Old 12-17-2019, 04:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,231 Times in 667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I've been meaning to pick up Hemp Magics...what's the skinny on the feel/stiffness?
Only have two others to compare it to, a Glow (which I think is an SSS) and a regular SS. Definitely tackier than the SS, but not much more pliable. Most putter plastics feel pretty rigid to me coming from Jawbreaker.

Bit of grit, but not as much as RW-Pro or the Rubber Blends I have.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-17-2019, 04:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,520 Times in 1,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Only have two others to compare it to, a Glow (which I think is an SSS) and a regular SS. Definitely tackier than the SS, but not much more pliable. Most putter plastics feel pretty rigid to me coming from Jawbreaker.

Bit of grit, but not as much as RW-Pro or the Rubber Blends I have.
Nice, sounds like I would dig it.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 146 Times in 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassidy1990 View Post
Yeah I like Gateway right where they are.

They let a 20 something year old come in with very little money... And create a disc golf line with mold pieces tooled to my design requirements.

Dave is crazy. But he's actually pretty awesome when he is in the mood.

I'm forever grateful for what he did for me and for my DG area. Tons of great courses he's designed.
Except for the all recycled blend plastic Reptilian is kind of in a tangential way already this!

Good job guys!

ps. I know a goal for you guys for next year!
Old 12-17-2019, 08:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 10
Niced 51 Times in 30 Posts

It's funny people mention they need to change, but they have really been killing it the last few years with better plastic and mid/driver options. Maybe they don't aggressively market like some of the other companies that have come along in the last decade or so, but I have an all Gateway bag and for what it cost me to build it I'd say you get the best bang for your buck than any other company (threw mostly Innova with some Discraft for the first 5 years or so I played) with their direct sale site and people that work for the company like Mike or Dom always putting nice picks from the factory up on the FB auction sites.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 131
Niced 183 Times in 95 Posts

Although I putt with MVP putters now, I've never thrown a putter from Gateway that I didn't like. The stiff ones are great driving putters and the soft ones grab chains. Bead, no bead, understable... they have a solid putter lineup. Not a lot of sales promotion in the DFW area for them. Honestly, the only driver I've thrown from them was not PDGA approved (Ninja). It would be a shame if you couldn't get a Wizard.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.8
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,034 Times in 665 Posts

The only rebrand Gateway needs to do is to focus on putters only, acknowledge their strength and own it.

Nothing wrong with small runs of their more popular other discs. Special runs would enhance appeal.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,736 Times in 1,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Gateway will always be an amazing success story of a company making it up on the fly and getting away with it. To rebrand them implies they ever had a brand in the first place, and I wouldn't go that far. I think the entire business plan there is "I'm tired of running this construction gig, I think I'll try making Frisbee's instead." He's still trying and doing it well enough that he doesn't need another job. Success.

We look at Gateway as story of unrealized potential and try to make them seem like a failure, when in fact it's the slackers paradise. I've known at least a dozen people who jumped in there with the idea to introduce sound business principals and take Gateway to the next level, and they all walk away frustrated. The place is immune to sound business principals, yet there they are. They are still selling Frisbee's. It's amazing.

We should stop trying to change Gateway and marvel at what they are, because the fact that they are still around is an astounding tale of how to half-ass life and get away with it. They are a company that truly represents disc golf in every way, and we should learn to appreciate that.
That's even better than his ..Each Groove is a unique snowflake of suck post.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 12-18-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 803 Times in 431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disctildeath View Post
It's funny people mention they need to change, but they have really been killing it the last few years with better plastic and mid/driver options. Maybe they don't aggressively market like some of the other companies that have come along in the last decade or so, but I have an all Gateway bag and for what it cost me to build it I'd say you get the best bang for your buck than any other company (threw mostly Innova with some Discraft for the first 5 years or so I played) with their direct sale site and people that work for the company like Mike or Dom always putting nice picks from the factory up on the FB auction sites.
Been thinking about creating an alternate shadow bag just for fun, and a full Gateway bag intrigues me. Tough to find in Finland tho but that would make it even more fun. Thanks to this discussion I will likely do it next season.

Edit: at the risk of thread derail, what do you suggest? You can see my setup in my sig. I throw about 350 max and like to work stable discs on several launch angles. The only US molds in there are PMD3, SCD2 and the other Rampage.

Last edited by Flick Maniac; 12-18-2019 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:58 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 61
Niced 166 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Gateway will always be an amazing success story of a company making it up on the fly and getting away with it. To rebrand them implies they ever had a brand in the first place, and I wouldn't go that far. I think the entire business plan there is "I'm tired of running this construction gig, I think I'll try making Frisbee's instead." He's still trying and doing it well enough that he doesn't need another job. Success.

We look at Gateway as story of unrealized potential and try to make them seem like a failure, when in fact it's the slackers paradise. I've known at least a dozen people who jumped in there with the idea to introduce sound business principals and take Gateway to the next level, and they all walk away frustrated. The place is immune to sound business principals, yet there they are. They are still selling Frisbee's. It's amazing.

We should stop trying to change Gateway and marvel at what they are, because the fact that they are still around is an astounding tale of how to half-ass life and get away with it. They are a company that truly represents disc golf in every way, and we should learn to appreciate that.
When I was about 17 or so years old, so about 2005, I was playing at Jefferson Barracks with my cousin and happened to stumble upon Dave's cell phone. This was back when the shop was still sitting next to the course. I called one of the most recent numbers on the phone, and they immediately notified Dave.

Within about 5 minutes, Dave came strolling down the 17th or 18th fairway on a bicycle and he invited my cousin and myself into his shop. He showed us all of his different machines, how he made his discs, baskets and was one of the nicest people I had ever met in the disc golf community, especially at the time.

He gave us a tour of his whole place, let us look through some different boxes of plastic; we had just sort of started playing so we had know idea what we were looking for. But, before we departed the shop, Dave recommended each of us a disc to take for returning his phone and let us stamp them with whatever stamp we wanted. Not sure of what disc it was (probably a prototype back then), but I swear that was one of the best discs I ever threw. That was my very first impression of Dave and it went a long way and I have always had a lot of respect for him since that very day.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,720 Times in 751 Posts

Besides, if Gateway re-branded themselves, folks would be expecting more and failing to meet some peoples expectations of success , we'd end up seeing a "has Gateway peaked thread".