#1  
Old 02-20-2020, 09:39 AM
Herrmann32 Herrmann32 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Courses Played: 56
Posts: 6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Charleston SC with Trophy Lakes closed

Hey everyone,

I am going to Charleston SC in early March, looking to get a round or two in. I originally was planning on Trophy Lakes but this site says it is closed. What other options nearby are worth the trip? I see a decent amount of Sewee Outpost mentions, but was looking for another course to play. All suggestions welcome!
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-20-2020, 04:31 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Posts: 15,406
Niced 3,906 Times in 1,649 Posts
Default

I can't help you with other courses, but suggest you double-check on Trophy Lakes just before you go.

Looking at their Facebook page, they closed it "until further notice" due to some theft of lost-and-found discs. As I read it, it's not necessarily closed permanently. Cross your fingers; if it does reopen, you won't want to miss it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-21-2020, 01:21 AM
Steelersfan Steelersfan is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Fire swamp in west Ashley is fun
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-21-2020, 08:26 AM
DiscGolfCraig's Avatar
DiscGolfCraig DiscGolfCraig is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 342
Posts: 1,325
Niced 323 Times in 136 Posts
Default

In order of quality Sewee, Naval Weapons Station, Park Circle, and James Island are your best bets. West Ashley is, well, a swamp, so don't play if it's recently rained.

Follow the club's Facebook page for updates on Trophy Lakes.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-21-2020, 10:09 AM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 10,489
Niced 3,069 Times in 1,434 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I can't help you with other courses, but suggest you double-check on Trophy Lakes just before you go.

Looking at their Facebook page, they closed it "until further notice" due to some theft of lost-and-found discs. As I read it, it's not necessarily closed permanently. Cross your fingers; if it does reopen, you won't want to miss it.
Not that I condone theft, but I sincerely hope they don't shut down permanently over that.

I was seriously thinking about hitting Trophy Lakes when I swung through last Dec, but didn't because I didn't like something about the logistics... and figured I could hit it on my next trip down. Hope that's still the case on another year or so.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-21-2020, 11:31 AM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Posts: 15,406
Niced 3,906 Times in 1,649 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Not that I condone theft, but I sincerely hope they don't shut down permanently over that.

I was seriously thinking about hitting Trophy Lakes when I swung through last Dec, but didn't because I didn't like something about the logistics... and figured I could hit it on my next trip down. Hope that's still the case on another year or so.
I wasn't aware of it being closed, until Herrmann32 mentioned it to start this thread, and I looked at Trophy Lakes' Facebook page.

I also hope it doesn't stay closed. But I understand the sentiment. We had something similar at Stoney Hill at our tournament back in October; somebody went swimming and pulled out about 70 discs, and in very short order, 40 of them disappeared. I was in an extremely pissed mood while conducting the awards ceremony.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-21-2020, 12:14 PM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 10,489
Niced 3,069 Times in 1,434 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
We had something similar at Stoney Hill at our tournament back in October; somebody went swimming and pulled out about 70 discs, and in very short order, 40 of them disappeared. I was in an extremely pissed mood while conducting the awards ceremony.
Competely understand. Course owners usually try to do right by their guests, and are pretty good about trying to get lost discs back. Can't blame an owner for being pissed about some jackhole pilferring a bunch discs they're trying to make available to the rightful owners.

All it takes is one little turd in the pool to ruin it for everyone.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 02-21-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-21-2020, 03:31 PM
DiscGolfCraig's Avatar
DiscGolfCraig DiscGolfCraig is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 342
Posts: 1,325
Niced 323 Times in 136 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I wasn't aware of it being closed, until Herrmann32 mentioned it to start this thread, and I looked at Trophy Lakes' Facebook page.
Thread hijack.

I posted that update more than a month ago. I was waiting to see how long it would take before anyone noticed. Guess the Chucktown DGC isn’t active on here anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Herrmann32 Herrmann32 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Courses Played: 56
Posts: 6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the updates! I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled to the Facebook page in hopes that it opens by the time I'm there! If trophy lakes isn't open, Sewee seems like my next best bet. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 02-24-2020, 02:51 PM
DiscGolfCraig's Avatar
DiscGolfCraig DiscGolfCraig is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 342
Posts: 1,325
Niced 323 Times in 136 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrmann32 View Post
Thanks for the updates! I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled to the Facebook page in hopes that it opens by the time I'm there! If trophy lakes isn't open, Sewee seems like my next best bet. Thanks all!
Sewee also has a decent selection of discs in the shop. It's a nice setup out there so if you're not in a rush, good place to play twice.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charleston area courses besides Trophy Lakes? NoahChristopher Vacations & Road Trips 4 12-05-2019 07:53 PM
HOD 10/28/12: Trophy Lakes in Charleston (John's Island), SC Brall Hole of the Day 29 11-10-2012 11:37 PM
HOD 06/14/12: Trophy Lakes in Charleston (John's Island), SC Brall Hole of the Day 40 06-21-2012 07:26 PM
Trophy Lakes Charleston SC 7/18/2011 jpsimmons Vacations & Road Trips 0 07-16-2011 11:54 AM
Trophy Lakes in Charleston, SC harr0140 Disc Golf Courses 12 01-07-2010 09:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.