Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 04-01-2019, 07:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,021 Times in 807 Posts
Default And another article about how putting is too easy and the baskets are too big...

Strap in...this is gonna be a long one.

The latest Disc Golfer magazine has once again provided an interesting article on a topic that comes up now and again. Putting is too easy and the baskets need to be smaller. It can be found on page 56 called “Making Small Talk” by Houck himself. I like this topic, I really do. I would love to play or run a tourney with nothing but Marksman style baskets on all the holes. It would present really interesting issues not normally encountered on most courses. But, as with most articles on this topic, Mr. Houck utterly failed to address the pink elephant in the room should the PDGA dictate to switching to smaller baskets:

COST.

These new baskets run $250 (yes, even the small ones after adding in shipping, sleeves concrete, etc) each. Let’s see here...18 hole course x $250 = $4500. Where exactly is that money coming from?

OH - I know! We could sell all the old baskets to another course! What? If the PDGA decides that normal sized baskets are no longer allowed and we all gotta switch to the little guys who is going to want the old ones? This would create a colossal glut in the used basket market. Remember supply and demand in econ class? The supply would become redonkulous. You’d be lucky to sell the baskets a fraction over scrap value. And all those Marksman sized basket prices would magically go up.

Speaking of scraping them out - lets do that! Uhhhh...Have you seen scrap values lately? Right now steel is $.04 to $.09 per pound. So if a basket is 100 pounds (which sounds stupidly heavy) thats $4 to $9/basket or $162 for 18 - at the very most.

I like this conversation but I really don’t like it when people fail to address the cost and what switching to smaller baskets means and the implications therein to volunteer TD’s like me. I don’t think Houck is suggesting that the PDGA makes switching to smaller baskets mandatory for all AM events but if the DGPT or bigger events starts doing it there will be pressure put on folks like myself to make that switch a reality. As he says in the article people are going to want to play like the pros thus making the demand for smaller baskets real high. I am lucky I get enough money to make the players who show up happy. Getting sponsors for my events in my area is a real sonofabitch. If I have to make a course switch out 18 perfectly good baskets just so I can run a PDGA event guess what...I ain’t running PDGA events. All I ask is, please stop publishing this nonsense without addressing the cost. Unlike you John Houck, I have a job that doesn’t involve disc golf and I don’t get to charge thousands of dollars just for designing a course. I volunteer. Sometimes money comes out of my pocket just so I can keep the ball rolling on some of these events.

That’s just the monetary cost. Don’t get me started on all the physical labor it takes to install all those baskets...Who’s going to do that?

I also find it rather hilarious that anyone is even talking about switching to smaller baskets what with all the wailing and gnashing of teeth we had in all the “spit outs” of the Discraft baskets a few years ago. Ever play a disc golf hole with a Marksman? I have. I really want to see how 1000 rated pros with their 60 mph putts do on a Marksman. I really do. You think the whining about spit outs is bad now...lol
Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2019, 07:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,347 Times in 905 Posts

Interesting fodder for discussion, but as you have stated, logistically impossible. Maybe we just need to make trees bigger.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,151 Times in 696 Posts

Keep the baskets. Make larger diameter putters mandatory.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 104
Niced 335 Times in 151 Posts

I would like to see smaller baskets.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 88
Niced 2,021 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
I would like to see smaller baskets.
That money though...
Old 04-01-2019, 08:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.9
Courses Played: 259
Niced 146 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Keep the baskets. Make larger diameter putters mandatory.
I have never considered this option, but I like it.

Would cost much less then replacing old baskets.

My old 71 molds would gain new life!

Niced: (1)
Old 04-01-2019, 08:16 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,476 Times in 762 Posts

Too bad companies couldn't just sell the tops to cut down on the cost. Then they could be swapped for events. It would really only take two sets for your area's courses. The labor to swap them is what would be a deterrent for that thought though.

As often as the top pros hit the same general area of the chainset round after round of putts, I doubt the Bullseye-style baskets would make much of a difference after a few events. It'll just stop the frequency with which we see Albatrosses and aces happen.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,298 Times in 609 Posts

I have a Marksmen in my basement and they do not like fast putts that are even a little bit off.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 170
Niced 233 Times in 111 Posts

Recently at my hometown course the club placed one of the old original tone poles which is about a 2 inch pipe next to the practice basket which is a mach 3... I have found that the tone pole is easier to score on then the mach 3.

Have been to many MPO tournaments as a spectator in the past 20 years and I am impressed with the MPOs putting skills but not that impressed...have seen many crucial missed putts. What I find most entertaining is the MPOs driving skills off the tee pad.

Also, I am tired of watching the NBAs Steph Curry drain all those threes... now that's the basket they should make smaller.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,734 Times in 757 Posts

Keep the baskets but have only one set of chains