Old 01-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Hyzer flip....

I need some education here in terms of hyzer flipping. I get the basic idea here, that you release a disc on a hyzer angle, and the goal is the it flips up straight and flies straighter than it would otherwise.

But I have seen some conversations and threads on here that have me questioning how this works. I thought you hyzer flipped a stable/understable disc. By putting it on a hyzer angle, (especially for a US disc) the natural flight of the disc is what flips it up from the hyzer angle, but that all of the right movement (RHBH) is "used up" (not the scientific terminology I am sure) and you are left with a disc flying straight at the target. I assume then there might be some fade at the end depending on the disc that is flipped.

But I have seem some conversations on here that seem to indicate that you can do the same thing with OS discs, but I don't quite understand how that works. Are those convo's basically just wrong, or can you put enough torque on an OS disc to hyzer-flip it? Is the better option the flex shot for OS (anny release, s curve flight)? I know this might sound dumb, but I would appreciate the help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2014, 05:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 350 Times in 212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDinIN View Post
I need some education here in terms of hyzer flipping. I get the basic idea here, that you release a disc on a hyzer angle, and the goal is the it flips up straight and flies straighter than it would otherwise.

But I have seen some conversations and threads on here that have me questioning how this works. I thought you hyzer flipped a stable/understable disc. By putting it on a hyzer angle, (especially for a US disc) the natural flight of the disc is what flips it up from the hyzer angle, but that all of the right movement (RHBH) is "used up" (not the scientific terminology I am sure) and you are left with a disc flying straight at the target. I assume then there might be some fade at the end depending on the disc that is flipped.

But I have seem some conversations on here that seem to indicate that you can do the same thing with OS discs, but I don't quite understand how that works. Are those convo's basically just wrong, or can you put enough torque on an OS disc to hyzer-flip it? Is the better option the flex shot for OS (anny release, s curve flight)? I know this might sound dumb, but I would appreciate the help. Thanks!
Any disc can be hyzer-flipped. It's just most effective, particularly for people without great arm speed, to use an understable disc with true hyzer follow-through and a lean in ... because, as you surmised you can get additional distance if you're not a big arm.

But an overstable disc can be hyzer-flipped as well; you just have to OAT the follow-through (from hyzer line to flat, or however you want the disc to fly). Unfortunately that will cause you to LOSE distance.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 35
Niced 31 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:

It all depends on the stability of the disc. When you say "used up" and goes dead straight, a more understable disc will flip up and keep going right (rhbh) but a disc with more stability will flip up and just go straight.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 83
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any disc can be hyzer flipped in theory... if you can throw a disc with more speed than the HSS will counteract, then there will be some high speed turn to the disc, which can be "used up" by throwing the disc on a hyzer angle. But, for most arms, an OS disc cannot and should not flip. If it does, you're throwing with OAT and therefore is not optimal.

So, yes, typically an US to stable disc is thrown with enough hyzer to counteract the high speed turn portion of the flight, and then you have a more or less straight first portion of the flight. Depending on the disc you are going to have varying amount of LSS that you need to combat as well, which also plays into what angle you throw each disc.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 67
Niced 675 Times in 328 Posts

So, what would be the easiest discs to hyzer flip?
Old 01-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 54
Niced 55 Times in 32 Posts

150 surges with my weak arm strength are really easy to HF but don't do it into the wind. Right Turn Klyde.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 83
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
easiest? Something like a summit or really US putter probably... I throw just about everything from a hyzer angle... my most US disc is an ESP AvengerSS. I can throw it with hyzer and it still flips all the way over..

Disc speed plays a part in the perceived stability... but, go to Marshall Street's flight chart, and pick a disc along the right side if you're looking for an US hyzer flip disc.. the slower the disc, the 'flipper' it will be with relation to faster discs.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have seen a lot of HOD answers on tunnel-esque shots to be to hyzer flip the disc. How far into the throw does it take to flatten out generally.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 271
Niced 210 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
I have a beat in 150 gr. Champ Leopard that has become a hyzer flip machine.

I love it because I can also throw it with less hyzer and it makes a steady, predictable right-hand turn.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 271
Niced 210 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
I have seen a lot of HOD answers on tunnel-esque shots to be to hyzer flip the disc. How far into the throw does it take to flatten out generally.
It is hard to say because it happens pretty fast, but I'd guess within 75' - 100'.