Old 03-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default SCann's Bag 2012

I have been playing for almost 3 years about 3-5 times a week. I'm basically looking to see if there are any major "holes" in my bag or overlap and hoping to get some suggestions.

Drivers:
Leopard- I just added a couple of leopards, but rarely use them. I believe there is some overlap here between the Leopard and River...
Beast- Anyhzer shots 275-300' BH and FH.
River- I use the River for BH and FH straight drives with little fade.
TeeBird-Straight with fade. This is the driver I pull out more often than not for BH drives. Distance with the Teebird is 275-290'
Surge- Distace driver. I use this both FH and BH for max D. I get about 300' on a flat to Slight Hyzer line throw, but get around 325' with a FH Flex
XCal- Overstable utility disc. I use this both FH and BH for shots that have to go left or right (depending on FH or BH)

Midranges:
Vector- BH Overstable Midrange
Hornet-FH Overstable midrange
Buzzz SS-Stable to Understable Midrange thrown FH and BH

Putters:
Ion- Main putter and driving putter. I just switched from Wizards to Ions.
Wizard-Due to similarities in flight between my Wizard and Ions, I kept a Wizard in the bag because of the grippy SSS plastic in wet conditions and for steep hills where rolls are likely.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 744 Times in 423 Posts

The Vector/Hornet thing caught my eye, otherwise looks pretty good. If you feel that comfortable with the two then that's fine, but I personally would suggest picking one or the other. Many would suggest having a 3 disc mid line up but if you can get it done then you do you
Old 03-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripenemys2k View Post
The Vector/Hornet thing caught my eye, otherwise looks pretty good. If you feel that comfortable with the two then that's fine, but I personally would suggest picking one or the other. Many would suggest having a 3 disc mid line up but if you can get it done then you do you
Yeah, that was one of my concerns, although the Hornet is primarily FH while the Vector is primarily BH. I don't throw Vectors FH, but sometimes throw Hornets BH... Thanks for the feedback.

Anyone else have any advice?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:46 AM
*Legalize It*

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 51
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

yeah i have been having the river/leo battle too .. i loved the distance i got from the rivers but for now the Leos have won out.. just have better control with them..i was having a few release issues with the rivers but my gl seemed to be more understable then my leos
Old 03-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 87
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

Drop the leo. Your River will cover everything the leo can do.

You're not getting much more distance with the Surge than you are with the Teebird. So you might consider dropping it altogether.

I'd swap out the XCal for a Firebird. With the distances you throw, the Firebird will fit you better and likely give you more control.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Ian,

Did you notice a difference between distance in your Leopards and Rivers? I seem to be getting more distance from my rivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
Drop the leo. Your River will cover everything the leo can do.
This is what I was thinking, as well.

Quote:
You're not getting much more distance with the Surge than you are with the Teebird. So you might consider dropping it altogether.
Yeah, the Teebird is definitely my go-to and my eventual goal is to get it out to about 300' on a consistent basis. Hopefully that will mean a cleaner throw and will result in more distance out of the Surge. I definitely thought about taking the Surge out, but I just can't get the same kind of flex shot from the Teebird.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 107
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drop it and throw nothing but IONS! lol
Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 AM
*Legalize It*

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 51
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Cann View Post
Ian,

Did you notice a difference between distance in your Leopards and Rivers? I seem to be getting more distance from my rivers.

This is what I was thinking, as well.

Yeah, the Teebird is definitely my go-to and my eventual goal is to get it out to about 300' on a consistent basis. Hopefully that will mean a cleaner throw and will result in more distance out of the Surge. I definitely thought about taking the Surge out, but I just can't get the same kind of flex shot from the Teebird.
yeah i was getting much more distance with them but when i was trying to decide between the two i went with control over distance.. I still have my rivers and not planning to get rid of them but with my sidewinder in the bag it covers any distance loss from river.. again i do really like the river but i was having release issues with them that i dont have with the leos.. dunno if its the rim or the gl plasitc..which does feel slick to me.. but either way you decide you can drop one or the other. Have you thrown the ESP Surge? I love them.. they glide forever and seem much less stable then the elite-z... if thats what you use now
Old 03-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

on the leo/river debate... i agree with ian that the river is a touch harder to control than the leo, but also has much more distance/glide. if you are able to place your river in the general area you want, drop the leopards. if you are having trouble with the river, or it isn't quite doing it for you, try the leopard for a bit.

try throwing both on each hole you would use them on (when the course isn't busy, obviously) and see which works more consistently for you.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 40
Niced 182 Times in 111 Posts

My only concerns, and I don't know your situation, would be that if you've been playing consistently for almost three years; that you are only throwing your Max D drivers out to 300' on average.

Drivers:
-I'm a Leopard guy, so I prefer them to a river. I've tried both, but I think a Pro or Champ Leopard in combination with a DX Leopard is more versatile than a River. I would drop the Beast; a Leopard (or river if you want to stick with it would be better for anhyzers anyway).
-The Teebird/Leopard combo works well for me. I have a Champ and a DX Teebird. Those with the DX Pro Leopard covers most shots I need to throw.
-If you're not throwing the Surge or the XCal much farther than a Teebird then I wouldn't use them. Unless you feel more comfortable throwing them FH than your Teebirds or Leos.

Midranges:
There seems to be something missing here. I would pick either the Vector or Hornet as an overstable mid. I would also Pick up a true stable mid. If you like your Buzzz ss, then I would go with a regular Buzzz for that spot (I prefer the Rocs but you can't go wrong with a buzzz as your stable mid).

My mid set up is three rocs (star- slightly overstable, KC Pro- stable/flex shots, and DX- understable) and a Drone for overstable or headwind shots). That's just what works for me.

Putters:
The putters look good to me. Some people suggest otherwise, but, I also like to have a super soft putter that can stick to the ground and won't roll away on testy putts haha.

The only thing I'll say which has helped me out: if the Ion is your main putter, I would suggest having two of them the same weight and color. Use one only for putting, and the other for drives/upshots/putting practice.

Just my opinion. Hope that helps a little.