Old 12-26-2019, 07:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 50.3
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 641 Times in 273 Posts

DD now has four retail locations, who else is doing that? It seems to me that they operate under a different business model that doesn't rely on big name pros to sell product. It's almost apples and oranges comparing DD to Innova and Discraft.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 12-26-2019, 08:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,620 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
DD now has four retail locations, who else is doing that? It seems to me that they operate under a different business model that doesn't rely on big name pros to sell product. It's almost apples and oranges comparing DD to Innova and Discraft.
I'm curious how sustainable four retail locations is...I can't imagine they make much money, aside from just keeping the lights on.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:27 AM
Par Member

Niced 82 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I'm curious how sustainable four retail locations is...I can't imagine they make much money, aside from just keeping the lights on.
I can tell you the one in Kansas City is constantly busy. Josh and his team do a really good job, and take care of everyone that comes in there. They sell all brands, but you can buy and then throw any trilogy plastic, and if you don't like it you can bring it back for a full refund (within two weeks). That is enticing to a lot of newer players trying to figure out what they like.

Old 12-26-2019, 01:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 213
Niced 342 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
The retail locations are franchised as far as I know. By placing them strategically near busy disc golf courses, hosting weekend tournaments and weekday flex starts in conjunction all over a metro area and having the AM payout option to have more choice by coming IN to the store rather than the limited discs on site, plus adding in clinics, in-store events with local and touring pros, and some DD media events (or similar) on site, they seem to be doing really well.

I haven't been in the Texas store (Carrollton - Dallas/Fort Worth area) on a weekend when it wasn't busy. Now this store has an agreement to stock all brands which brings a very good reason for Ams who cash in their events to come to the store (they have DD, Lat, & Westside in the on-site RV). But even those who want one of the three brands made in Sweden, have a much better selection in the store. And they also have buy-test-exchange-free for the DD, Lat & Westside discs.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-04-2020, 12:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,148 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
So this year Dynamic discs lost Paige Pierce, Missy Gannon, Zoe Andyke, Dustin Keegan, Zach Arlinghaus, Peter McBride, and Jordan Castro.
That's more than just a typical season ending shift. Sumpin's up......

Niced: (1)
Old 01-09-2020, 01:19 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 46
Niced 9 Times in 6 Posts

I think dd is making good buisness decisions. Sponsoring pros/events/competitive play has little to no roi.
The money is in the recreational side of the game.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:09 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 481 Times in 184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappabearlee View Post
I think dd is making good buisness decisions. Sponsoring pros/events/competitive play has little to no roi.
Innova has always had a stranglehold on the rec market as first to market. That DD had a trial run in some Dick’s stores is a start to eating into Innova’s dominance. I don’t know the status of that biz relationship as I’ve stopped engaging their social media.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,405 Times in 812 Posts

The last time I was at Acadmy sports, they were carrying some Disc Craft and Prodigy as well... but that has been a few years ago.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 108
Niced 569 Times in 260 Posts

Even our small town Dunham’s now has a couple DD bags and maybe a disc.
Normally they have about Innova 2 starter sets and a bag. Now with about 8 total discs (mostly Innova) we’ve moved into the big time. LOL!

Old 01-09-2020, 03:58 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 49 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappabearlee View Post
Yeah, I think Discraft might disagree with that assertion. I think Paul's salary is more than paying for itself.

Niced: (3)