Old 03-27-2019, 10:46 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.9
Courses Played: 90
Niced 21 Times in 15 Posts

At 6'4" I often feel that the main issue is tee pad length. They should check the usual run up length for a non 360 drive of 6'6" player and that should be the length of the tee pad rather than just making it up. Anything taller than that and we are talking a pretty small population.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-27-2019, 10:54 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 175
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 775 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Hearing tall people try to write it off as an athletic disadvantage is like hearing rich people tell you it’s easy to become rich.
Who is writing it off as an athletic disadvantage? Height and athleticism dont go together imo. Just because Im tall doesnt mean that im automatically more athletic then a shorter person. Athleticism is more based around genes and how you were raised and what you were taught.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:36 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 107
Niced 54 Times in 33 Posts

I'm 6'3", I think it is an advantage. From the people I regularly play with, a lot of the longer throwers are also tall. Athleticism helps more, but I don't have that.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-27-2019, 11:54 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 30
Niced 288 Times in 144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Who is writing it off as an athletic disadvantage? Height and athleticism dont go together imo. Just because Im tall doesnt mean that im automatically more athletic then a shorter person. Athleticism is more based around genes and how you were raised and what you were taught.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesocrul View Post
I'm 6'3", I think it is an advantage. From the people I regularly play with, a lot of the longer throwers are also tall. Athleticism helps more, but I don't have that.
I'm 6'3". It's definitely not any DISadvantage and, IMO, in every sport or competitive-type activity I've ever played - from "real" sports like baseball and basketball, to non-classically athletic sports like ours or ball golf, to bar games like pool and darts - I'd MUCH rather be my height (or even taller) than 5'8" or even 6'1"

FWIW: I'm very athletically-inclined (and always have been) and hyper-competitive
Old 03-27-2019, 12:07 PM

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 14
Niced 15 Times in 7 Posts

Being tall would only be an advantage if you have good form. In my opinion, since taller players generally have longer wingspans they'll have a higher chance at error with timing, reach back and follow through etc.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:16 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 298 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by etdefender19 View Post
I'm 6'3". It's definitely not any DISadvantage and, IMO, in every sport or competitive-type activity I've ever played - from "real" sports like baseball and basketball, to non-classically athletic sports like ours or ball golf, to bar games like pool and darts - I'd MUCH rather be my height (or even taller) than 5'8" or even 6'1"

FWIW: I'm very athletically-inclined (and always have been) and hyper-competitive
About the only disadvantage I've encountered is ice hockey.. and that's just stick length

Oh, and rental golf clubs.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.9
Courses Played: 259
Niced 141 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
All you tall people complaining about low ceilings and banging your heads on branches make me irrationally upset.

Let's ask Casey about the advantages of being short.
physically short.....

or "quotable" short?

Old 03-27-2019, 04:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 562 Times in 363 Posts

I'd rather be short like me (5'6.5" or so) with McBeth talent than 6'+ and my talent.

That being said, height is probably an advantage when it comes to that initial difficulty curve for adding distance. Add elite form and practice to a 5'8" frame like McBeth's and the height advantage may fade. Anything over 6'6" would certainly give diminishing returns and would likely be detrimental as opposed to 6'6" or 6'5", just a ballpark there.

The only physical activity I can think of aside from obvious ones like jockeying where anything over 6' seems to be a disadvantage is skateboarding. When I would bomb hills with my tall friends, they would topple when they fell.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 12
Niced 486 Times in 345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by etdefender19 View Post

Being a pool player, height isn't so much an advantage, as long arms are, but I get your point. I also agree with most that most teepads I come across are too short, except for the rare 12' pads. I don't mind the pad length if the ground is level with the edge of the pad, but if it isn't it is really annoying (I played a new course that has turf tees, and since I hadn't played it outside of this winter, I didn't realise it had wooden edges, which I almost tripped over, especially on the only uphill hole, as the wood comes up about 2" above the ground), and potentially hazardous.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
I'd rather be short like me (5'6.5" or so) with McBeth talent than 6'+ and my talent.

That being said, height is probably an advantage when it comes to that initial difficulty curve for adding distance. Add elite form and practice to a 5'8" frame like McBeth's and the height advantage may fade. Anything over 6'6" would certainly give diminishing returns and would likely be detrimental as opposed to 6'6" or 6'5", just a ballpark there.

The only physical activity I can think of aside from obvious ones like jockeying where anything over 6' seems to be a disadvantage is skateboarding. When I would bomb hills with my tall friends, they would topple when they fell.
Is McBeth only 5'8"? I always thought that he was shorter til I met him, and I would have sworn he was a giant...

Actually, I thought 5'10"