Old 03-27-2018, 07:03 PM
Par Member

Niced 82 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Why just a name?
That is sufficient to meet the standard for uniquely marked disc for legit tourney play.
So is a question mark. Or the word "rice". Or a stick donkey.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 03-27-2018, 10:15 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 45 Times in 29 Posts

Simple. It goes in my bag as a disc for when there is a high probability of losing a disc. Don't erase their name or put mine on it (a simple mark is ok if in a competition that requires one).

Who knows when I lose it there is a possibility that the right person finds it
Old 03-27-2018, 10:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 290 Times in 185 Posts

Been in contact, gonna get him his nice dyed Destroyer back. I'm so phone-centric, never thought what a simple internet search could do. Legit.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-27-2018, 10:38 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 845 Times in 407 Posts

I used to put my name and number on ever disc I bought, thinking that, if I lose it, someone would call the number like I do ever time I find one. But, after losing several of them and only getting one of them back (not because the person called me, but because I found it in the disc lost and found box at Pyramids DGC) I no longer believe that a person will make any attempt to contact me about my lost disc. So, I do not bother to put my name and number on discs anymore. My lost disc will become the property of the next person who finds it, because that, by and large, is what people do, regardless of a name and phone number on the disc.

Hole #1 at Tully Dam DGC has a water hazard that swallows several hundred discs every year. A diver pulls them out twice a year and delivers them to the adjacent ranger's station. The rangers do not make any attempt to return discs to their owners, but expect the owners to come get them on the retrieval days. Last year, I visited the station the morning after the discs were pulled from the water, hoping to find two discs that I lost that year, only to find that of the 400 or so discs that were retrieved the day before, only a small number of junky discs remained. Literally no disc worth owning was left. There is no way that 350+ discs got returned to their original owners in about 12 hours.

When people on these forums relate stories of how they got their discs back, I am glad for them. But, I now consider lost discs to be a cost of playing the game, and simply view them as forever lost.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 34
Niced 345 Times in 217 Posts

Leave it.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 39
Niced 174 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by @iDiscGolf View Post
Leave it.
Hate to say, but this is exactly what I do these days.

Niced: (3)
Old 03-29-2018, 10:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 660 Times in 350 Posts

Ive found two before. Disconnected numbers on both, no name on one and a nickname on another. Tried to get them back to the owners but no luck. I really have no use for a worn, but nice, champ boss or a beat to hell, heavily heavily sharpied dx leopard. They are gonna live in my trunk lol
Old 03-29-2018, 12:19 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 72
Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Ive found two before. Disconnected numbers on both, no name on one and a nickname on another. Tried to get them back to the owners but no luck. I really have no use for a worn, but nice, champ boss or a beat to hell, heavily heavily sharpied dx leopard. They are gonna live in my trunk lol
Id use that one to test how far it flys into a lake or off a mountain top.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 603 Times in 443 Posts

I was looking for one of my own discs in a swampy pond - ended up finding a oldschool rhino - I could tell it was important - name was barely recognizable. I tracked him down, called, texted several times, months go by, I keep trying to return it, eventually we plan to meet up, it was kinda a pain - I got it back, he was happy - but, no reward, barely a thank you - I was the one making ALL the effort to get it back to the owner and I had to go in a swamp....I got a leech on my nads.....and Dude.....barely said thank you - I do 1 text/call if no response, its a water disc I'll use when playing in a risky spot. Either, LEAVE IT and move on or 1 text. I try to get it back but if the owner doesn't show effort....I earned it....a leech....my nads....yeah that's mine now

Niced: (1)

Old 03-29-2018, 01:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 193
Niced 719 Times in 468 Posts

I really enjoy returning discs to people that want to get them back. I recently got someone back a '15 Sexton, and someone else their Eagle MD3, and someone else a worn Star Destroyer. They were appreciative and one guy wouldn't let me go until I took some cash. It doesn't exactly give me warm fuzzies, but it's close.

Then you get other guys who make it so inconvenient to return discs that you wish you just threw it in a lake for them. Or guys who write "$$$ if returned!" and then can't even remember losing the disc and eventually say "Oh yeah, Joe bought this from me but I think he traded it to Timmy!"

In the end, I think the "leave it" strategy is a pretty good one, but I'll probably keep being a sucker and trying to contact people. I know I've been very appreciative the four times someone returned one of mine! That's about 4 for 40, but it's still nice to get a loved one back.