Old 08-27-2018, 09:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2,054 Times in 487 Posts

What a great event to watch. Drama right to the end. Thanks to everyone who watched live. We had 5300 concurrent watchers towards the end of the show. That is the biggest number in a while. And while concurrent viewers only tells part of the story, it is one of the bars that is easiest to look at and compare.

Either way, thanks for watching. Looking forward to Worlds in 2 weeks.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2018, 12:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 864 Times in 456 Posts

Great battle. I rarely watch full rounds live since it gets pretty late in Finland for that and the 3-year-old can sometimes wake us up pretty early, but this one I watched all the way until 1:30AM. Worth every sleep deprived minute. Likely Worlds will be worth it too at least if no one has completely run away with it the round prior to the last one.

Another thing: whats everyones take on the GoPros mounted on the baskets? Terry mentioned this in passing and said that likely they have the OK from tournament officials, BUT if they (it?) are there only for the lead card(s) then they likely ought not to be there. Its not really the same course for everybody then if one group can blast by the basket flag and go 100ft deep and another group can get the same shot deflected to drop in range by the addition of the camera.

I know other stuff can happen where its not 100% same course, a branch can come down or whatever, but I would rather not have people willingly introduce variables. Want a camera at the pin? Man it, so the man can get out of the way if need be.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-27-2018, 01:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 1,604 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
I followed Ricky's card for round 3 at Ledgestone. He did tend to keep to himself, which I can't blame home for. After the round I said thanks for letting us watch as I passed him. He told me thanks for coming out to watch with a smile, even though it was obvious he wasn't happy about his round. I then watched him pose for a couple pictures with two guys in front of his van as he was leaving. Seemed pretty gracious to me...
Ricky is 100% business on the course. Hardly says a word other than his score. Off the course/done with his round he's the nicest dude ever.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-27-2018, 01:30 PM
Par Member

Niced 54 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
Ricky is 100% business on the course. Hardly says a word other than his score. Off the course/done with his round he's the nicest dude ever.
Seems like it. What's your take on the go pro thing Ian? Who even put em up?
Old 08-27-2018, 01:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
Maybe it depends on the level of event, or whether we're talking card-mate versus spectator, but I played with Rick a couple weeks ago at an A-tier and he was extremely personable and pleasant. Other than the handful of spectators following us, it felt like a normal round with a normal group of players to me. Some idle chit-chat, especially during back-ups, and times of quiet concentration as well.

Only two things really stuck out to me during the round. One, if you're the last thrower on the tee, you really need to be aware of where Ricky parked his cart because he is on the move before that last throw lands and if you aren't careful about where you linger to watch the throw, he might run you over. Two, his standards are, rightly so, very high for himself. As we totaled the card at the end of the round, he described his round as "sucky" when asked. "Sucky" was tied for hot round on the card (unofficially 1037) and good enough for the lead card in round 2. He wasn't surly or upset about it. Just stated it as a matter of fact. It was amusing.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:52 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 125
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

What an exciting third round, when does round 4 start? Oh.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2,054 Times in 487 Posts

I see Terry's argument about the GoPro (actually it was a 360 degree cam). And they did have authorization from Steve Dodge. So my issue is NOT with the person who was putting up the camera. Terry was right that it was a slightly different green for the lead card then. I have no issues with it, if it was discussed with the players ahead of time at the players meeting or something like that.

We already give special circumstances to the lead card with the extra buffer in tee times to help avoid backups for the broadcast. So, this isn't unprecedented.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 83
Niced 159 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I see Terry's argument about the GoPro (actually it was a 360 degree cam). And they did have authorization from Steve Dodge. So my issue is NOT with the person who was putting up the camera. Terry was right that it was a slightly different green for the lead card then. I have no issues with it, if it was discussed with the players ahead of time at the players meeting or something like that.

We already give special circumstances to the lead card with the extra buffer in tee times to help avoid backups for the broadcast. So, this isn't unprecedented.
Are there other examples of altering the course for the lead card? Extra time doesn't alter the course.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,855 Times in 2,546 Posts

I don't think the camera is a big deal. The regular cameramen/women are "changing the course" already. At any time, one of the players could have the opportunity to accidently hit a cameraman and get a good/bad kick that other players not being filmed wouldn't have. I don't really see where this is any different.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts

I would think the gallery, especially when it gets to be as large as it was yesterday in a setting like that where there's not a ton of room for the people to go, alters the course and/or the play to some degree. Not that it was an issue at Maple Hill, but having all those extra sets of eyes down the fairway can be advantageous to the leader card on holes where there might be potential for lost discs. Granted, most of these high profile events have spotters on staff to cover those spots too, but an errant drive on the 15th card could result in a lost disc penalty that the lead card is unlikely to suffer because a bunch of people were within 30 feet of the disc when it landed and never lost sight of it.