Old 06-06-2016, 01:39 AM

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Hi, disc golf newb from Oklahoma City

Hello y'all... I'm Tom, new to the sport and forum... be gentle...

Thoroughly confused by the different disc ratings that each manufacturer uses... isn't this sport big enough for them to consider a universal rating system??
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Each manufacturer uses their own methods of rating how their discs fly/perform. Each manufacturer has their own way of manufacturing their discs and it is important that they use different methods to set themselves apart from the other manufacturers. For now the PDGA does not require a universal rating system because each manufacturer needs that little bit of difference to set themselves apart from the rest of the field. I am sure the more seasoned members have even more info on why they do this but from one newb to another that's why I think there is no universal system.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 30
Niced 100 Times in 78 Posts

Welcome from TX!
Old 06-06-2016, 01:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.8
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Welcome from IL
Old 06-06-2016, 04:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 34
Niced 153 Times in 110 Posts

Welcome from NC!
Old 06-06-2016, 11:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 193
Niced 719 Times in 468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet62 View Post
Thoroughly confused by the different disc ratings that each manufacturer uses... isn't this sport big enough for them to consider a universal rating system??
Welcome from OK/FL. I'm currently in Florida and miss Dolese a ton! Fun course.

To be honest, I don't think disc ratings are that important, at least for newer players. Look around on the forums and you'll get a pretty good idea of beginner-friendly discs.

Now onto the soapbox: for me, it comes down to two numbers: speed and stability. I kinda feel like Innova ratings give too much info and make things too complicated, and I like the simplicity of Discraft ratings except that they leave out the speed info.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:11 AM

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
Welcome from OK/FL. I'm currently in Florida and miss Dolese a ton! Fun course.
Haven't played it yet... but going to soon...

Quote:
To be honest, I don't think disc ratings are that important, at least for newer players. Look around on the forums and you'll get a pretty good idea of beginner-friendly discs.
I have been... as well as getting help from the friend who talked me into this... Though admittedly, I'm better with clubs and a ball...

Quote:
Now onto the soapbox: for me, it comes down to two numbers: speed and stability. I kinda feel like Innova ratings give too much info and make things too complicated, and I like the simplicity of Discraft ratings except that they leave out the speed info.
I have disks from Innova, Latitude 64 and Lightning so far... and do ok with them, except for aiming... i.e. the disk doesn't seem to take the line I intend it to... but flight is good...
Old 06-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 37
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Welcome from OKC!

Being in Warr Acres and haven't played Dolese yet, I assume you are playing at Will Rogers? If that is the case, when you are at Will, look for the bald guy with the goatee that has been doing a lot of the course work out there. That would be me. My place of work is on the south side of hole 12 and I'm either working or playing on the course most days. Either find me or the course steward, Tim (drives a blue truck with a ladder rack on the passenger side and Bandit (his brat of a dog that likes to talk a lot),) and introduce yourself. Both he and I are more than willing to help you out with any questions that you may have. If we aren't playing or working on a specific hole, you can normally find us in the parking lot between holes 10 and 11's tee pads.

Hope to see you soon and continue to enjoy this game that most of us in these forums have become overly addicted to.

-Dave
Old 06-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 80
Niced 67 Times in 32 Posts

Welcome from Upper Michigan!

Old 06-07-2016, 06:00 PM

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Welcome from OKC!

Being in Warr Acres and haven't played Dolese yet, I assume you are playing at Will Rogers? If that is the case, when you are at Will, look for the bald guy with the goatee that has been doing a lot of the course work out there. That would be me. My place of work is on the south side of hole 12 and I'm either working or playing on the course most days. Either find me or the course steward, Tim (drives a blue truck with a ladder rack on the passenger side and Bandit (his brat of a dog that likes to talk a lot),) and introduce yourself. Both he and I are more than willing to help you out with any questions that you may have. If we aren't playing or working on a specific hole, you can normally find us in the parking lot between holes 10 and 11's tee pads.

Hope to see you soon and continue to enjoy this game that most of us in these forums have become overly addicted to.

-Dave
I was told to avoid Dolese until I got better at throwing and aiming... "you will lose discs..." and at $10 -$20/disc, I can't afford it... not to mention, I have literally stay away from D-Mart... LOL... I can't go in there and not come out with something I didn't need to get... yet... (looks at the C-Wraith and xXx discs...) ha HAH!!! But I have been down to Wild Horse in Mustang and played there and Will Rogers is my mainstay for now... I like the openness there for now...