Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 06-25-2018, 03:42 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Avery Jenkins sidearm throwing style...does it have an increased risk for injury?

I'm curious on thoughts about this. Would this style have more of increased risk for shoulder injury as opposed to pulling the disc back flat without the circular windup?

Thanks for board input.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ewCoZ8BwM
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2018, 05:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 180 Times in 94 Posts

I recently switched to a circular windup because it feels easier on my much-injured shoulder. The circular windup allows the disc to build speed more gradually compared with a shorter, flat reach-back.

For me, a lower pull line puts less strain on my shoulder. But I am trying to avoid aggravating an old water polo injury so my experience may not be universal.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,752 Times in 1,139 Posts

I don't think so, but probably depends more on your footwork.

For me the difference between the circular windup vs flat backswing has to do with footwork. If you use a real x-step or side-shuffle FH like Big Jerm and I do the flat backswing is much easier/longer.

If you do the non-x-step like Avery/McBeth, the circular backswing is easier, but I feel like I'm going tear my abs because I can't turn my hips/torso/shoulders back nearly as far and that might put more strain on the shoulder due to the shorter backswing.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 547 Times in 403 Posts

I recently re injured myself (minor) I use an Avery/PmcB style FH wind up and find that it's more in The follow through that the throw.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:26 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I started experimenting a bit with the Jenkins style the past couple of days. I have been throwing flat with a crow hop for quite sometime. I actually have found some more distance with the Jenkins style, but do feel some soreness on the lateral side of the upper arm/shoulder. I don't feel that when throwing flat. I will have to see if that persists with Avery style.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 547 Times in 403 Posts

This is exactly what I am experiencing. Im not good woth follow through on FH though. I knly recently began throwing FH on anything other than standstill approaches. I think that the AJ windup definitely allows you to get all the way into the disc.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:52 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe wearing some type of shoulder stability brace could help. Have to wait and see on that one.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 34
Niced 306 Times in 192 Posts

I've always felt like it looked like the circular windup was a bit superfluous. I mean ultimately they are starting the pull through on the flat plane from the back. I don't think it'd be more injury prone per se.

(Although all mcbeth, Jenkins and lizotte all employ this style and all have had injuries, I don't feel they're relatable)
Old 06-26-2018, 05:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,618 Times in 1,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by @iDiscGolf View Post
I've always felt like it looked like the circular windup was a bit superfluous. I mean ultimately they are starting the pull through on the flat plane from the back. I don't think it'd be more injury prone per se.

(Although all mcbeth, Jenkins and lizotte all employ this style and all have had injuries, I don't feel they're relatable)
My understanding is it's more of a timing/tempo mechanism to keep your arm/disc weighted. Like pumping the disc forward in the X-step on a backhand. Sure it's not the reachback and not the actual throw part, but it keeps things together and consistent as you move forward.

I tend to be more closed with a hop in the FH so the circular windup feels way too open and upright to me. I think it goes way more naturally with that stepping/walking FH shot it seems. From a more baseball background that style just isn't as natural for me.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:53 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 449 Times in 382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I don't think so, but probably depends more on your footwork.

For me the difference between the circular windup vs flat backswing has to do with footwork. If you use a real x-step or side-shuffle FH like Big Jerm and I do the flat backswing is much easier/longer.

If you do the non-x-step like Avery/McBeth, the circular backswing is easier, but I feel like I'm going tear my abs because I can't turn my hips/torso/shoulders back nearly as far and that might put more strain on the shoulder due to the shorter backswing.
Or you are like my dad and do the circular swing with the backhand old style almost x step shuffle type run up. It is interesting to see my dads style as he does the circular tuck. Odd but it works. He did that since the begging of throwing as a kid/teen he threw all catch discs forehand and will still do that now when playing catch or ultimate.