Old 05-17-2018, 08:58 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 53
Niced 6 Times in 1 Post

Here is the correct sequence of events and what happened, since so many of you are in need of a clue.

1) FFDGC starts planning for the 2018 Bloom, so BR (the propery stewards, the land is owned by the County) and BGDC (the business that rents the ability to charge for and maintain the course) are approached in order to plan, clear dates, etc....as always.

2) In the past tourneys, money as been paid to both BR (checks of pre-determined amounts and in the erailer days, out of pure thank you. i.e. hunders of dollars) and to BRDG (in the form of them handling all AM prizes thru their pro shop i.e. several thousands of dollars). But this year the prices where different. Much higher, and the club was presented 3 options. All 3 options were discussed and turned down. This includes the option where OGs (I am one, and a *former* FFDGC board member) would get lifetime seasons. Note, the 3 options were written up by BR and/or BRDGC and turned down y FFDGC. So regarding the notion that the club expected lifetime passes as being important or conditional is bull****... they were offered and turned down, so GFYS.

And since I was not part of the discussions I can't say exactly why the options were turned down but I can guess. That the club could not afford the added costs, or more likely, did not want to.. the Bloom has had notoriously high payouts (go look) and that is because the club raises/adds a lot of cash thru sponsorship. i.e. The non DG community loves us. This added cash is also why they've been able to have CCDG out filming, perhaps that was more important to the club then paying BR/BRDGC the new fees. On behalf of FFDGC, "you're welcome, enjoy the coverage".

3) A few weeks ago the TD (and club president) posts an announcement to FB that the tourney this year would only be at one course, kinda something players should know since it always included Beaver Ranch. The announcement included the following (I asusme since the logical question would be "why not at BR?")...

Quote:
We tried our best to secure a second location to accommodate more people but it isn’t in the cards for 2018. Beaver Ranch threw us a curveball when they pulled all of their previous support and decided that FFDGC can only run a one-day tournament at the end of October. We recommend that everyone supports the Bailey Disc Golf Course! Bailey DGC is operated by BOERA (non-profit 5013-c) and the funds that go into the donation box go directly back to the park or to the Platte Canyon School District.
Of course there were comments about change, and people not happy about it. But IIRC (check me if you wish), no club board member or the TD really got into the details as to why or taloked any ****. Regardless, pleny of people not pleased.

4) Then BRDG posted to FB their defense to FFDGC's announcement and then got their ass handed to them by the DG community. Many comments there are tame or constructive were deleted from this post BRDGC. Conventienly any there were over the top, or threatening were NOT deleted.. a clever way to paint the scene... our scene. Anyway, many have voted with their wallets and boycotting.

Disc Golf Community,

Quote:
As many of you have probably already heard, The Bloom tournament will not be hosted at the Beaver Ranch Disc Golf Course this 2018. This is unfortunate news to the BRDGC crew as we worked hard in crafting terms that would have been mutually beneficial to both the FFDGC as well as BRDGC. The previous Bloom in 2017 resulted in a substantial financial loss for BRDGC. In an effort to see that The Bloom happened with us this year we presented 3 varying deals to the FFDGC that would have resulted in the club paying absolutely NO MONEY out of pocket. Unfortunately we did not hear back from the FFDGC for over a month. The response back from the club was that THEY CHOSE NOT TO HOST THE BLOOM WITH US in 2018. Not once did the FFDGC ever approach the BRDGC with a counter to any of the 3 deals that were offered. Not once did we demand that the FFDGC needed to move The Bloom to a one day tournament in Fall 2018 nor did we, or have we, pulled our support for The Bloom or FFDGC. It was solely the FFDGC who chose not to host The 2018 Bloom at BRDGC. We know this tournament is near and dear to many of you, including ourselves, and being the unique situation this is, and the lies surrounding this, please feel free to call 720-295-9490 for additional information.

-B.R.D.G.C.
More facts and opinions:

1) Yes, FFDGC founded and built the Beaver Ranch course. Since Destination Disc (previous renters and charges of the course) has not been involved there as been zero course improvements. This is despite the 2$ course fee increase. BRDGC has been MUCH better at moving baskets on the regular, so some props to that.

2) The pay-to-play and increase in price was mention in comments, but it had nothing to do with the decision to not have the Bloom there. Beaver Ranch has been a pay course for quite some time with no outrage. Any local or regular likely buys a season pass anyway. I don't even think I heard one person bitch about the season pass cost increase.. maybe 10 (or 20?) dollar increase and that's still a bargain! More people are prolly pissed that they gave their money to an organization that clearly does not give a **** disc golf or our club.

