Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 10-27-2017, 03:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Niced 229 Times in 149 Posts
Default Pure plastic (possible switch from D-Line P2)

Hoi,

I've started to disc golf last winter with a D-Line P2 as my putter (because Simon putts with it and he's good and I thought, if I don't know what to do then imitate the pros and see how that goes ...). Well, I've putted all year with the P2s. I do like the plastic very much. Putting was okay as well, but I had nothing to compare it to.

The thing is, during the last months I realized that the P2s are too deep for me to drive with them. It's all wobble and horrible. I used my Comet for all upshots, thus it was no big thing. Now I gave an Opto Pure a go, and can drive with it really well. (That's why I think it's the depth.)

I like to carry few discs, but now I carry two P2s and a Pure, which somehow hurts my feelings. ;-) Anyway, I thought I could just switch to putting with the Pure. Thus I ordered a Zero Hard Pure and used P2s and Pures in my putting practice: There wasn't much of a difference. Consequently, I'd like to switch to Pures and see how that develops. The Opto Pure is great to drive with but it's the wrong plastic for putting. The Zero Hard, unfortunately, is too stiff and too slicky for my taste. (I usually order on Web shops.) Now I wonder if Zero Medium or Zero Soft would be more what I search or if those won't suite me neither.

Z FLX type of plastic is too gummy. I prefer stiffer plastic, or let's say, pretty average stiffness, like the D-Line, DX or Star I have. I do like the kinda waxy feel of the D-Line. What do I have to expect from Zero Medium and Zero Soft, or Retro?

Btw:

I read that P1s or Aviars are more shallow too. I don't want to try so many discs, and I'd appreciate if my bag is distributed over several brands, but if the L64 plastics wouldn't fit my taste, I might go for those molds. (Please don't suggest further molds; it is unlikely that I'll try them.)

Maybe useful to know: I bag a Comet and a Zone as midranges. I can putt with the Zone on windy days.

And concerning my putting technique, if that matters: I can't really say much, as I'm in an experimentation state currently. Often it's push with low spin, which I want to avoid. Sometimes I straddle, sometimes not. I've tried pure spin but fear long comebackers on misses. It's all in flux, currently.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Meillo; 10-27-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 131
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 792 Times in 352 Posts

Personally, as a player who putts and upshots with Pures, I think the Zero Medium is my favorite plastic. Just grippy enough and not at all a floppy mess like Soft / Mega Soft. I tend to use the Mediums most of the year but do mix in some Zero Hard in the really hot months. Also do carry an older Opto Pure in my glow bag for driving duties, but never putt with it myself. Just wish I would have snagged a few more of those "blueberry" Medium Pures a while back, great feel and smell.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-27-2017, 04:06 PM

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 30
Niced 31 Times in 14 Posts

I have a couple Zero Soft Pures, and they are much softer/more floppy than DX plastic.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:28 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,456 Times in 747 Posts

My only experience with Zero Medium is with the Dagger, but I felt it was considerably softer than Zero Hard. It should be much closer to the D-Line P2 in terms of plastic feel.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-27-2017, 04:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,258 Times in 548 Posts

You're not going to like Zero Soft if you want average to above average stiffness. Zero Medium is probably acceptable if you're a fan of D-line/DX.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:46 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 234
Niced 15 Times in 6 Posts

I love opto pures for driving but the zero line med ones are excellent putters.

Last edited by JR Stengele; 10-27-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 603 Times in 443 Posts

Yeah Trilogy Plastic goes Hard=pretty firm, Medium=a good amount of softness, Soft=Hot butter

In this weather I'm using Medium and its nice in temps below 55. Anything above 65 and I need to go Hard or the mediums are just too gummy for my tastes. I don't really like Soft anything and I have a soft harp which is fine for cold winters but, putting, go medium in winter, hard summer. that's my suggestion

Also, if you like the pure and want a similar (but in my opinion a better disc) MVP Atom in Proton (premium/stable) and Electron (baseline, velvety) The Atom is a lot like the pure but all around better - but that's my opinion

Old 10-27-2017, 06:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Niced 229 Times in 149 Posts

Thanks for the descriptions of the Zero plastics. That helps a lot!

How is Retro in relation to them?

And is any of the Latitude plastics waxy like Discmania's D-Line?
Old 10-27-2017, 06:40 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,456 Times in 747 Posts

TM2/EZE was a waxy blend. It felt really great once the new wore off of it.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:49 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 309 Times in 176 Posts

I really like the Retro/Prime plastic for putters. In my opinion, it's similar the DX in firmness but grippier. I personally like the Zero Hard just about as well, and the Medium not quite as well. If you wanted to try the Retro, they're only like $8...