Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 712 Times in 292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colink View Post
Wanted:

Media Partner with experience filming outdoor sports events, providing commentary and editing. Experience with Adobe editing tools a plus. Preference will be given to candidates with 400'+ backhand and 90%+ C1 putting. Exciting travel opportunities and media exposure await you.
post that on reddit and RIP inbox.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-04-2019, 05:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 105
Niced 639 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
...Recall how hard it was to watch Jamie back when SpinTV started? He's among the best now because he kept at it. Cory def has the a similar drive to make things happen in DG media, and I think he provides great insight for an am player, second only to Sexton.

However it starts/ends, I'm happy to see people making the effort to EXPAND FREE DISC GOLF COVERAGE!
I'm guessing Cory would definitely regret leaving CCDG if his career path would follow a Jamie Thomas like trajectory. Not to take anything away from Jamie, as I've enjoyed his efforts w/SpinTV, but he was once the face of DG commentary and has since evaporated.

I'm guessing if it doesn't work out for Corey on his own and he starts to fade into oblivion, CCDG will take him back with open arms.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:59 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 72
Niced 130 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTooLong View Post

I'm guessing if it doesn't work out for Corey on his own and he starts to fade into oblivion, CCDG will take him back with open arms.
Especially if Jomez keeps blowing CCDG out of the water in the battle royales.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:54 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 48
Niced 64 Times in 25 Posts

Bummer to see him go from CCDG, but I think it's awesome that there is opportunity for more people to (potentially) make it doing something related to DG media. Good Luck Cory!
Old 02-05-2019, 01:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 127
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 315 Times in 97 Posts

My unasked for unpopular opinion: Ian is still plenty watch/listen-to-able, I kind of like AJ as a commentator, I still love champs vs chumps, and honestly I'm more likely to watch the PDGA media if they have someone known with experience helping them now

Old 02-06-2019, 04:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,403 Times in 423 Posts

Quote:
I'm guessing Cory would definitely regret leaving CCDG if his career path would follow a Jamie Thomas like trajectory. Not to take anything away from Jamie, as I've enjoyed his efforts w/SpinTV, but he was once the face of DG commentary and has since evaporated.

Oh no, I hope I haven't evaporated! I didn't do a great job of explaining my transition, so I shouldn't be surprised by that.

I'm over at Ultiworld Disc Golf now helping to grow the scope and variety of content, in fact this week is my 1-year anniversary on The Upshot Podcast. (Cue the hype music here) I'm very excited about the future, we're working on some cool stuff - more podcasts, grow the YouTube channel presence, etc.

I'm honored that I spent any time at all as the "face of DG commentary" - it was never really part of the game plan, it just kinda happened and I wasn't totally prepared for it. I think Cory's rise was in similar fashion. Having someone like Ian there with him was very valuable and gave him instant credibility, which he capitalized and expanded upon. I see this as him attempting to further stretch his legs and tell stories his way, and I wish him luck.

I think you're right, that he will find an initial dip in his "presence", though not nearly as much as me, because he'll be on the road more than I have been (though I'm going to more events this year than previously). Tournaments are still the "water cooler" for the sport, if you're not there, you're not being seen. That will change one day, but for now it's the way things work.

Good news is...with all this media shakeup in the offseason, there will be tons of stuff to watch in 2019!

Old 02-06-2019, 05:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 105
Niced 639 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Jamie, I am totally aware of your involvement with that podcast, I just don't equate that with commentating the world's biggest disc golf tourneys on what was by far my favorite channel at the time.

I'll always appreciate your work there and will miss memorable calls such as "Manabu Kajiyama is Japanese for smoooooth".

It is an exciting time for disc golf media and every year it seems like there are new breakthroughs. Cory has a great idea to highlight our players in a new way and I wish him and you both nothing but the best.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-06-2019, 06:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,403 Times in 423 Posts

Quote:
Jamie, I am totally aware of your involvement with that podcast, I just don't equate that with commentating the world's biggest disc golf tourneys on what was by far my favorite channel at the time.

I'll always appreciate your work there and will miss memorable calls such as "Manabu Kajiyama is Japanese for smoooooth".

It is an exciting time for disc golf media and every year it seems like there are new breakthroughs. Cory has a great idea to highlight our players in a new way and I wish him and you both nothing but the best.
Thanks!

I totally agree, the voices on the calls for edited (and 2nd place: Live) coverage get the biggest spotlight.

One way that Cory and I think similarly is that we both aim to widen that spotlight to other types of content. Whether either (or both) of us will ultimately be successful in that endeavor remains to be seen. Both he and I are fans of the game League of Legends and the "LCS" (the professional league for the North America region) - and I think he's looking at guys like Travis Gafford, who was kind of a vlogger/streamer who knows the eSports pros and transitioned into a media personality for that scene.

However, that does bring another similarity to what you're saying. The "shoutcasters" (broadcasters for the LCS) are the most well known media people because of that platform and the direct proximity to the pros performing.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 789 Times in 427 Posts

To be honest, SpinTV has faded too. The growth and quality of coverage has taken leaps and bounds, and you only need to go back a few years to see the difference. Pick a video and see for yourself. Just watched USDGC 2015 and even though it was the bees knees at the time, it just seemed drab and boring now.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 1,604 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colink View Post
Wanted:

Media Partner with experience filming outdoor sports events, providing commentary and editing. Experience with Adobe editing tools a plus. Preference will be given to candidates with 400'+ backhand and 90%+ C1 putting. Exciting travel opportunities and media exposure await you.
Soo I told you guys I was talking to Paavo right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinmd View Post
Sorry I was referring more towards the Chump superhero angle of Johnny Football coming to save the day then the entire premise of Pro champions taking on regular am disc golfers. When the dude is rated 980 Pro, he really is no longer a Chump per say.
I've got him by 9 points.

But yeah this should lead to more pros doing commentary on CCDG. I've got Eagle lined up for WTO, Barsby for LVC, Seppo for Daniel Boe, and Sexton for Canadian Nationals. I'll fill in the others as we go

I think this move will be good for DG and Cory. We'll get some content the sport was missing. If it doesn't work out, CCDG will be here for him. I don't see that happening as hard as Cory works though.