Old 01-24-2020, 03:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 139 Times in 80 Posts
Default No! No! charge me more please.....

So I was at PIA as I am every week some times 4 times a week. I did note the fine folks over at Discraft appear to have no shame about what they think the new signature appear to be worth these days. Last year’s Mcbeth 4X Force was 15.99, this years 5X is a 19.99 disc. The plastic was the same clear red, at the same store, on the same rack, but the 4 dollar stamp made all the difference apparently. Well, I didn’t buy any, in fact no Discraft went with me. I did load up on 12 other discs, well because I can’t stop buying discs and they were pretty......

Hey Discraft, I am moving on to the next company.

P.S. Also, Paige’s, new putter has not won anything yet, 20 bucks out of line. The Luna did not start that high and it has now actually done something. Now the Luna price moved to 19.99 and I have moved on. I did throw the Luna, gave them away after a few months. Nice disc, just not what I need anymore. Using a Chief, no glide and flies like a brick, 10.99.

And for those of you who think I am cheap, trust me, money is not one of my problems.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-24-2020, 03:57 PM

Courses Played: 9
Niced 19 Times in 8 Posts

They are going to charge what people will pay. I personally will spend a little more on a disk I know I can throw well, if I can't, I don't spend the extra money for sig series.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts

The difference in price between the 4x stamp and the 5x stamp is entirely up to the local store (wholesale price from Discraft is exactly the same either way). They're probably discounting the 4x because they have the new 5x stamp.

And I don't know where you shopped, but proto Lunas, first run Lunas and stock-run Lunas have consistently retailed at $19.99 since they debuted (again, wholesale price hasn't changed). So the Fierce being priced similarly is no surprise at all.

But hey, rant on.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:04 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 927 Times in 775 Posts

I actually think it is in the trade stuff with the oil price going up thanks in part to our latest president. I think Discraft wants to sell the disc at $15.99-$17.99 via retailers but the price has gone up on the Oil so the disc has to cost more. Also the pay of Page might be the other factor, now with two really high payed pro players both Paul McBeth and Page Pierce the company had to raise disc prices.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 12
Niced 1,112 Times in 589 Posts

Careful, you might be accused of being grumpy. I share your sentiments, my Discraft enthusiasm wanes further with each money grab they throw out there. Alas, the recent converts seem to snatch up anything with McBeth's name on it.

I have a pretty good supply of pre-McBeth molds that I throw, and none of my Zones are domey.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-24-2020, 04:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 140
Niced 479 Times in 215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Thunder View Post
The scenario you are describing is known as the innovation adoption life cycle or product adoption curve.

Early adopters and early majority always pay more to "have it now". The late majority - the folks who come to the party in the next 6-18 months will be the late majority and will probably find these for more reasonable prices, but couldn't claim early adoption.

Its rooted in supply and demand. When a new disc is released, demand is high and supply is low, so they can charge what they want and folks will pay it. Once the market is saturated, the price goes down, along with demand...

So, I guess that's what you get for having to have it now.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-24-2020, 04:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,063 Times in 1,432 Posts

Pay $$ for Discraft? I just spot on Toboggan for USADGC for a while and grab all the misprints I want.
DGPT for DGLO is just bonus plastic.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:16 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 638 Times in 241 Posts

You know what’s great?

There’s still plenty of stock run versions of those same molds for sale.

If enough people don’t buy the hype, they’ll either cut the price or make less of them. And if enough people do, then who cares?

Niced: (3)
Old 01-24-2020, 04:25 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 114 Times in 56 Posts

Gotta admit, being new to DG I've found most of the complaints about disc prices to be ridiculous. Probably because I'm maximally out of touch with the sport's roots and stuff. I can buy and fill a bag for well under $200 that will perform far better than I can. When I compare that to the start-up and maintenance costs of other activities, and taking into account that most of the courses we play are free, the complaints are out of scale.

Maybe if I had started playing back in the day of (insert arbitrary golden age), I would feel some pain for what I have lost, that the sport has grown too far out of its grassroots and begun taking on the ugly characteristics of capitalism. Still, seems overblown.

I'm perfectly okay with there existing some superficially premium versions of discs at premium prices (and paying those prices because they are still pretty cheap). They don't fly better, so you're not buying better equipment than people with four fewer dollars to spend.

This is also just how marketing works, and DG is pretty basic at that. It costs more to get bigger endorsements and to promote and place the associated products, so at this basic level it's like shouting at the tides. Things can get more complex and scummy, but we aren't there yet.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:30 PM
Banned but not forgotten

Niced 607 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Thunder View Post
So I was at PIA as I am every week some times 4 times a week. I did note the fine folks over at Discraft appear to have no shame about what they think the new signature appear to be worth these days. Last year’s Mcbeth 4X Force was 15.99, this years 5X is a 19.99 disc. The plastic was the same clear red, at the same store, on the same rack, but the 4 dollar stamp made all the difference apparently. Well, I didn’t buy any, in fact no Discraft went with me. I did load up on 12 other discs, well because I can’t stop buying discs and they were pretty......

P.S. Also, Paige’s, new putter has not won anything yet, 20 bucks out of line. The Luna did not start that high and it has now actually done something. Now the Luna price moved to 19.99 and I have moved on. I did throw the Luna, gave them away after a few months. Nice disc, just not what I need anymore. Using a Chief, no glide and flies like a brick, 10.99.

And for those of you who think I am cheap, trust me, money is not one of my problems.
I wouldn't shop at PIA if you want good prices. I always feel like I am buying a bootleg out of a NYC back alley. Really that business is the sux.