Old 10-13-2017, 06:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts
Default Rim Width?

Does rim width usually increase with the length a disc is supposed to fly?

My Tern (which I seldom throw) has a very wide rim width and my Teebird has a somewhat wide rim width. Both of these disc seem very comfortable in my somewhat large hands while some of my mids (Comet, Roc) and my putters (Pure, P2) have very small rim widths which makes my fingers (especially my middle finger) feel cramped and awkward.

Just wondering if the width of the rim typically goes hand in hand with how far the disc is supposed to fly or if you can find wide rim disc in all types (mids, fairways, putters) of disc.

Thanks for any clarification!

TripleB
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2017, 07:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 164
Niced 1,183 Times in 583 Posts

yes.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:47 PM

Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Rim width = disc speed rating
The higher the speed rating the wider the rim the more aerodynamic the faster the air speed needed to achieve optimal flight characteristics.
Higher speed discs have more potential distance but won't necessarily go any further than your putter.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Niced: (3)
Old 10-13-2017, 08:05 PM
Eagle Member

Thanks for the input!!!

The distance disc seem so much more comfy for my larger hands...was hoping to find some mids that fit my hand a little better.

Guess I'll adjust my grip some...or look for taller rim depth discs that may allow my middle finger a bit more room.

Again, I appreciate your responses!

TripleB
Old 10-13-2017, 08:10 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,294 Times in 1,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Does rim width usually increase with the length a disc is supposed to fly?

My Tern (which I seldom throw) has a very wide rim width and my Teebird has a somewhat wide rim width. Both of these disc seem very comfortable in my somewhat large hands while some of my mids (Comet, Roc) and my putters (Pure, P2) have very small rim widths which makes my fingers (especially my middle finger) feel cramped and awkward.

Just wondering if the width of the rim typically goes hand in hand with how far the disc is supposed to fly or if you can find wide rim disc in all types (mids, fairways, putters) of disc.

Thanks for any clarification!

TripleB
The "speed" of the disc is directly derived from the rim width, though it's not standardized over all companies.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-13-2017, 08:19 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,294 Times in 1,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Thanks for the input!!!

The distance disc seem so much more comfy for my larger hands...was hoping to find some mids that fit my hand a little better.

Guess I'll adjust my grip some...or look for taller rim depth discs that may allow my middle finger a bit more room.

Again, I appreciate your responses!

TripleB
The feel of a disc is definitely a factor, in your confidence if not the actual performance.

My hands are not small (I'm sure someone will make a snarky comment, but moving on...) but I tend to prefer more shallow discs, from shallow approach putters to shallow-rimmed drivers like the Tern. Obviously others differ.

There are some mids that feel a little wide, or thick in the rim. If you can find an Innova Bulldog (try the Proshop), its rim feels bulky to me, so you might like it. Also, there was another disc, maybe the Lycan or Coyote, that felt possibly more right for bigger hands. When it comes to deeper rims, maybe one of the lid discs.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:29 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

I felt the same way shortly after i started playing. I'd recommend making sure your fingers wrap around the rim at an angle instead of coming a straight into the rim perpendicularly. It'll allow you to spread ur fingers out a little more over a wider section of the rim plus it gets disc more nose down. If that fails, try droping ur pinky outside the rim. I used to do this with all power grips but now only use it occasionally with certain shaped putters that make my fingers feel cramped.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old 10-13-2017, 08:45 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
There are some mids that feel a little wide, or thick in the rim. If you can find an Innova Bulldog (try the Proshop), its rim feels bulky to me, so you might like it. Also, there was another disc, maybe the Lycan or Coyote, that felt possibly more right for bigger hands. When it comes to deeper rims, maybe one of the lid discs.
Thanks for the advice on possible disc to look at!

I put some dimensions in an online retailer looking for higher rim width until I got more than three disc to choose from and the one that seemed to stand out was the Foxbat (never heard of it but 5 stars with 11 reviews on the site)...rim depth 1.4, rim width 1.4, height 2.2, diameter 21.7 (Bulldog was 1.6 depth, 1.3 width, 2.0 height, 21.1 diameter).

Again, thanks to all for your input!

TripleB
Old 10-13-2017, 08:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 83
Niced 320 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post

If you are interested in trying mids that very few people actually throw, try these.

Otherwise, as I have mentioned to you before, you should be looking at an ESP Buzzz. A Truth is also another candidate. The added bonus is that people actually throw these. You would not be the first person who has ever said that Roc and Comet rims feel awkward. Doesn't mean they are not great discs (maybe the best) but those who throw them are used to the way they feel and so it becomes "normal" over time.

ESP Buzzz or Lucid Truth (not the Emac Truth). This is what you are looking for.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:31 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by august dupree View Post

ESP Buzzz or Lucid Truth (not the Emac Truth). This is what you are looking for.
I appreciate the input!

Is the feel in hand of the Buzzz different from the feel of the Buzzz SS? I have an SS and pulled it from my bag because every time I threw it it came out early (no other disc I have does it). Not sure if it's the rim or the plastic that doesn't work for me.

Thanks again.

TripleB