Old 10-31-2017, 10:18 PM

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 32 Times in 15 Posts

Oldsmar DGC / Sheffield Park is the reason why I disc golf. I live in the neighborhood. I went to the park with my daughter in Feb or Mar of this year, and we saw some disc golf baskets. After figuring out what they were, we decided to buy some discs and give it a try. I got hooked on the game pretty quickly, and now I play every chance I get. More often than not, I play at this park, since it is about 5 blocks from my house. I recently registered with PDGA, and just got my membership package in the mail yesterday. I'm playing in my first real tournament this weekend!

Regarding hole 12, as wellsbranch250 said, the basket is in a temporary location. It is very close to the red teepad. If you want to play it, you need to tee off from the gold pad. It might look short & straight based on the map image above, but it is actually pretty tough due to downed tree branches and stuff like that blocking a direct shot at the basket.

Maintaining this course has got to be really tough. I would imagine that the course conditions will improve over the winter, when we don't have hurricanes and the grass isn't growing a few inches per week.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 11-14-2017, 07:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 27.7
Courses Played: 22
Niced 16 Times in 15 Posts

They mowed hole 5 for the first time since weeds began to grow and it looks great! No standing water other than 17 which they moved the basket up so it isn't ideal but it's playable. 12 still has the basket in the temporary position but there is no standing water so they could put it where it should go for the first time. I am a bit disappointed they got rid of ALL the tiger grass in front of 9 basket. Just a trim would have been ideal. This course is shaping up nicely...

Niced: (1)
Old 11-14-2017, 09:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 420
Niced 862 Times in 305 Posts

did they leave the tall grass in front of 10 tee? I liked how the tee shot was framed going out the shoot.

I spoke with Trevor recently. He said he hope to have the final maintenance plan in place with the city by the end of the year and will open up the course for reviews then. Regarding 17, he has spoken with the army corps of engineers to come up with a remedy. It may involve some trenching alone one side of the fairway.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:13 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 View Post
did they leave the tall grass in front of 10 tee? I liked how the tee shot was framed going out the shoot.

I spoke with Trevor recently. He said he hope to have the final maintenance plan in place with the city by the end of the year and will open up the course for reviews then. Regarding 17, he has spoken with the army corps of engineers to come up with a remedy. It may involve some trenching alone one side of the fairway.
No. They got rid of all that tiger grass on hole nine and ten. That is great they will do something about 17. He mentioned the same thing to me but that was months ago and I haven't talked to him since. Overall, the course looks as good as it ever has this week.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:43 PM
Birdie Member

Hole 17 is finally back in the original location. All 18 can now be played as intended. There are still some issues with the maintenance around a few of the gold tees.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-31-2018, 09:47 AM
Birdie Member

I will be lifting the review hold soon. Trevor said February some time. There are just a couple of clean-up items left. All the final clean-up was left to the club as the city pulled the finishing resources. Hole 17 unfortunately flooded due to the heavy rains the past few days. That hole will either be redesigned or get a land dredging to funnel water away from the line.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 28
Niced 385 Times in 217 Posts

I love Oldsmar and think it is a great course. However, when I played 17 about ten days ago and saw the marsh plants and dried mud on the fairway, I knew it didn't bode well for the rainy season. I think 12 will also have some problems since it has fiddler crab burrows in that fairway which is located back in the mangroves.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:02 PM

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 43
Niced 18 Times in 10 Posts
Default Enjoyed Oldsmar Very Much...

I had a chance to play Oldsmar at Sheffield Park on Friday the 26th. Although breezy, the weather was clear and the course was mostly dry. We decided to play from the white tees, but took a look from each available gold tee. I can see how this will be a genuine pro-level long course over time.

I really appreciated layout and variety of shots. Pin placement was usually excellent, making use of the tree line or natural features to require precise approaches. Hole 15, which plays long then dog-legging down along a canal, was a highlight hole for me, requiring pin point 2nd and 3rd shots to have a long putt at a secluded basket. Great design.

Congratulations to Tampa Bay players on working to add/fine tune/maintain a very high quality disc golf experience for area visitors, now with Oldsmar as another destination.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-01-2018, 12:11 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrance View Post
I love Oldsmar and think it is a great course. However, when I played 17 about ten days ago and saw the marsh plants and dried mud on the fairway, I knew it didn't bode well for the rainy season. I think 12 will also have some problems since it has fiddler crab burrows in that fairway which is located back in the mangroves.
Baskets get moved up on both of them when it's wet. I don't see twelve being improved but a large ditch on seventeen could fix that fairway.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:15 AM

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 30
Niced 32 Times in 15 Posts

They dug a pit / small pond on the left side of the 17 fairway, and put the dirt onto the fairway to elevate it a month or so ago. It is now high & dry. They removed the large brush pile in front of the white tee at the same time. They also added some fill to the low spot on 5 at that time. 12 is playable in the current condition. I'm not sure if that will change in summer with heavy rains and higher tides, but it is good now. The course is complete and can be played from all tee positions.

I'm interested to see some reviews. Will the hold be lifted soon?

Niced: (3)