Old 08-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 51
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default The downside to ams playing random draw doubles

I love playing doubles. It gives me a chance to work as a team. Sometimes as an intermediate player I feel as though I am making my more experienced randomly draw partner angry because they got shafted with an am and not the another touring pro. This leads to making my game go further in to the toilet because I try too hard.

Usually the doubles rounds I have played are complete random draw. There is no separate am/pro pools. This leads to your super group of two 1000 rated players and then to your 1000 rated played who gets an 850 rated player as a partner. The 1000 rated player then gets resentful they got the shaft and proceeds to act like a jerk every time the 850 rated player doesn't hit that 20 foot putt or throw a perfect drive. So I would rather get paired with another person who has a modest rating and will serve as an encouraging partner than the 1000 rated player. While they might give me a better chance at winning, I care less about taking home $20 then having fun.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Anything you do to combat the jerk partner in doubles from ruining the round?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

When you miss the 20 footer, yell at your partner for not parking it closer.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 28
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

When he/she acts like a jerk play even worse on purpose.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 26
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

^^^ with pink, ummm yeah, it seems like one player goes safe and the other goes for it is the standard in that situation (the upshot)... if they're rated that high they should be able to keep up any way and you should be able to learn and get lucky from time to time... sounds like you got paired with a feminine hygiene product...
Old 08-09-2010, 12:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 156
Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic

I tend to feel the same way...usually its due to the pressure I put on myself. Problem is where I play its a bunch of pros and then me. I am the anchor that weighs the good players down and Ive ruined quite a few days fo players here. Usually players try to be supportive but I tend to play better alone and I even start taking less chances sometimes out of fear of completely screwing up. It's mostly mental and the eyerolls and angry glares are probably manifestations of my perception ...but I agree it sucks. I just remember that they are more than happy to take my money other days when they play against me so in the end F em!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 386
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 23 Times in 10 Posts

That's unfortunate that you have multiple 1000-rated guys that are jerks. Doubles is supposed to be fun.....and most understand that. IMO, the organizer needs to switch things up and sign up players as A or B players then match up from the 2 groups to help eliminate this.

To add to what you say, I have seen jerks who cop an attitude about who they draw that are medium skilled players and lower skilled players......and proceed to make the round less than fun for the entire card. I do not think it is isolated to 1000-rated players.

I guess the silver lining for you might be to work on the mental issues this scenario inflicts on you. Although it is no fun being in the scenario you describe, you might as well make lemonade out of the lemons served you and try to overcome the mental distraction part (which is a huge part of improving as a player).
Old 08-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 46
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

People who take random dubs seriously don't understand the point of random dubs.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.8
Courses Played: 361
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 116 Times in 59 Posts

Two A players should not be able to pair up as a team, use the A and B pool system to even things out.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 46
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

I play dubs on monday that are true random dubs and thursday that pair pro/adv with ams and I can see the pros/cons of both. The biggest pro to true random dubs is that it is easier to run and set up.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 264
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 172 Times in 90 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff

One of the clubs around here do the A and B pools. I definitely think that is the better way to go, makes everyone feel more comfortable knowing the teams are more balanced. The club and dubs that are closest to me I don't even bother with because I don't feel like ruining other people's rounds. Also its all guys, which makes it even worse for me as we have a couple 1000+ rated players here as well.