Old 03-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 155 Times in 83 Posts
Default That heavy disc feeling

If everything is working correctly you are supposed to feel the weight of the disc pulling on your fingertips during the throw. Very rarely do I actually experience that sensation. Is not being loose enough usually the cause of not feeling the disc? Or is it just a combination of improper technique?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2014, 08:51 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,112 Times in 746 Posts

you should feel a rip.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 62
Niced 101 Times in 70 Posts

Usually accelerating at the wrong time causes me to lose the feeling of the disc.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 120
Niced 98 Times in 60 Posts

I don't know If I really "feel" the whole weight of the disc, but in a good throw I definitely feel the disc accelerating through to the release.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,061 Times in 1,865 Posts

Think of your fingers more like springs. In the backswing the whole body is fairly loose until the transition back forward starts.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/f...fd97dafed67629
Old 03-09-2014, 04:08 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 93 Times in 46 Posts
Default grip

Make sure disc is oriented in the crease of your hand made when you touch thumb to pinky, and your thumb is forward of your fingers in the grip. Wrist tilted down so the disc is on the same plane as your forearm. You should be pressing with your rip finger against the inside rim, into your palm. Last, keep your grip looser , then clamp as you rip.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 20
Niced 43 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyfreetilinfinity View Post
Make sure disc is oriented in the crease of your hand made when you touch thumb to pinky, and your thumb is forward of your fingers in the grip. Wrist tilted down so the disc is on the same plane as your forearm. You should be pressing with your rip finger against the inside rim, into your palm. Last, keep your grip looser , then clamp as you rip.
Its funny, I have read that bit of advice so many times and it still reminds me to examine my grip and make sure I am not developing bad grip habits. So, I have added a step to my shot routine that has helped me reinforce good grip habits on every throw.

Background: I used to mess up release on almost anything but a teebird or leopard due to too tall or too wide of a rim. This led me to the habit of keeping my arm and hand too stiff the whole throw for fear of not tensing up correctly for the rip. I would do a practice walkup and then freeze my hand and wrist where it felt good. If I was throwing well I was maxing out around 300, but I was still messing up releases most of the time. I messed up and grip locked a lot, and when I was frustrated or tired it turned into a weak grip that, if I actually did get some snap on it would release too early (rip out with too little effort) and hyzer. This little pre-throw step has helped me overcome these problems:

I stand where I plan to release and, from the bent-arm position (non-throwing arm down as if I am throwing), I do bent-arm drill type motion to bounce the disc very lightly up around where I want my release point and then try to let go of the disc with everything but my thumb and index finger for a half second as it 'hovers' in the air on the release plane I want (fingers and hand only tight enough to keep the disc from ripping out).

I am basically double checking the feel of how my fingers are positioned on the rim and how it will translate to the release. Doing this, I have been able to focus much more on the timing of my throw rather than the grip.

If things don't feel right on the test snap, I break down my grip in my mind as if I am troubleshooting a machine. First, is my index finger positioned on the rim so it won't slip off or dig in? Is my thumb properly placed to counter the index finger based on the mold I am throwing (rim shape accounted for, rocs don't fly well with a destroyer grip)? Are my other fingers reinforcing my grip (proper throw) or if I remove them will it mess me up (this release would net me bad OAT)? Last, where is the disc in relation to my wrist? Am I set up to pull around the outside (proper throw) or am I coiling up, or pulling the front/top/bottom?

Staying in a patient state of mind and doing this every throw has gotten me to a point where I feel the snap on the regular and finally, the higher the speed of disc I throw the farther it goes. Used be every disc in the bag above a speed 5 would go 320 max, now I get my valks and orcs to almost 400 and teebirds easily to 350.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-10-2014, 12:14 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow u lost me on the its funny, I just hook it and fling, works good.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 20
Niced 43 Times in 28 Posts

Good for you.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 518 Times in 205 Posts

I thought you were talking about that heavy disc feeling!