3) Speaking of hosting the Bloom. What public park that makes most of its money on Disc Golf, zip-lining, weddings, and camping would not love to market to the 200 players (plans were for 300 in the future, dunno now) that come to their venue. What type of DG company would not take one weekend off from not charging the players (most of which pay to play there all the time, or have a season pass, already) as a way to say thank you, please come again. The answer is organization that have no creativy or hustle. Really, is there no other way to make some money on that weekend, to that audience? Really?! Maybe a field trip to Emporia might help these geniuses.

No, it's about player fees and rents for a course that only exists but for the club hosting the tournament.
To all those making money off that course, "you too are welcome." Too bad your business models collapse with only 51.5 weeks of business per year.

4) DG is a tight community, the only reason BRDGC is part of our community is because they profit from it. Never once have I see the current owner of BRDGC throw a disc (ok, fine) nor have I seen him on the course working and improving it (not fine! what are we paying for?).

-travis (former cutter of trees, collecter slash, pourer of concrete, chipper of wood, and maker of OB at Beaver Ranch)
Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2018, 09:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 116
Niced 249 Times in 100 Posts

I don't know or care about the details, but if you guys want to toss out vendetta-type, artificially-low ratings, you are not improving your position. You can't justify it.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,260 Times in 592 Posts

I would've pulled the baskets yesterday.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-17-2018, 10:35 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 133
Niced 770 Times in 404 Posts

It's just a case of a disingenuous new person coming in with a new agenda... The club is only a part of that inasmuch benefit it can bring... and bring...and bring. The new owner is a taker and a liar. I think he's entitled to be that way while still condemning it overall.

Mando is right in hindsight...I'm sure that this feels like a reasonable recourse, but these reviews are not helping anyone. We have the Wall feature and these forums to get your message out.

Really sorry about the Bloom 2018 fiasco... will the one course layout work out?

Niced: (2)
Old 05-17-2018, 11:14 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 53
Niced 6 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
I don't know or care about the details, but if you guys want to toss out vendetta-type, artificially-low ratings, you are not improving your position. You can't justify it.
"You guys" != FFDGC. There is no cartel, and never a call to do anything. BRDGC is actually who opened the can of worms.

Also, I found nothing wrong with a vendetta against someone you don't like, at least when it comes to whether or not you give them your money. NO PROBLEM.

I was telling facts as they occurred and countering the people talking out there asses... pay-to-play, $2 increases, lifetime passes, and disc golfers being ungrateful and cheap had nothing to do with anything, consider it justified.

Also, I don't give a **** about the BR rating. Hell, half the people lowering the rating prolly originally gave artificial 5.0s because they love BR, and now they don't.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:22 PM
*Administrator*

It's petty though and not appreciated as you'd have hoped. This thread is perfect though. A lot of people agree with you and many more who probably just read and didn't post.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,880 Times in 811 Posts

Yikes.....what a mess. This is always the risk when volunteering. I have seem similar things with park systems and municipal owned and run courses. A change in leadership bring about a new vision, budget and priorities. Staying positive and working hard to build and maintain a working relationship is really the only option. This is not always fair or easy to swallow, but few things in life are. Negative reviews, boycotts and social media campaigns are counterproductive and poorly thought out. Volunteer work entitles you to nothing. Profit and business decisions are based on monetary considerations only. Personally, boycotting nearly anything seems kind of ridiculous to me. Intentionally withholding something I love, to teach a business a lesson is usually only painful to me. I am sure, if the disc golf community continues to be a pain to the owner/operator, the course will simply be lost.

I don't want to seem unsympathetic, because I understand the frustration. But, change is inevitable. Good luck to you Rocky Mountain disc golf nuts. I hope cooler heads can prevail and BR can continue to operate and be appreciated by many golfers in the future.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:36 AM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 542
Niced 763 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
I would've pulled the baskets yesterday.
I'd think this would get the point across more than anything. But maybe that's what the new owners are really going for...get the club completely out of the picture.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:47 AM
*Administrator*

The relationship is irreconcilable at this point... I'd think...unless someone steps up and is diplomatic. Probably the result will be the club and the course decoupling otherwise.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 51
Niced 217 Times in 142 Posts

I'd say when this issue first popped up my reaction was that it was just another example of entitled, angry disc golfers. Having now seen how the transition was handled and how the (unilateral) "negotiations" surrounding hosting The Bloom progressed, I can totally see where the disc golfers are coming from and would similarly be frustrated were I ever in that situation.

As to the boycott, while posting the reviews certainly puts the club in a bad light, I have no problem personally with a boycott; it's the whole point of free market consumerism. Don't like what someone's doing, don't buy their product or use their service. If enough people do that, the product/service provider either changes or collapses, and a new provider rises in their place.