Old 12-30-2014, 10:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 8 Posts
Default Leagues: Best Practices?

Just started a league in my area and am really looking forward to playing more competitive disc golf. However, I've just recently gotten "certified" as a PDGA TD and have never run a tournament before, despite playing in a few.

I've laid out the league rules and whatnot, but I have a feeling I'm in for a wild ride. Do any of you have any "best practices" you could share with a budding league manager? What do you know now that you wish you'd known when you started organizing? Is there anything I should be specifically concerned about? And finally, if Jimmy cracked corn and nobody cares, why is there a song about it?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2014, 10:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,697 Times in 1,588 Posts

There are so many different formats for leagues, and different disc golf communities, that it's hard to say. One place may have a bunch of advanced players; the next, rec players.

Expect attendance to vary wildly, especially at the beginning. You'll get players who only show up twice, players who show up every week, days when almost no one shows up, days when everyone show up.

Establishing rules and not letting players negotiate them will aid your sanity. Of course, there will be times when you're wrong and need to backtrack. But unless it's really obvious, I suggest staying any changes until the next season.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,889 Times in 816 Posts

I don't run a league, but do play in some. I want to thank those who do, I am sure the stress is more than I see. In my area, many leagues make use of Disc Golf Scene and have a league page. Lists the format, rules, schedule, standings and a comment section. I find this very useful.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 89
Niced 19 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
There are so many different formats for leagues, and different disc golf communities, that it's hard to say. One place may have a bunch of advanced players; the next, rec players.

Expect attendance to vary wildly, especially at the beginning. You'll get players who only show up twice, players who show up every week, days when almost no one shows up, days when everyone show up.
SE NC has all that. Since the league will encompass all the local courses, I imagine that attendance will vary considerably at the courses that aren't as convenient to the majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Establishing rules and not letting players negotiate them will aid your sanity. Of course, there will be times when you're wrong and need to backtrack. But unless it's really obvious, I suggest staying any changes until the next season.
I hear ya, David. I've played enough here to appreciate how starting an event on time affects the morale of the tournament and the players who signed up. Gonna do my best to ensure that those who are on time come back while making sure those who don't have functioning alarm clocks and don't get to play understand they're welcome as long as they respect the time of others in the future.

Baby steps. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:25 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 360
Niced 739 Times in 260 Posts

Tidbits of advice I can give you..

1. Be organized and punctual (because a lot of your players won't be).
2. Start small and simple with your ideas and let the demographics of your league guide you how to build things from there.
3. Don't expect creative suggestions for formats, etc. to be well received by everyone.
4. Keep your league finances in good order.
5. Expect to work hard to make your league successful, and despite your efforts understand that not all of your players will understand how hard you work to make your league successful.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 72
Niced 27 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
Tidbits of advice I can give you..

1. Be organized and punctual (because a lot of your players won't be).
2. Start small and simple with your ideas and let the demographics of your league guide you how to build things from there.
3. Don't expect creative suggestions for formats, etc. to be well received by everyone.
4. Keep your league finances in good order.
5. Expect to work hard to make your league successful, and despite your efforts understand that not all of your players will understand how hard you work to make your league successful.
All of this^

My suggestion would be to try and find 2-3 reliable people and delegate some things to them if they are willing to help some.
Helping with scorecards, bag tags, or anything really will help a lot and lower the stress of having people standing over you or around you asking questions all the time haha
Old 12-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 6
Niced 13 Times in 10 Posts

A few things that I have appreciated:

1. Pick a communication platform and stick to it. Whether its facebook, email or whatever, communicate consistently with any updates or changes. If you communicate in multiple spots, leave the exact same info

2. Even as numbers fluctuate, try to run the league regularly, avoiding last minute cancellation

3. Go out of you way to welcome noobs

4. Make a professional-looking flyer with days, times and costs (refer to #1 with this information)

5. Make it fun
Old 12-31-2014, 11:20 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 25
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Never heard of a pdga certified td program...

My .02 after running league for four years...

#1 you'll never make everyone happy, expect that.
#2 make your own decision(s) about the league and it's structure, and stick to it, don't flounder.
#3 if you pre purchase players packs, be very careful with your overall expenses, especially if this is your first time.
#4 find some way to keep yourself from being burnt out, usually this means getting one good person you can trust, it also means to pay strict attention to rule #1.

Running leagues can be a ton of fun, especially if you get people that buy into fun formats. Whatever you do, don't expose yourself or your club financially without testing waters first. Let your first year be a growing season.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:23 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 702
Niced 1,807 Times in 815 Posts

Pretty sure OP means PDGA Certified Official.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:50 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 25
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Pretty sure OP means PDGA Certified Official.
Figured, but just feeling a little persnickidy this morning