Old 08-11-2022, 04:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 802 Times in 477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
Speaking of which, in what field did you get your PhD? And can I ask if you are still in a research institution, or on to other prospects?
Clinical Psychology w/ specializations in Neuropsychology and Cognitive Neuroscience. My post-doc focused on neurorehabilitation using network science & neuroengineering. I'm now primary TT faculty up for tenure at a research university mostly supervising a lab doing funded research. I teach a bit during the academic year. I like what I do overall and its flexibility despite the industry's problems. I do fantasize about dropping everything and migrating to a disc golf hub city, thus my escapism here
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 08-11-2022, 07:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 40
Niced 1,047 Times in 498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brychanus View Post
Clinical Psychology w/ specializations in Neuropsychology and Cognitive Neuroscience. My post-doc focused on neurorehabilitation using network science & neuroengineering. I'm now primary TT faculty up for tenure at a research university mostly supervising a lab doing funded research. I teach a bit during the academic year. I like what I do overall and its flexibility despite the industry's problems. I do fantasize about dropping everything and migrating to a disc golf hub city, thus my escapism here
One of our best and oldest friends has run a grant funded lab at uni for many, many years now. I recognize that grind, but also how rewarding the work can be. Keep fighting the good fight, as they say.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
One of our best and oldest friends has run a grant funded lab at uni for many, many years now. I recognize that grind, but also how rewarding the work can be. Keep fighting the good fight, as they say.
Thanks - my engines are sputtering heading into submitting my promo materials, but I'm looking forward to the day after that.

Hey, here's a fun game. Ask your economist father and physicist sister for one piece of advice about disc golf and tell us what they say. Bonus points if they don't play and if it's specific to putting with their eyes closed.

Obligatory jokes as payment.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:53 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 120 Times in 80 Posts

I am just an Engineer. Ignore me.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
I am just an Engineer. Ignore me.
I've got more for you in that case. Closer to home for me (psychologist by training but with a closeted engineer's brain).

No one is safe:

Ever heard the one that "It is possible in practice, but not in principle"?
Old 08-12-2022, 04:32 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 103 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav;
In the case of putting, the scale of potential error is much, much larger. Putting with your eyes closed can, it would seem to me, enhance your ability to sense issues with your putting mechanic via proprioception. I think what it can’t do is allow the micro corrections required based on small errors in the initial positioning. You need to be able to do both.
On the other hand, this might be related to steering.

Yes, one can use visual feedback to correct location and end up in the right spot.

But those corrections, called steering in ball golf, make a smooth swing impossible. Once the swing starts I don't think you should make any corrections - if it feels wrong you should abort and start over, rather than realizing you're off the swing plane and trying to force it back in.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:02 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 417 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy42b View Post

Yes, one can use visual feedback to correct location and end up in the right spot.

But those corrections, called steering in ball golf, make a smooth swing impossible. Once the swing starts I don't think you should make any corrections - if it feels wrong you should abort and start over, rather than realizing you're off the swing plane and trying to force it back in.
I think its more complicated than this. You can use the 'frame' of vision without manually taking over and micromanaging the move.

Again, if this is not true, then...throwing with your eyes closed should be genuinely more accurate. It is not.

The way our brains integrate visual data to help with coordinating actions is super complicated.

Niced: (1)

Old Yesterday, 05:50 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 120 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy42b View Post

This is one of the issues, the problem is the correction, forwhatever reason, is made mid swing after the point of no return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingBoats View Post
I think its more complicated than this. You can use the 'frame' of vision without manually taking over and micromanaging the move.

Again, if this is not true, then...throwing with your eyes closed should be genuinely more accurate. It is not.

The way our brains integrate visual data to help with coordinating actions is super complicated.
I love how angry you are over the no eyes putting thing. =)

And no, your eyes increase the accuracy of the action with the coordination between each other.

But a poorly coordinated action can only be correct so much from the brain.

The point is to increase accuracy, not make corrections mid swing.
If you take a natural muscle memory ingrained movement and add eyes, vs taking a clunky non routine movement and make mid swing corrections.