Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 01-06-2020, 06:10 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 5 Times in 2 Posts

Distance- Innova Destroyer, Tern, Boss (holds distance world record)

Fairway- Innova/Discmania Teebird, Firebird, FD

Midrange- Discraft/Trilogy is catching up Comet, Buzz, Wasp or Truths, Verdicts, Compass, EMAC

Approach- Discraft Zone with a plastic blend for any ones taste (Imitated by almost every other company right now but not in enough plastics)

Putter- Preference but Innova/Gateway maybe! Aviar family or Wizard
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2020, 06:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,191 Times in 651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Wolfmandragon
I read that wrong. I thought you were saying, you were the second person to question that Discraft had the best mids.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
...My problem with Discraft is their lack of plastic options. I can't grip Z plastic (or any champion clear type for that matter) and so many of their molds only come in Z, yeah, yeah, there are special runs, but nothing I can just paw in a shop. There last run of X plastic has been pretty dang slick too, and their D line is probably some of the worst plastic out there. To me anyway. I also don't see how Discraft has some elite lock on mids either.....
Every mold I'm driving with has regular production runs of ESP. And X is slick compared to what? Pro? Those start slicker than X, especially taking into account the lack of give. Pro does wear in muuch nicer, though, so there is that trade off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
How does that equate to no one coming close?
It's a bit of hyperbole, but I will say no other mid comes close to having the following the Buzzz has. Always at the top of Infinite's top selling midrange list, and only mid to make the top ten overall list, which it does every quarter it seems.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:32 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 540 Times in 205 Posts

I’ve been liking my Innova drivers, Discraft mids (and the Zone), and Gateway putters.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:00 PM
Par Member

Niced 59 Times in 41 Posts

For as popular as the Gateway putters seem, especially the wizard, I seldom come across anyone using them. I see tons of aviars and P2s and a lot of the trilogy stuff (deputy, judge, warden, etc.) but almost never see anyone throwing a wizard or magic or voodoo. Weird.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,708 Times in 745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Every mold I'm driving with has regular production runs of ESP. And X is slick compared to what? Pro? Those start slicker than X, especially taking into account the lack of give. Pro does wear in muuch nicer, though, so there is that trade off..
That's the molds you want and throw, not the ones I want to throw.

And I don't have to make any comparison, you don't have my fingers, how do you know what feels slick or not to me?

And why can't Discraft make a decent base plastic? I have a DX Roc that's been in bag for 5 years and is still usable, the last D line Buzzz I had was worthless after the summer and looked like a lawn mower ran it over.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 107
Niced 477 Times in 214 Posts

Drivers, mids, and putters seem to have a lot of similar answers.... Innova, Discraft, and whatever you like. And I wouldn’t disagree.

For fairways, though, what about Millennium? JLS, OLF, OLS? JLSs are super workable. OLFs can go from straight to very beefy. OLSs are the under stable complement. And with their plastic lineup they have good options.

(Not to mention the Polaris and Tachyon options that I’ve never thrown. )

FYI. I’ve never thrown a Firebird. I threw a borrowed Thunderbird once when I didn’t have an OLF. I threw a DX Teebird about twice. So I’m just stirring the fairway pot since I have virtually no experience with discs in this class other than Millennium. I found what I liked and never looked elsewhere.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-06-2020, 07:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
That's the molds you want and throw, not the ones I want to throw.
Yeah, I figured. Just saying all the core molds, other than the Wasp, is run in ESP, every year.

Quote:
And I don't have to make any comparison, you don't have my fingers, how do you know what feels slick or not to me?
True, you don't have to humor me. But objectively, put a tribologist on that sh*t and I'd wager X is rated "grippier" than Pro.

Quote:
And why can't Discraft make a decent base plastic? I have a DX Roc that's been in bag for 5 years and is still usable, the last D line Buzzz I had was worthless after the summer and looked like a lawn mower ran it over.
They can make it. Why they only release CT (Discraft's Pro) in limited runs could be feedback from their pros? Idk...

Niced: (1)
Old 01-06-2020, 07:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,325 Times in 764 Posts

Quote:
Discraft uses PVC as their base as opposed to Innova using PE. PVC makes much more durable, and better feeling, premium plastics; not so much on baselines.

MVPs Electron Firm and Gateways Eraser both feel great and are more durable. That's the Baseline plastics I like.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:17 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 35
Niced 682 Times in 347 Posts

Innova makes the best teebird.