Old 02-14-2020, 12:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 216
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 373 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
It's surely the amount of spin that he imparts on the disc then. As that spin slows the stability reduces and the understability shows. Is that right?
That's how I always understood it. You need to have both high rate of spin and a high exit velocity so the disc is still traveling with enough speed to start turning as the spin slows down.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2020, 01:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 868 Times in 457 Posts

James was playing my home course in Kerava, Finland last summer while touring with Nate Perkins. Told him (partly to egg him on) that #3 is a total forehand hole. 380 feet straight, then a curve to the left, little bit uphill at the end. Big slope right to left all the way, so if you get any fade on your RHBH, you might go ways off fairway. Of course James proceeded to park it with an Aviar. Also on hole #5 he got caught up on the drive, then threw the highest shot I probably ever have seen, over everything, with an Aviar. He is about 150ft out, I tell him if you get it Ill by one of your tour discs. Throws it in of course. All three shots with an Aviar. Now you dont know the hole but you got to throw a huge S-curve RHBH and land it perfectly to set up the uphill tunnel shot. I have seen pros play the Beast at European Open several times and all that jazz but those Aviar shots are the most amazing disc golf shots I have ever seen, by far.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:10 PM
Par Member

Niced 143 Times in 93 Posts

I liked this, nothing crazy. No “I got this from a friend in 2007” or OOP stuff. Also didn’t seem like he was pushing some new or unpopular mold like some pros seem to. The Everyman’s bag
Old Yesterday, 01:24 AM

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

isn't the Aviar-X not that popular of a mold? JC is the only master of that disc I know. Wouldn't the sight of him bagging 5 of that mold including his sig disc def be considered a push? Seeing him constantly throw that old green one definitely made me buy not just 1 but 3 to get familiar with and throw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethamphetamine View Post
I liked this, nothing crazy. No “I got this from a friend in 2007” or OOP stuff. Also didn’t seem like he was pushing some new or unpopular mold like some pros seem to. The Everyman’s bag
Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Niced 922 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echota View Post
isn't the Aviar-X not that popular of a mold? JC is the only master of that disc I know. Wouldn't the sight of him bagging 5 of that mold including his sig disc def be considered a push? Seeing him constantly throw that old green one definitely made me buy not just 1 but 3 to get familiar with and throw.
Paul McBeth threw an AviarX3 at one point as his forehand approach disc/wind approach disc. It was his disc of choice at the time with Innova as the disc was made for him wanting a clone of the Zone, something that Innova has not made nor really needs having the Pig and the Rhyno with the Rhyno being easier to forhand due to its much lower profile then the Pig. Dave at Innova did make the Rat for Paul something I am guessing he probably would have used for his main approach disc if he stuck with Innova and had not gone to Discraft but more then likely still having the AviarX3 he puts in the bag for even more wind for his shot days.
Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,803 Times in 1,008 Posts

Quote:
Juliana Korver (JK) is the "original master" of that disc. . and James used the JK-Aviar long before he got his own version
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Juliana Korver (JK) is the "original master" of that disc. . and James used the JK-Aviar long before he got his own version
so 2 pros bagging the disc is enough for it to qualify as popular?
Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,803 Times in 1,008 Posts

Quote:
so 2 pros bagging the disc is enough for it to qualify as popular?
Maybe not "popular" . . but JC use that disc SOOO much that at least its a known disc
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 65
Niced 211 Times in 150 Posts

Isn't the JK pro aviar the same as the KC aviar in softer plastic. And essentially the same as other BB aviars over the years? I would say he is throwing a less popular version of an extremely popular disc.

Niced: (1)

Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 65
Niced 211 Times in 150 Posts

Pretty sure that's what Rick putts with too. Also for a very long time any version of AviarX was much more common than anything but maybe wizards for off the tee putters.

Niced: (1)