

Whether it's a spike (fairly straight up and straight down) or sliding shot, you should NOT try to make all of these. The more you "go for it" from this distance, the more you'll miss your follow up putt. Make sure you get a tap-in two from this distance. Once you ALWAYS make a two from that distance, THEN start to work on running it. DO NOT, DO NOT, just get trigger happy. Make sure you park it from the 40-150 ft out and get two from your lie. When that is second nature, run those 40-80 footers like a typical putt.

LAY. UP. FIRST.

Once that becomes comfortable start to slowly run it (go for the basket) from farther and farther.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,515 Times in 1,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
LAY. UP. FIRST.

Once that becomes comfortable start to slowly run it (go for the basket) from farther and farther.
Exactly. I know I'm bad at that distance for running it...so even if I do a 100% go for it no care for placement on an airmail miss, I'm probably 10% likely to hit a putt at a certain range around there. And less likely than that when I do the "half-go" type shot. But, the risk puts me at a probably 30% more likely to miss scenario for the comebacker. Is the <10% shot of making it worth 30% of missing the comeback putt? Not to me. Rule #1 for me is no 3 putts!

Eventually I hope to sink some of those longer ones more than once in a while though...plus the pro's automatic range is so large that their comeback putts that I'd be nervous on are just tap ins to them.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 8
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

It's a very common play these days to use a jump putt to make that layup shot a bit easier. Even the pros do it all the time.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 67
Niced 658 Times in 319 Posts

Do you have a Comet?
Old 10-29-2015, 07:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 15
Niced 422 Times in 268 Posts

That ulibari video is helpful, what I took away from it most was keeping the target in your line of sight. Depends on the shot really, spike hyzer, spike anny, low line drive with a putter. This is a shot I practice, it doesn't require much room really. Grab all your putters, plop your bag down in a space suitable for throwing, and try to land at the bag. A hula hoop or other larger target is also fun.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 20
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

The hyzer line isn't a bad idea if you have the room for it, but in the woods you don't always have that option.

Out to 70ft, I'm putting. From 70-120ft is my problem spot because I still want to run it, but if I can't go for it, I just go for the 2 and have no problems.

I face my target a little more open in my stance, I don't turn my head too far, I always have my right eye on the target (RHBH) and my reach back is only enough to cover the distance I'm throwing. And it's very important to follow through nice and smooth.
Too many guys I play with have this jerky tensed up chop throw with no follow through and they spray them all over the place, most can out drive me, but from 200ft and in, they can't get it close to a barn.

You need to find a disc that powers down well for you and you can release consistently. Take all your putters and mids to a football field and just throw them to the goal post from different distances on different lines, you'll find one that works best. At my local field, it's 190ft from a goal post to a lamp post, one way it's 20ft uphill and coming back it's down (Obviously) and I take 10 discs, from putters to Roc's, Mako and a Comet and I keep throwing them on all the lines they fly until I can put all of them in a comfortable circle around the pole. I actually think it's a fun game and doesn't wear your body out just hucking plastic as far as you can.

If you can get up and down in two from 200ft and in, you'll be better than most players out there on the course.

My go to is a Fuzion Judge, I can throw both small annies and hyzers with it and I use a Suspect if I need more fade. Recently been playing with a Whale and a Rhyno too.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:08 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 220
Niced 159 Times in 85 Posts

In the 40-80' range you should ABSOLUTELY be comfortable with your main putter. No need to go to another disc or anything drastic. It's a confidence and (perhaps) technique thing....you should be able to take a stack of your putters out to 80' and just make runs at the basket. If that's beyond your skill level at the moment, then do what someone else suggested and work on your consistent layup from that distance. When you're comfortable with that, start attempting to run the basket again.

Absolutely NO reason to go to another disc in that range. It'll only hurt your game in the long run. Putters should easily be handling most shots 150' and in.