Old 10-17-2014, 10:19 PM

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just picked up the 1/2" pvc to make the frame for $14.97 at Home Depot ($6.97 of that was on primer and cement because I couldn't find mine) so really ~$8 for the parts. I'm okay with that! I will post pictures later tonight of the bag loaded up with the frame inside it.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2014, 11:50 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any ideas for when new colors come out?
Old 10-18-2014, 01:52 AM

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 10
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is the finished product! Ran in to quite a few hiccups along the way, but I got it finished and it works how I wanted it to.
The issues I had were:
Apparently there are different length T's, 45's and 90's. What I mean is that the amount of material at the joint is greater on some. For instance mine had over an inch of material on the female end of the pieces. I don't know what sizes were used in the original build shown, but they seem to be much more compact then what I used. Essentially my T's were 3 inches long, which added quite a bit to the framework. Because of this I actually didn't even use the 3" pieces in the bottom, and my T joints sit flush together on the bottom.
The next issue I had was the length of couplers, and that was just purely my fault. If you have bigger joint pieces like mine, your couplers need to be 2" at least instead of 1". I didn't realize this until after gluing together and trying to stuff in the bag, which brings me to my next point.
The PVC I used appears to be much more rigid than what was pictured earlier, and I could not bend it. Thanks to this and the extra long joints my back pieces are actually just under 13" long instead of 15". And I decided to forgoe the front pieces because I was going to be unable to bend them in place, and I decided that they would probably hamper my ability to remove discs from the bag when it is fully loaded.

All in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I will be playing at least 3 rounds on long courses with uneven terrain and lots of climbing this weekend, so I will get to see how everything stands up.

Let me know if you want more pictures, I'd be happy to post some. Didn't think to take any during the build though, unfortunately.

Last edited by dmcm33; 10-18-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:30 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't see any pics
Old 10-18-2014, 04:10 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 34
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strive View Post
$11 plus tax at Ace (so you could probably get under $10 at HD or Lowes)

It's made of 1/2 pvc and I used

6 Tees
6 90* Elbows
2 45* Elbows

1 8' Stick of 1/2" water PVC

Cut list:

8-- 1" for coupling
2-- 3" to join the bottom together
3--10" for cross pieces
2--15" for the back (may check these yourselves as they apply the tension)
2--14" for the front (may check these yourselves as they apply the tension)

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them...

Thanks for taking the time to put this post together
I've got the frame built (Not Cemented) and the bag is on the way.
I don't need another bag, but couldn't pass this up.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 59
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got mine a few days ago. This is an (almost) exact grip rip off and I love it! I added a frame and it sits much better now. There is also a sort of secret pocket in the back of the bag that holds at least two more discs if you need more storage. With frame I've got 24 without I can get 26-27. Get one now as an extra.. I've got a feeling this $30 price point won't last forever
Old 10-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm hoping for blue, black, orange, or white in the next color line. When would this new line come out?
Old 10-20-2014, 03:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 180
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 68 Times in 54 Posts

What exactly does the PVC frame do besides make the bag stand up better? Honestly I feel like that bag stands up just fine on it's own. And I'm playing on mountain courses.

Last edited by bobmcnelly; 10-20-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 75
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Birdie Beast View Post
I'm hoping for blue, black, orange, or white in the next color line. When would this new line come out?
$30 bucks and people are wanting new colors. I doubt anyone on here would know the answer to that or if another run is coming out

Old 10-20-2014, 08:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 34
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcnelly View Post
What exactly does the PVC frame do besides make the bag stand up better? Honestly I feel like that bag stands up just fine on it's own. And I'm playing on mountain courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan44 View Post
The main issue I can see is that it will be flimsy if not completely full, and no dividers or internal rigidity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFox View Post
The only 3 negatives I can say about it so far is that when picked up by the strap you can tell that there isn't an internal frame and droops inward (17 discs inside). Also, maybe i'm not the smartest person but when I tried to put my small stool where the picture says it's supposed to go, there is a problem that arises. Either it will be too loose and your stool will flop back and forth or tight but will get in the way of the side pocket and you will have to take an extra few seconds to zip open to get your items. The third problem that is sorta nit-picking is the absense of an internal divider, unless fully packed your discs will fall and overlap on each other.

I'm doing it for the rigidity, but also to decrease the amount of discs it can hold as silly as that sounds. I carry about 15ish, and don't want them flopping around in there. I'm thinking i'll be adding a divider to the PVC frame. prly just slip a couple 3/4'' T's over the two 1/2'' bottom rails and bring it up, over, and down. Here are some terrible paint edits to Strives pics:

the blue is the T, red is the pvc, yellow is the 90deg elbows. hopefully it gets my point across. the divider will be 3/4, so the T will just slip right over the 1/2" allowing the divider to freely float back and forth.