Old 03-22-2015, 11:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

So many crazy rumors I've heard:
Innova's phasing out Star.
Innova's going to discontinue GStar because it was a flop.
Innova's going to send their reps to the houses of anyone who's ordered from the factory store and force them to eat ground up rejects of molds that aren't yet using the +mold rim configuration.

One of the top complaints about Star is that it's slick/lacks grip. I disagree, but I wouldn't be surprised if Innova spends the next year or two trying to make Star into a stiffer G* and ending up with a muddy mix of everything in between. I did like the blend they used in the Star Foxbat - clearly G* from the texture and pearly look, but much firmer.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2015, 11:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 61
Niced 31 Times in 22 Posts

Star always seemed pretty grippy to me, with champ being more slick imo.

Anyways... I just want some star thunderbirds
Old 03-22-2015, 12:12 PM
Par Member

Niced 23 Times in 13 Posts

I talked to Jussi Meresmaa last summer. He said that Innova wants to use Gstar & Champion as their premium plastic. Star is somehow more tricky plastic and it has some properties they don't like that much compared to Gstar.

Can't remember what else he said.

PS. Jussi has no S-line discs in his bag... ;-)
Old 03-22-2015, 06:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 44
Niced 667 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandelius View Post
I talked to Jussi Meresmaa last summer. He said that Innova wants to use Gstar & Champion as their premium plastic. Star is somehow more tricky plastic and it has some properties they don't like that much compared to Gstar.

Can't remember what else he said.

PS. Jussi has no S-line discs in his bag... ;-)
Thanks for the info! Just a little more confirmation of what we see them doing with the newer molds, although it is anecdotal. Jussi would probably know better than anyone outside Innova themselves. Although, it supports my theory, this also makes me sad since I really like Star.

I think Star is a little slick when brand new, but it beats in very nicely. I think Star is the best compromise between beating in quickly enough to cycle a mold, but not so quickly that its useful lifetime is compromised (like DX where most discs becomes unusably flippy fairly fast). Also, unlike GStar it's nice and stiff. Looks like it's time to stock up on Star Destroyers.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 28.7
Courses Played: 52
Niced 199 Times in 113 Posts

The best part of Star, for me, is that it beats in to a sweet spot without chunkage. I haven't chunked up any GStar, but I did get a significant gouge in a GStar Teebird that I believe would not have had the same effect were it standard Star. I enjoy Star Teebirds for this reason. I could obviously get a DX Teebird to the spot I desire quicker, but it would be one fugly looking disc, and rather uncomfortable to hold. Also wouldn't last long.

Just from playing tags and casual rounds at my local course I see a lot of Champion Thunderbirds out there. It seems to be really popular. So on one hand, production Star Thunderbirds would likely sell very well. On the other hand, if Champ Thunderbirds are selling like hotcakes, why make any sort of gamble with Star?
Old 03-22-2015, 07:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 360 Times in 225 Posts

you don't get chunks in star? I have. I know it's way more durable but it's not like champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekdo View Post
Star always seemed pretty grippy to me, with champ being more slick imo.

Anyways... I just want some star thunderbirds
usually, but I've had some star discs that feel like they are covered in olive oil
Old 03-22-2015, 09:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 21
Niced 7 Times in 5 Posts

Star start out slick, but as they beat in they get great grip also incredibly durable. Played a heavily wooded course and my buddy who torques a FH like no other drilled a tree three times in a row and his firebird had no gouges or debts. Star is my favorite Innova plastic and im not gonna pay Pro shop prices to get a disc that was available on the shelves two months ago.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:39 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 59
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was down at Innova East this week, Star isn't going anywhere and most of this stock is like the same star everyone is used to.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:40 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 97
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 16 Times in 15 Posts

Star plastic has awesome grip, at least the early San Marino blends do. I putt with a Star Aviar P&A and a Sirius Omega AP. If the grip was bad, I would not have trusted these putters for the past 8 years.

Sidenote, G* sucks. My cousin has a G* Aviar and I thought it was a poopy chain-out machine when I gave it a try.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 360 Times in 225 Posts

Gstar is god awful for putting due to the spit outs but it doesn't suck. It's fantastic for fairway drivers IMO. Every plastic has its downside, like how you wouldn't want to putt with champ.