Old 12-17-2019, 12:11 PM

Years Playing: 40
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default Best Charlotte area location for DG home base?

Hey Charlotte locals. Where in the area has the best access to multiple highly rated disc golf courses? Based on a quick look at the DGCR map, I'm thinking northside towards Huntersville, but what do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2019, 03:36 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 35
Niced 216 Times in 96 Posts

That's a tough one. Using the highly subjective "Highly Rated" criteria will always bring some dissent when this comes up. On the north side is Hornet's Nest/Web, Nevin, and Bradford - those are the three I like best up that way.

For my money, the south side of town wins, because it puts you close to Camp Canaan, Winthrop, and Chester State Park - all of which are in SC, but all within 45 minutes at most (Chester). I can get to Winget or Canaan in 20 minutes, easy.

The CLT courses that are reasonably close down here are numerous: Renaissance Grey and Gold, and Renske; Plantation Ruins at Winget; Angry Beaver and Eager Beaver (both at Elon Park); and then Reedy Creek, Scrapyard, Dry Creek, and Kilborne are all within 30 minutes of, say, the Ballantyne or even Lake Wylie/Fort Mill area. Even Hornet's Nest/Web and Nevin are no more than about 35 minutes up the highway...

You probably can't go wrong anywhere near town. I've lived in SW-CLT for about 12 years, and none of the aforementioned are what I would call a long way away. We are pretty spoiled down here...For me, if I was coming from out of town, I'd want to play Canaan and Winthrop for sure. So I tend to default to this side of town. And Chester! Man, Chester is a really cool track.

Let me know when you're in town. Happy to be whatever kind of resource you may need.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:32 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 254 Times in 126 Posts

As an out of towner, UNC Charlotte was a great location. Super close to the highway, and it allow the wife access, very short walking distance, to the light rail to do her own thing in town whenever she wished.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:04 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 35
Niced 216 Times in 96 Posts

Yeah, staying near UNCC gets you quickly to Reedy Creek, Kilborne, and Sugaw Creek - as well as the northern courses mentioned earlier. Probably not too far from Scrapyard...

As I said, it's a tough question to answer.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 342
Niced 328 Times in 139 Posts

In what context are you asking this question? Do you have a 3-hour window to play a course or two? Are you moving to Charlotte? Within one hour of uptown, you have access to two dozen excellent to great courses including all the CDGC courses, Gaston County, Rock Hill / Chester, Hickory, Albemarle, etc. So, in answer to your question, you're close to great courses anywhere in town.