Jedes mal.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2018, 07:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 150 Times in 97 Posts

1. Repetition and muscle memory are real things. Regardless of whether you are doing it right or wrong.

2. Try and only improve 1 thing per season, be OK with slower successful growth.

3. I will never be a Pro, and I am very happy with that.

4. Stay competitive. Just because I will not be a Pro, doesn't mean I have to quit trying to be competitive.

5. Make sure you are never the reason the card has a bad round. TO ALL UP-AND-COMERS, learn this. My motto is, never be the guy no one wants to play with again.

6. Drivers are the most fun, putting is super important, but shots <100' are by far the most critical to my success or failure.

7. Don't always play with your friends, don't always play just for competition. There needs to be a balance.

8. Fieldwork is real.

9. Have your bag prepped, ALWAYS.

10. Water is more important on long, hot tournaments than extra discs. You may lose a stroke bc you didn't have the right disc, but you won't lose your game.

11. Be coachable, but don't listen to *******s.

12. If you are playing and there are kids around, act like a mature adult/parent, not a dumb frisbee boy.

13. Smile at people, compliment their game (regardless of how good or bad it is), and invite them to play sometime.

14. Take your wife out and STFU!

15. Always watch for poison ivy.

16. You don't have to pick up trash, but don't litter.

17. Playing for money is always better than not, even if you lose.

18. Know the rules, but only bring them out if there are grievous errors or questions.

19. Smooth>Fast and powerful

20. Talk about things other than disc.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 342
Niced 302 Times in 128 Posts

1. My time is limited. I can spend my disc golf time practicing putting. Or I can play and be a poor putter. I choose to play.

2. I play for my enjoyment and my enjoyment only. Wouldn't you know? It's more fun that way.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.8
Courses Played: 90
Niced 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post
Don't ever throw more than 80 percent. ever. Follow thru will help reduce injuries. Use your big muscles hip, legs and triceps. That will help some with keeping stress off your shoulder.

And most importantly I have learned that I need to listen to my own advice and the veterans around me more.

As someone that is over 50 and has played a long time this is great advice. Good form doesn't hurt your body. I'd add remember to choose the disc that makes the shot you are attempting easy to do. People choose the wrong disc all the time and work way too hard.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-01-2018, 07:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 55
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

As the arthritis gets worse, so do the drives.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-03-2018, 01:36 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 16
Niced 99 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
As I age and decline, it's harder to cover for bad form with athleticism.

And, at the same time, harder to work out the bad form.

Take what you said here, add some old sports injuries that you start to feel again, throw in a triple bypass along with a torn up left leg used to get a vein out for the grafts, turning 60 in a few months and it's a wonder I can actually throw 270' to 280' max on a good day! I disc with guys mostly 30 years younger than myself who have been playing for far more years than me and I am able to say that at least I can compete with them thru the front 9 anyway. Recently bought myself a MVP Black Hole Pro basket so I can work at least on my putting and I figure that ought to take a few strokes off my total this year. I wish this game had been around my area back when I was in my 20's!!

Old 02-03-2018, 07:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,820 Times in 1,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz58 View Post
Take what you said here, add some old sports injuries that you start to feel again, throw in a triple bypass along with a torn up left leg used to get a vein out for the grafts, turning 60 in a few months and it's a wonder I can actually throw 270' to 280' max on a good day! I disc with guys mostly 30 years younger than myself who have been playing for far more years than me and I am able to say that at least I can compete with them thru the front 9 anyway. Recently bought myself a MVP Black Hole Pro basket so I can work at least on my putting and I figure that ought to take a few strokes off my total this year. I wish this game had been around my area back when I was in my 20's!!
Most of that for me. Except the bypass.

And that I've been playing a long time---I started in the mid-90s---but still missed the chance to start as a kid. Over the past half-dozen years my distance has declined; I lost of chunk of it when I returned from my latest health issues, and don't seem to be recovering it.

But what I meant is that I know my form is flawed. I feel it. People point it out to me. The discs' flights confirm it. I have about 13 flaws in my motion, and can only corral about 8 of them at any one time. Though my distance was never great, when younger I was able to reach a good many holes that I can't now, so bad form didn't matter as much; my form was good enough. Now the combination of age and injuries and bad form have shortened my distance; I can't do much about the first two, so I need to fix the form to make up for them. And at this point, it ain't easy.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:03 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 170
Niced 233 Times in 111 Posts

Have played 12 years and the game is as confusing today as the day I threw my first disc.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 131
Niced 184 Times in 96 Posts

The most important thing that I've learned... Even if you're having a bad round, you're out playing disc golf and it's fun. Letting a bad round get you down misses the point of playing in the first place.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:34 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 109 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegor View Post
The most important thing that I've learned... Even if you're having a bad round, you're out playing disc golf and it's fun. Letting a bad round get you down misses the point of playing in the first place.
It was quite the epiphany when I came to this realization. I used to get all torn up about missed putts, shanks, and the like. One day it occurred to me that if I get so upset by an activity that is 100% voluntary, what possible chance do I have to deal with any real life adversity?

I have since flipped my behavior totally. I enjoy good shots and bad shots and just simply partaking in the activity. This approach has extended to other areas of my life as well. After all, it's over before we know it and I'd rather enjoy my time here.

Last edited by Jowie; 02-03-2018 at 11:35 AM. Reason: grammar