Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 06-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 96 Times in 63 Posts
Default My First Roadrunner: Open to thoughts and opinions!

Hi Everyone!

I picked up my first Roadrunner just recently and have yet to bring it to field practice.

If anyone loves or hates the Roadrunner, uses it only for rollers, as a paperweight or a dog bowl, or if its someones go-to disc! I'd love to hear your thoughts because i have yet to learn this particular disc. I thought itd be fun to get peoples idea of this one before i throw it.

I'm in love with my Valk lately and since a Roadrunner is the same speed with a bit more glide, slightly less fade and dropping down from -2 to -4 in turn, i figure its a reasonable reference point.

So, any of your feedback, ideas, love it/hate it, suggestions or observations about the Roadrunner as a whole, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2016, 12:10 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,466 Times in 754 Posts

What kind of plastic is it? Roadrunners are great drivers. Depending on how far you throw, it may/may not turn like its ratings suggest.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:23 PM
Par Member

Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

I have no experience with them, but one of the players in my weekly league loves his ecostar roadrunner. He gets some pretty incredible hyzerflips and long turnover shots out of that thing.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 132 Times in 93 Posts

I love my Star Roadrunner. It consistently my longest driver for my current needs work form/noodle arm.

I get some turn out of it but not the full -4.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 34
Niced 152 Times in 109 Posts

Champion Roadrunner was my first driver. I have since disced down to 7 speed (I'm still new to the sport and I love my River more than any other disc). I threw some good throws with it. I also threw a Valk quite a bit early on and definitely got more distance out of the Roadrunner and obviously, less fade. I did occasionally turn one over and get a roller but I'm sure that was me and not the disc. It did not work for me as a forehand disc, as it is to US to hide my form flaws, probably. If you are looking to try Lat 64 plastic in the same speed, you could try the Saint in Opto (equiv. to Champ), which I throw instead of the River if there is wind. It has different flight numbers than the RR obviously, but at 9, 7, -1, 2, it might be a glide and flight path you like.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 96 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
What kind of plastic is it? Roadrunners are great drivers. Depending on how far you throw, it may/may not turn like its ratings suggest.
I should have put that in the first post i suppose.

This particular disc is Starlite Roadrunner 139g. Yes thats low. A little about myself: im a smaller guy and only drive RHFH with lighter discs because thats where all my distance is right now. I do throw heavier discs but for backhand shots (fairway/mids/putts). If the enviroment suggests, i will FH a heavy and/or OS disc for control, but my linear distance is in my lighter ones. Im about 10 ft away from breaking 300' with pretty much all my distance drivers (heavy or light). I have to be very careful of wind and oat with the light ones, but my scores are worth the adjustments. Anyway, all that might help any further inquiries in that area.

As for the Roadrunner, i picked it up out of curiosity and i can never find light discs where i am, so if i see them i get them. Also, ive been looking for a decent roller disc and was hoping this might be a good stability rating for that, if not just for shot shhaping or distance.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2016, 01:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 603 Times in 443 Posts

I am a Adv/open (on the cusp) player and I LOVE the Roadrunner. I have 2, both 175g, one Star with dome other Glow flat. The domier one is more stable, but they are understable. For feel....the RR is great, best feel of the speed 9 discs to me, its smooth and comfortable and seems to resist damage! idk...haha. But yes it will turn more than a valk and fades a little later, but its a great overall disc. I can get almost as much distance out of it when compared to my max d discs. Its great, good for everything, but mainly I use it for hyzerflips and turnovers and my go to get out of throuble tomahawk shot, the RR flips and goes down, so its a great tommy disc.

Youll love it I'm sure. RR rules!

PS: If the starlight is too flippy to control, try one around 168-172
Old 06-15-2016, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 603 Times in 443 Posts

PPS: Roadrunner is a disc that is ALWAYS in my bag...Always...so that says a lot about a particular disc. I switch out a lot of things depending on weather, course, etc. Roadrunner is always with me because i rely on it being high speed understable and useful for up and over shots over the trees.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:42 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 97
Niced 10 Times in 3 Posts

I carry a heavy Champ RR in my bag just for rollers. Don't really use it for much else, aside from an occasional "get of out jail" flick.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:46 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,466 Times in 754 Posts

Stop claiming that your size is limiting you. You've done that everywhere. Paul McBeth is your size and throws 500'+ golf lines. It's your technique. You're still new to the game. Don't beat yourself up because you are throwing how you expect. Just keep practicing, and you'll be crushing it in no time.