#31  
Old 02-21-2020, 02:18 PM
Golden Tuna's Avatar
Golden Tuna Golden Tuna is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO.
Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 822
Niced 479 Times in 215 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
The intrinsic value is the ability to create a legacy in disc golf. Your number lives on instead of rotting on a database. Hell you can't even see the past disc golf history of the old timers because they aren't renewed!! That is a shame in and of itself. On the other side the value is being able to honor those that got you into the sport by wearing their number. How many here requested a specific football jersey because it was Dad's number?

It doesn't solve a "problem", why should everything solve a problem? It is a way people can gain more enjoyment of disc golf and a way for the PDGA to generate extra free revenue.

As for the problems it could cause, really the only problem would be the black market. I assume that there would be very little interest in an "L" number you have no attachment to. But I could be wrong. I think this problem can be planned around with some considerations.

As for your age protected divisions comment, that is really a nonfactor. You still playing? Don't pass down your number!!
I think you can create legacy without passing numbers down. I would be more interested if my son could have my number + 100,000 (if that's where we are numerically). So, if I were 11,111, my son could be 111,111 or 211,111 (depending on when/if he joins).

I am also not a fan of the lack of information for non-current PDGA members. But, I think round and rating history is considered a member benefit.

In my opinion practical solutions solve problems. Extraneous initiatives create more problems than they solve.

I absolutely think the fanbois would buy lower numbers to show off, or trade for their favorite number, etc.

I like the luck of the draw and speed to market (so to speak). I also like to be able to look at the guys on my card and know they're initiated if they have a number under ~50k, so I don't have to explain the nuances to the 120k+ boys...
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-21-2020, 02:32 PM
SonicGuy's Avatar
SonicGuy SonicGuy is online now
Banned but not forgotten
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,912
Niced 607 Times in 323 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
I think you can create legacy without passing numbers down. I would be more interested if my son could have my number + 100,000 (if that's where we are numerically). So, if I were 11,111, my son could be 111,111 or 211,111 (depending on when/if he joins).

I am also not a fan of the lack of information for non-current PDGA members. But, I think round and rating history is considered a member benefit.

In my opinion practical solutions solve problems. Extraneous initiatives create more problems than they solve.

I absolutely think the fanbois would buy lower numbers to show off, or trade for their favorite number, etc.

I like the luck of the draw and speed to market (so to speak). I also like to be able to look at the guys on my card and know they're initiated if they have a number under ~50k, so I don't have to explain the nuances to the 120k+ boys...
I would be fine with a numerical prefix, but we can't use your solution for reasons that should be very obvious. The numerical prefix would need to be a 0.

As for you speed to market thing, how ridiculous. That may have made sense 20 years ago when people were hemming and hawing about whether the PDGA would be around in the future, but at this point come on, your speed to market is speed at being born. Which is a ludicrous thing to be proud of. We know you are old, you look old dude.

As for your last comment, my system makes if infinitely easier to spot the new players, because anyone with a legacy prefix is automatically new. Now in 50 years that won't be true, but in 50 years you won't be able to casually glance at a PDGA number and determine seniority very easily anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-21-2020, 02:32 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,258
Niced 2,470 Times in 928 Posts
Default

Maybe we could just charge extra and allow for vanity PDGA Identification? ru4por? Maybe we could just allow for our names to become our PDGA identification? Maybe we could just assigned self designed symbols as PDGA identification? Maybe we could just assign colors and combination of colors for PDGA identification? Maybe we should start putting a micro chip into golfers for PDGA identification? Maybe we could assign songs for PDGA identification? It could be our permanent tee off song.

All good ideas, as well.....OK, maybe not so good. Changing a system that is working well, for many different reason, seems to make it more complicated and adding a lot of work.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-21-2020, 02:35 PM
SonicGuy's Avatar
SonicGuy SonicGuy is online now
Banned but not forgotten
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,912
Niced 607 Times in 323 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Maybe we could just charge extra and allow for vanity PDGA Identification? ru4por? Maybe we could just allow for our names to become our PDGA identification? Maybe we could just assigned self designed symbols as PDGA identification? Maybe we could just assign colors and combination of colors for PDGA identification? Maybe we should start putting a micro chip into golfers for PDGA identification? Maybe we could assign songs for PDGA identification? It could be our permanent tee off song.

All good ideas, as well.....OK, maybe not so good. Changing a system that is working well, for many different reason, seems to make it more complicated and adding a lot of work.
Quite honestly it is insane that the PDGA doesn't offer the opportunity to customize your player page. Why in the world are they passing up free money?

