Old 08-03-2022, 04:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 142 Times in 63 Posts
Default Drills to fix premature reachback?

I'm (rhbh) reaching back before or during my X-step rather than simultaneously when my right leg extends to brace. My arm sits there waiting. I know it's a problem but my muscle memory doesn't let me fix it. Any ideas or drills?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2022, 06:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 802 Times in 477 Posts

Most recommend to walk past the disc or pendulum it back like Hammer x step rather than reach back. Also not sure you want to reach with the plant leg as much as land on it to pogo and do the Hogan power move aka Buttwipe.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-03-2022, 06:30 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 417 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsRudy View Post
I'm (rhbh) reaching back before or during my X-step rather than simultaneously when my right leg extends to brace. My arm sits there waiting. I know it's a problem but my muscle memory doesn't let me fix it. Any ideas or drills?
I think the only actual fix for this is to think about why you are even 'reaching back'. If you are doing it out of sequence, it basically means you are emulating what other people are doing, not feeling a reason to do it yourself.

If you were going to throw a heavy duffel bag, you would never try to statically hold it up in the air. You would swing with gravity intuitively.

This is the exact feeling you need to generate with your arm holding a disc. Id start without a disc at all, because your arm is easier to generate the feeling with honestly. Some people find holding a hammer helps, but you really should be able to make your arm feel heavy by itself in the same way.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:53 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 62
Niced 120 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingBoats View Post
I think the only actual fix for this is to think about why you are even 'reaching back'. If you are doing it out of sequence, it basically means you are emulating what other people are doing, not feeling a reason to do it yourself.
There is a fantastic Low T joke here...

I think the Elephant walk drill probably a good one here?

Reaching back is the worse thing one can do, its clunky and not smooth. There is no Rhythm to it.
Walking the disc out with a clean backswing vs muscling the disc behind you to emulate pro's who are not actually reaching back at all, .. yeah.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:10 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 37
Niced 580 Times in 255 Posts

This is such a great question, Brychanus nailed it. I find walking/gliding around the disc while leaving it in place is the best way to do this, but it won't automatically make you lead with the butt/hips so you still need to make sure you keep that last short and step out of the way of your "move."
Old 08-05-2022, 04:50 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 61
Niced 142 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brychanus View Post
Most recommend to walk past the disc or pendulum it back like Hammer x step rather than reach back. Also not sure you want to reach with the plant leg as much as land on it to pogo and do the Hogan power move aka Buttwipe.
Okay, will try.

Is a regular hammer best or will something like a 3lb small short sledgehammer-looking thing work even better?
Old 08-05-2022, 05:06 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 32 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
This is genuinely a hard thing to fix, and something I struggle with. The seabas22 hammer swing drill is correct, the pendulum take the guesswork out of the timing, but not everyone feels comfortable with the pendulum throw.

The best drill I have found is the door frame drill (walking around the disc). This is because if you push the disc back early the drill makes no sense. You end up letting go of the doorframe and catching it later. In practice this is hard to implement but should give you a good starting point.

Old 08-05-2022, 06:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 802 Times in 477 Posts

Quote:
Okay, will try.

Is a regular hammer best or will something like a 3lb small short sledgehammer-looking thing work even better?
The hammer is best to help ensure you swing the arm with the correct path and leverage. I'd say 5-10 pounds is usually the sweet spot. It's more about body feedback than strength, but too light and it's easier to cheat.

Other weighted objects can stand in too. Anything with a handle is better than something without one.