Old 02-21-2020, 12:38 PM

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 110
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 10 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecandydan View Post
Okay, I know we're drifting off-topic, but I love it. Glad to know I'm not the only one who does this.

My favorites I've made up are "Afternoon Delight" --> "Sidewinder in flight, afternoon delight" and Trace Adkins' "Just Fishin'" --> "He thinks we're just discin' . . . "
Maybe a new thread needs to happen, but my favorite song lyric my buddies and I have changed is "My *disc* is so clean, it would probably go good with your broccoli and cheese."- I'll let you google the song on your own.

Back On-topic: I like the OP's idea.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-21-2020, 01:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 7
Niced 731 Times in 392 Posts

I love the idea of handing down a number to someone of my choosing. I'm a sucker for legacy and traditions.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,300 Times in 899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
Nope, it ain't broken, and I ain't trying to fix anything, just add even more richness to the traditions

Just so I can understand your position, do you feel your particular "badge" would be diminished by other people's legacy numbers, or do you feel that your "badge" would be diminished by someone using your specific number after you are done with it?
I just feel that, if you want the honor of wearing a low number "badge" you should have to earn it. I joined and supported the PDGA for a decade or better, before ever playing a sanctioned event. Does not seem fair that some "johnny come lately" should look be shown at an event, as having a lower number than the old geezer playing MA60, who has paid into the PDGA for decades.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,387 Times in 534 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I just feel that, if you want the honor of wearing a low number "badge" you should have to earn it. I joined and supported the PDGA for a decade or better, before ever playing a sanctioned event. Does not seem fair that some "johnny come lately" should look be shown at an event, as having a lower number than the old geezer playing MA60, who has paid into the PDGA for decades.
No one will think the 20 something year old really got #234 on his own. Maybe the MA60 would know the original owner of the number and love playing with their offspring.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-21-2020, 01:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,150 Times in 667 Posts

I think most fans wouldn't care if Paul's # was 1 or 1000000. So if the PDGA allows this to happen, I see nothing wrong with it. But I'm guessing the PDGA wants those those membership numbers incrementing.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 140
Niced 479 Times in 215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
What would everyone think about allowing family members take on a PDGA number from them?
Why? What is the intrinsic value?
What "problem" does this solve?
What problem(s) could this create?

I think the reason this is not a current practice is because so many age-protected divisions are available, so one would theoretically never retire.

I think there absolutely would be a a side/black market for the lower PDGA numbers. The same way people want 11x TBs, *DS Destroyers, etc.

I agree with others, the numbers should be non-transferable.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,868 Times in 2,555 Posts

I doubt the PDGA would be on board with this. It would make showing growth of membership harder to advertisers and/or park boards people are trying to convince to put in a tourney quality course.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:57 PM
Banned but not forgotten

Niced 607 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
If we tagged the number with a prefix everyone would know they are a "johnny come lately" or more specifically "not nearly as old as ru4por". So when you see PDGA # L2, you would look up who the second PDGA member ever is and see it is Victor Malafronte, someone you probably never heard of if you are under the age of 50. And then you would learn about what an amazing pioneer Victor was, and you would know that the player with the L2 tag was his grandson and was carrying on his legacy as a current player. Doesn't that situation warm your heart a little?

To make it a more commonplace situation, you would have PDGA # L23456, a respectable but by no means awe inspiring number. You look up that player after he wins a local tournament and see that he took on his beloved Dad's number, and maybe that player can have a little memorial blurb on his PDGA profile honoring his late dad, and you can see how the Dad passed the disc golf tradition down to his son and it lives on. Doesn't that make you a little misty eyed?

Or what about in 50 years, and you see that the family PDGA number which started with Grandpa, passed to his son, and now the daughter is able to rep both her dad and grandpa on her own disc golf journey. Anything??

Old 02-21-2020, 02:04 PM
Banned but not forgotten

Niced 607 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
Why? What is the intrinsic value?
What "problem" does this solve?
What problem(s) could this create?

I think the reason this is not a current practice is because so many age-protected divisions are available, so one would theoretically never retire.

I think there absolutely would be a a side/black market for the lower PDGA numbers. The same way people want 11x TBs, *DS Destroyers, etc.

I agree with others, the numbers should be non-transferable.
The intrinsic value is the ability to create a legacy in disc golf. Your number lives on instead of rotting on a database. Hell you can't even see the past disc golf history of the old timers because they aren't renewed!! That is a shame in and of itself. On the other side the value is being able to honor those that got you into the sport by wearing their number. How many here requested a specific football jersey because it was Dad's number?

It doesn't solve a "problem", why should everything solve a problem? It is a way people can gain more enjoyment of disc golf and a way for the PDGA to generate extra free revenue.

As for the problems it could cause, really the only problem would be the black market. I assume that there would be very little interest in an "L" number you have no attachment to. But I could be wrong. I think this problem can be planned around with some considerations.

As for your age protected divisions comment, that is really a nonfactor. You still playing? Don't pass down your number!!

Old 02-21-2020, 02:08 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 30
Niced 37 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hcgoods View Post
Maybe a new thread needs to happen, but my favorite song lyric my buddies and I have changed is "My *disc* is so clean, it would probably go good with your broccoli and cheese."- I'll let you google the song on your own.

Back On-topic: I like the OP's idea.
It's been done:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=134804