1. Hobbs Farm + Harmon Hills + Langley Pond
2. Flip + Beast + Leviathan
3. IDGC + Flyboy
4. Renny +Hornets Nest + Nevin + Brackets Bluff Orig

You could even make cases for:
... Idlewild + Lincoln Ridge + Mt Airy + Osage Grove
... Moraine + Deer Lakes + Knob Hill+ Muddy Hill
... Bryant Lake + BRP + VisionQuest + Kaposia
...but each of those last 3 groupings has at least one course that many would feel isn't quite as good as Canyons, and I wouldn't really argue it.

Don't get me wrong: Canyons is an excellent course, solidly a 4.25... a bit better than most excellent courses. But there are plenty of courses that are even better. Anyone who thinks it's one of the very best in the country needs to take more/better road trips. You might even say they have plenty to look forward to.
I have no comment on the other combinations other than to say that I'm jealous, but I'm curious about the bolded one. Specifically, Mason County Beast. I'm curious where you have that one rated, Bogey. I haven't reviewed it, but would probably put it in the 3.5-4 range. Maybe it's the homer in me talking, but I would slot Canyons over Beast 10 times out of 10.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2020, 02:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 427
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 925 Times in 316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Here are two things where Canyons could improve, and for Sean's pro shop, be more profitable, that have nothing to do with any hole designs: routing and breaking into two courses, an 18 and a 9 with two tees on each hole making it feel like an 18 (see Brockway and Red Oak in Twin Cities). With regard to routing, all you need to do is look at the course map to see the big and sometimes non-intuitive transitions in the routing.

The current routing is not necessarily what the designers would have wanted but what they were forced to do (from what I understand) based on Park Dept restrictions as the course evolved. They did the best they could under the circumstances. But looking at the current 27 version from a top level design standpoint, the routing would not be rated as high as the hole design quality IMO.

With regard to 27-hole courses, I'm thinking the tide is shifting in terms of more holes than say 21 on a course being better than two layouts both from a marketing standpoint for sites trying to boost traffic for sales and for players who don't want to feel like they need to always take to the time to play a full 27 to have "officially" played the course, even if they have the option to play 27 from the shortest tees. For people who want to play after work and can only get in 18, they probably go to other courses than a 27. People taking a lunch break or at a picnic, especially newbies, more likely to play a 9-holer that feels like a complete round experience, especially if the pro shop posts course records for different course configs, gender and age ranges.

With a cooperative Park Dept, perhaps most of the routing issues could simultaneously be solved by breaking into an 18 and 9x2 with perhaps only a few holes that need to be reversed or inserted to make it work. The existing base of avid players who like the 27 will still have at least 27 to play if they wish but more and newer players overall are likely to play a course or two there.
agreed, there are substantial layout flow problems. Not sure when you last played, but there were 2 concrete tees on 16 holes (blue/white) when i played in December. this is in addition to the natural surface red tees.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by wellsbranch250; 01-31-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 241
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,263 Posts

has canyons ever been in top 10 status on here
Old 01-31-2020, 03:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 446
Niced 118 Times in 61 Posts

I don't believe so. I've been around here long enough that I think I would have noticed it.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-31-2020, 03:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 446
Niced 118 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Courses better than Canyons I've hit on a single trip:
1. Hobbs Farm + Harmon Hills + Langley Pond
2. Flip + Beast + Leviathan
3. IDGC + Flyboy
4. Renny +Hornets Nest + Nevin + Brackets Bluff Orig

You could even make cases for:
... Idlewild + Lincoln Ridge + Mt Airy + Osage Grove
... Moraine + Deer Lakes + Knob Hill+ Muddy Hill
... Bryant Lake + BRP + VisionQuest + Kaposia
...but each of those last 3 groupings has at least one course that many would feel isn't quite as good as Canyons, and I wouldn't really argue it.
Going to get Hobbs, Langley, and IDGC in March. Pretty excited for that trip.

Mostly I wanted to comment on brackets. That place sure is fun. Love the opening hole with the trampoline. That just really gets you in the mindset of having pure fun.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,997 Times in 1,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
I have no comment on the other combinations other than to say that I'm jealous, but I'm curious about the bolded one. Specifically, Mason County Beast. I'm curious where you have that one rated, Bogey. I haven't reviewed it, but would probably put it in the 3.5-4 range. Maybe it's the homer in me talking, but I would slot Canyons over Beast 10 times out of 10.
Beast = 4.5
Leviathan = 4.5
Flip = 5.0

Trying not to seem homerish (it's about 3 hrs from me), but I thoroughly enjoyed Beast.
FWIW - I think it's better than Goliath, which I'd give a 3.75.

I can agree to disagree on Beast. I like it more than Canyons, but not by a ton.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 194
Niced 154 Times in 86 Posts

From what I’ve played in Michigan I’d rank it

1 blue gill. 2 leviathan. 3 flip
Old 01-31-2020, 07:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,997 Times in 1,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicRib View Post
From what I’ve played in Michigan I’d rank it

1 blue gill. 2 leviathan. 3 flip
I can totally respect that.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 74
Niced 206 Times in 64 Posts

Nice to see Idlewild, Lincoln, Osage, and Mt. Airy listed...heading to throw in Cincinnati area for the first time the last week of April...plan on playing all of the above...

For me, the best combos in an area within an hour drive that I've played are...

Moraine, Deer Lakes, North Boundary, Big Beaver near Pittsburgh...

Brewster Ridge, Fox Run, Black Falls in Vermont....

501, Maple Hill, Borderland in Massachusetts...

Pineland Farms, Sabattus, Bittersweet Ridge in Maine...

Old 01-31-2020, 10:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,856 Times in 2,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnick View Post
Nice to see Idlewild, Lincoln, Osage, and Mt. Airy listed...heading to throw in Cincinnati area for the first time the last week of April...plan on playing all of the above...
Make sure you bring a good pair of waterproof boots/shoes for Osage. It is usually very muddy that time of year. A lot of the park used to be a farm, so there is a lot of areas where the soil isn't as dense as others from being tilled over the years. Those just hold water like crazy and some of those spots just happen to also be where it doesn't get enough sun in the spring to dry out. They've done some work in a few of them to try to lessen it but there's really only so much you can do on a small town budget. The concrete pads they put in a couple years ago help also. It was horrible on the rubber mats they used to have when its muddy.

Definitely still worth a visit but thought you should be warned.

The good thing is, you might be thru here before the thorns really start growing.