Do you understand that your argument basically amounts to get off my lawn?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-21-2020, 02:36 PM
Broken Shoulder's Avatar
Broken Shoulder Broken Shoulder is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Minnesota
Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 19
Posts: 3,641
Niced 1,268 Times in 555 Posts
Default

Buncha grumps.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-21-2020, 02:50 PM
zenbot's Avatar
zenbot zenbot is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ventura, California
Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 31
Posts: 11,140
Niced 393 Times in 147 Posts
Default

"I didn't leave you any money but you get my PDGA number in the low 30 thousands."

Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-21-2020, 03:31 PM
Golden Tuna's Avatar
Golden Tuna Golden Tuna is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO.
Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 822
Niced 479 Times in 215 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
I would be fine with a numerical prefix, but we can't use your solution for reasons that should be very obvious. The numerical prefix would need to be a 0.

As for you speed to market thing, how ridiculous. That may have made sense 20 years ago when people were hemming and hawing about whether the PDGA would be around in the future, but at this point come on, your speed to market is speed at being born. Which is a ludicrous thing to be proud of. We know you are old, you look old dude.

As for your last comment, my system makes if infinitely easier to spot the new players, because anyone with a legacy prefix is automatically new. Now in 50 years that won't be true, but in 50 years you won't be able to casually glance at a PDGA number and determine seniority very easily anyways.
Ok, I guess I just don't get it. It seems unnecessary to give people the ability to edit which should be standardized (IMO).
The speed to market is like a badge of honor, I've been playing since the 30k PDGA numbers. It is still a small enough sport that it takes some people decades to discover. I actually have an acquaintance who was complaining the other day because he didn't join the PDGA when he first learned of DG, as a result his PDGA number is 114XXX or something. I'm telling you, teh new players that lack street cred will do almost anything to buy that cred...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
Quite honestly it is insane that the PDGA doesn't offer the opportunity to customize your player page. Why in the world are they passing up free money?
There is something efficient to be said about the re-standardization of editable content. When MySpace gave people freedom to "design" their pages, we learned that not everyone has a sense of design, or even a sense of what colors match and which ones contrast... So, standardization can be good in some cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
"I didn't leave you any money but you get my PDGA number in the low 30 thousands."
Forget the inheritance, JR knocked off his old man for his 3-digit PDGA number
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-21-2020, 03:38 PM
ballgolfconvert ballgolfconvert is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Years Playing: 36.3
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 158
Niced 96 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I just feel that, if you want the honor of wearing a low number "badge" you should have to earn it. I joined and supported the PDGA for a decade or better, before ever playing a sanctioned event. Does not seem fair that some "johnny come lately" should look be shown at an event, as having a lower number than the old geezer playing MA60, who has paid into the PDGA for decades.
I don't get the fascination of a PDGA #. Really, who cares? Every sport has numbers assigned for their membership, and even a PDGA # only shows when you signed up, not how long you have been playing, etc. It has no reflection on playing skill, personality, etc. I have no more respect for a player with a low #than a player with a newly issued #. It's all about who you are on the course not your #. Quit being posers.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-21-2020, 03:40 PM
zenbot's Avatar
zenbot zenbot is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ventura, California
Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 31
Posts: 11,140
Niced 393 Times in 147 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
"I didn't leave you any money but you get my PDGA number in the low 30 thousands."
"Grandpa was such a cheapskate. I'm glad he's dead."
Reply With Quote
 

  #40  
Old 02-21-2020, 03:40 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,258
Niced 2,470 Times in 928 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
Quite honestly it is insane that the PDGA doesn't offer the opportunity to customize your player page. Why in the world are they passing up free money?

Do you understand that your argument basically amounts to get off my lawn?
Yes, but I paid for and maintain that lawn. You hipsters want to have a nice lawn party, go grow your own. ......

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Legacy Fairways and Legacy Gauge goaliedavid The Marketplace 12 01-17-2015 12:46 AM
Legacy Cannon and Legacy Rampage Zach_keys The Marketplace 3 08-27-2013 09:15 PM
Help paying for new bumper, Legacy Patriots and whatever else I can offer from legacy lion The Marketplace 6 02-19-2013 08:49 AM
Legacy Discs Tshirt For a Legacy disc Swisher Streets The Marketplace 4 01-30-2013 10:41 PM
New 3XL Legacy discs Dri Fit new, plus legacy info about the Clutch lion The Marketplace 8 12-17-2011 12:59 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.