#1351  
Old 02-11-2020, 11:38 AM
BuzzzChief's Avatar
BuzzzChief BuzzzChief is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,571
Niced 350 Times in 189 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemisClydFr0g View Post
I got a 163g GStar Firebird after throwing a 160g FAF 12x that just dumped into the ground. The GStar essentially flies like a Teebird or FD2. I now know I made a mistake with the plastic and weight combination. My question is, where do I go from here? I don't have a ton of power, so it's going to serve as a utility/headwind disc for me.

Any recommendations on which plastic/weight to go for? Here is what I'm thinking my options are for now:

~170-175g GStar
~165-169g Star
For me, bread and butter Firebirds are Champions in the lower 170's with a touch of dome. FAF ones will be crazy overstable out of the box, regardless of weight. The key is to get one with a regular/low amount of dome to it. Enough dome to give it a little glide, and not have the parting line pulled up too high.

A Star would also probably be a good choice, in my experience these typically mold up with the kind of dome I'm describing.
Sponsored Links

Reply With Quote
  #1352  
Old 02-11-2020, 11:39 AM
Siriusbomb Siriusbomb is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Courses Played: 3
Posts: 52
Niced 26 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemisClydFr0g View Post
Any recommendations on which plastic/weight to go for? Here is what I'm thinking my options are for now:

~170-175g GStar
~165-169g Star
I want my Firebirds to be beefy as can be, so I only ever look at 175g in Star or Champion (Sexton's champion glow is too good). That'd be my recommendation for just about anyone, but perhaps that's not appropriate for all power levels. Really, a heavy premium plastic Thunderbird might be right for you - Star Thundys are very Firebird-like.

Reply With Quote
  #1353  
Old 02-11-2020, 11:52 AM
Bardu's Avatar
Bardu Bardu is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 161
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,398
Niced 156 Times in 114 Posts
Default

I use a 167 Champ with a slight dome for backhand and Sextons for forehand.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #1354  
Old 02-11-2020, 12:31 PM
Myke566's Avatar
Myke566 Myke566 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 359
Niced 236 Times in 116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
For me, bread and butter Firebirds are Champions in the lower 170's with a touch of dome. FAF ones will be crazy overstable out of the box, regardless of weight. The key is to get one with a regular/low amount of dome to it. Enough dome to give it a little glide, and not have the parting line pulled up too high.

A Star would also probably be a good choice, in my experience these typically mold up with the kind of dome I'm describing.
Couldn't agree more. I'm glad everyone pines over the FAF Firebirds as there is an abundance of really nice throwers that aren't stupid OS.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #1355  
Old 02-11-2020, 12:36 PM
ArtemisClydFr0g ArtemisClydFr0g is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Courses Played: 16
Posts: 161
Niced 48 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
For me, bread and butter Firebirds are Champions in the lower 170's with a touch of dome. FAF ones will be crazy overstable out of the box, regardless of weight. The key is to get one with a regular/low amount of dome to it. Enough dome to give it a little glide, and not have the parting line pulled up too high.

A Star would also probably be a good choice, in my experience these typically mold up with the kind of dome I'm describing.
Cool. The dome on the GStar is nice (and showed with the glide I got out of it). I tend to prefer the grip of Champ plastic over Star, so it sounds like I just need to find one with some dome and give it a shot.
Reply With Quote
  #1356  
Old 02-11-2020, 12:50 PM
discerdoo's Avatar
discerdoo discerdoo is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,380
Niced 1,110 Times in 588 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusbomb View Post
I want my Firebirds to be beefy as can be, so I only ever look at 175g in Star or Champion (Sexton's champion glow is too good). That'd be my recommendation for just about anyone, but perhaps that's not appropriate for all power levels. Really, a heavy premium plastic Thunderbird might be right for you - Star Thundys are very Firebird-like.
I like them beefy as well, I stocked up on the recent flat champion pearlies and love them. I find the true FAF basically unworkable but not the pearlies. I only bag one FB and probably throw it FH 80%, rarely throw it BH. I have plenty of OS PDs if I need a wind fighting BH control driver.
Reply With Quote
  #1357  
Old 02-11-2020, 01:54 PM
tylerc's Avatar
tylerc tylerc is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: nc
Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 74
Posts: 1,312
Niced 161 Times in 119 Posts
Default

I like the older pfn star ones because they are flat and are a good overstable but not too overstable. They also break into good long straight with a slow fade discs in the 400 range
Reply With Quote
  #1358  
Old 02-11-2020, 02:38 PM
Moose33 Moose33 is offline
Salient/Yikun Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 5,419
Niced 1,191 Times in 772 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
Anyone here use a Firebird for a long time & then replace it totally with an FD3, Felon, Motion or Raptor type disc?
I tried those, but the Motion was too long/straight and the Raptor turned a bit too much. Though the Domey Champ ones you see about are basically a Raptor.

I did try a Flare and it’s essentially an old FAF Firebird reborn. Really like it.
Reply With Quote
  #1359  
Old 02-11-2020, 02:40 PM
Moose33 Moose33 is offline
Salient/Yikun Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 5,419
Niced 1,191 Times in 772 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
I like them beefy as well, I stocked up on the recent flat champion pearlies and love them. I find the true FAF basically unworkable but not the pearlies. I only bag one FB and probably throw it FH 80%, rarely throw it BH. I have plenty of OS PDs if I need a wind fighting BH control driver.
I had the fortune/misfortune to pick up my first Firebirds in the true FAF era, there have been a couple of other flat pearly runs in okay with, but none that I love like an old FAF 175.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #1360  
Old 02-11-2020, 04:17 PM
The Albatross's Avatar
The Albatross The Albatross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,486
Niced 401 Times in 205 Posts
Default

The dynamic duo: Modern flat firebird, and beat 11x. No need for domey firebirds.
There are three runs that stand out to me, in order of most favorite: 2012ish Opaque FAF, 2019 Flat and Pearly, 2012 Pearly FAF.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good things man. Good things. H.R HukkinStuff General Disc Golf Chat 52 09-10-2013 02:48 PM
My list of plastic things I throw at metal things. jfrosty42 Bag Suggestions & Feedback 0 07-14-2013 02:36 AM
19 Discs, CE Firebird, 10x Firebird, Eagles, Discraft and Old, Old Wham-O Mr.Scary The Marketplace 37 12-18-2011 05:17 PM
Pearly candy pro firebird for your CE leopard or firebird scottp The Marketplace 0 02-01-2011 04:54 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.