#51  
Old 09-02-2018, 11:35 AM
Jolt Jolt is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,990
Niced 1,805 Times in 1,009 Posts
Default

No Paige and Jerm in mixed Doubles? I know Paige was registerd
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-03-2018, 08:47 AM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 7,964
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lung View Post
Brewster Ridge is a like miniature version of Maple Hill, which favors Hokom. But PP will crush at Fox Run Meadows. It’s anybody’s game really.
I understand that she struggled this year at Maple Hill, but the notion that courses like it are some sort of Paige Pierce kryptonite is bunk. She entered this year's MVP Open as the FOUR TIME defending FPO champ. She also won the last time she was at Smuggs and took second the year before that (Cat crushed everyone that year). She can play in the woods. Hokom can too, of course. Gaining a little confidence in the final event before Worlds could absolutely have a positive impact, regardless of the type of course.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-03-2018, 09:06 PM
brutalbrutus's Avatar
brutalbrutus brutalbrutus is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the nati
Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 10,744
Niced 4,882 Times in 2,564 Posts
Default

Huge shocker that Conrad won the putting contests...

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 09-03-2018, 10:44 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,224
Niced 2,354 Times in 906 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcσn View Post
How could an event like Worlds not fill?

Many might disagree but IMO, a 750 rated guy playing this event is embarrassing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldeyeGolf View Post
I expect it's quite expensive to stay up in that area for the better part of a week.

Letting some 750 rated guy play in a tournament claiming to be a "world" championship is indeed an embarrassment to the sport. Are they that desperate for another entry fee?
Why do you care? His life, his money.....your judgement?

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 09-04-2018, 01:00 AM
Jolt Jolt is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,990
Niced 1,805 Times in 1,009 Posts
Default

So only 3 people in MPO broke 500 feet an paige did not break 400feet in the Long Drive Contest . . .

when you watching discgolf videos and turnaments i get the impression of that most of the MPO field throw +550feet and Paige easily throws drives +450. . . Internet distance ?

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09-04-2018, 01:57 AM
teemkey's Avatar
teemkey teemkey is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Courses Played: 39
Posts: 2,586
Niced 554 Times in 273 Posts
Default

Ya know, if the 750 guy shows up with 5 Rocs and a Sling, the big boys better be careful.

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 09-04-2018, 07:17 AM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 7,964
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
So only 3 people in MPO broke 500 feet an paige did not break 400feet in the Long Drive Contest . . .

when you watching discgolf videos and turnaments i get the impression of that most of the MPO field throw +550feet and Paige easily throws drives +450. . . Internet distance ?
Elevation? They're 1000 feet above sea level in town where they did the contest. Discs get more overstable at elevation, which can affect how far they fly. Also, it's a long drive contest, not a pure distance contest. They have to land within a specific area for the throw to count and they don't get the benefit of choosing which direction in which they want to throw. The wind could have been a factor as well.

These are guys who hit 600+ at other distance competitions like USDGC. I don't think it's an illusion.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09-04-2018, 08:41 AM
Jolt Jolt is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,990
Niced 1,805 Times in 1,009 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Elevation? They're 1000 feet above sea level in town where they did the contest. Discs get more overstable at elevation, which can affect how far they fly. Also, it's a long drive contest, not a pure distance contest. They have to land within a specific area for the throw to count and they don't get the benefit of choosing which direction in which they want to throw. The wind could have been a factor as well.

These are guys who hit 600+ at other distance competitions like USDGC. I don't think it's an illusion.
I just feel that in tournaments you hear them reach +550 holes inside the circle with ease, but they can΄t do it in a field in a distance comp?!

But distance on the course and in the field seems strange sometimes. . . i have holes on my local course that are marked 300feet that i can reach with a mid or even a putter
NO way i can throw a mid 300feet in a field with distance markers
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 09-04-2018, 09:53 AM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 7,964
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
I just feel that in tournaments you hear them reach +550 holes inside the circle with ease, but they can΄t do it in a field in a distance comp?!

But distance on the course and in the field seems strange sometimes. . . i have holes on my local course that are marked 300feet that i can reach with a mid or even a putter
NO way i can throw a mid 300feet in a field with distance markers
There are so many factors in play that you really can't judge anything off of one long drive competition. Especially one at elevation like this one. On the course, there are trees and elevation changes and wind direction that can all aid (or hamper) one's ability to get big distance on a given hole. And that's not even considering that the measurement of the hole may not be entirely accurate.

The measurement of a hole could vary significantly depending on how it's measured...straight line point to point, along the intended flight path, measured with a wheel vs a tape vs a rangefinder vs GPS. A hole might say it's 300 feet, but it could actually be anywhere from 270 or 330 depending on how the hole is measured. And it's rare that you can walk up to a hole, read the tee sign, and know exactly how the listed distance was determined.
Reply With Quote
 

  #60  
Old 09-04-2018, 11:21 AM
Tjamesd Tjamesd is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 266
Niced 64 Times in 25 Posts
Default

I saw a video on instagram from the long drive comp... looked like a pretty nasty headwind to me.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships CourseMaintenance Tournaments & Leagues 59 09-07-2018 12:16 PM
2017 PDGA AM/JR World Championships ru4por Tournaments & Leagues 85 12-18-2017 12:53 PM
2015 PDGA Amateur World Championships Buchajs1 Tournaments & Leagues 297 08-01-2015 08:44 AM
The 2013 PDGA World Championships. Who's ready? blewton3 General Disc Golf Chat 13 08-02-2013 09:16 PM
2012 PDGA Amateur World Doubles Championships bizzyd Tournaments & Leagues 11 03-22-2012 11:42 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.