Old 03-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default In between rounds...?

So i played my first monthy the other sat and played intermediate and tied for 4th on a full field ~25 people. I did decent but not great on the front 18 to put me on the leader card and tanked on the back 18. (Thank god so did most others)

What im getting to is what do you guys do to stay in the "mode" or "zone" or even to kick into that other gear for the next round? I usually play 4 rounds a day but just the focus required during one round of tourney play took a toll on me.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

if i played well i don't do anything. i hang out, talk disc, eat some food. if i did poorly i will focus on why i am there, to have fun. i may think about the holes i did poorly on a consider a similar hole i have played before and how easy the birdie line really is.

i do not go throw discs. if i want to improve on a crappy round, continuing to play poorly up until the next round will just frustrate me, and im not going to try and fix what isn't broken if i played well.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 35
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just hang out. Don't think about it too much. You'll put unnecessary pressure on yourself. Give yourself a little time to warm back up before the second round. Then just have fun.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 27
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a catch disc, whamo super 165, it helps me keep "limber?", its hella fun to throw and catch, and it helps with making new friends. Eat something, just nothing greasy. Remember disc golf is for FUN!!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 47
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thugjitsu View Post
I usually play 4 rounds a day but just the focus required during one round of tourney play took a toll on me.
Maybe you should work on having better focus during your daily rounds so that your mental fatigue will not be so noticeable. Just an idea
Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 37
Niced 227 Times in 136 Posts

For me it's got a lot to do with my mood and how I'm playing that day. If the first round was ultra crappy, rather than sit around and have somebody ask how I did, I'll go to the car and just zone out to some music and try to treat the second round like I'm just getting there for the day. If I did good or at least had fun, then I'll sit around and socialize.
It may sound like a whiney thing to do..running away and sulking, but the music takes my head off everything and with headphones someone always comes up to me, hence the going to the car.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 47
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I tend to think too much about my game so I stay as occupied as possible with non-dg related activities during the break. Last saturday at a monthly I dropped my card off, ate lunch, and listened to half of a james brown album while surfing the internet on my phone. When the break finished i went to my respective hole and shot a devastatingly hot round. Ended up winning intermediate, tieing first in advanced, and tieing for last place cash.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:18 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 101
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I ask the TD if I can help check scorecards, move baskets, or do anything else that needs to be done.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholy08 View Post
Maybe you should work on having better focus during your daily rounds so that your mental fatigue will not be so noticeable. Just an idea
I try I try, it's easier when i play with my dad cause we're so damn competative. With anyone else its so nonchalant. But im definetly going to start focusing more during normal rounds i neeeeeed to sink those easy birdie putts.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Do you guys find it a necessity to eat in between rounds? i think i might've been worn down because of the lack of food but i wasnt hungry at all. I should probably get some light snacking in between round to (theoretically) keep my focus up to par (pun not intended).