Old 02-14-2020, 04:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,071 Times in 1,435 Posts
Default Would you play with a known Insert Heinous Criminal Act Here?

Started a new thread in order not to derail the thread I took the quote from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
You register for a tourney, and end up on the same card with a known/convicted pedophile, rapist, terrorist, (or whatever other offense might turn your stomach beyond just them just being an ordinary A-hole).

Do you play? Do you leave?
Do you see if the TD is willing move you?

Slightly different twist:
What happens if Player X has a restraining order on Player Y?
I elected not to add a poll because I actually want to see discussion, read people's opinions.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 02-14-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:10 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 118 Times in 60 Posts

I'd rather play with a rapist or terrorist than with an "ordinary A-hole". I'm not scared of being raped or shot on the course. If playing in a competition with anyone meant condoning their actions I wouldn't play tournaments at all.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-14-2020, 04:25 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,477 Times in 359 Posts

If I had my choice between a convicted criminal who is otherwise chill on the course and someone law-abiding with a terrible disposition, I'll go with the convict.

Old 02-14-2020, 04:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 141
Niced 284 Times in 127 Posts

I'd like to agree with Nova - chill criminal over some jerk-@ss - but personal experience has not shown that to be true for me.

Years ago there was the "I'm going to get my gun outta the truck!" thing at weekly doubles by regular Joe Sixpack, but when I moved to DFW I played often with a seemingly good dude who I found out eventually got busted with a kid in a public bathroom.

I stopped going to doubles AND I stopped hanging with pedo-guy.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,071 Times in 1,435 Posts

Personally, I doubt I'd back out of a tourney over it. But, I sure as hell wouldn't play a casual round with someone I knew to be a pedophile, rapist, or terrorist... I don't care how chill they seem. Not out of fear something would happen, but simply from the perspective that I don't want to be anywhere around such a person if I can help it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
If playing in a competition with anyone meant condoning their actions I wouldn't play tournaments at all.
While I see his point, I simply can't view all actions I don't condone as being equivalent. There's a lot of behavior I don't personally condone, but don't find nearly as deplorable as victimizing children, etc...

Obviously, there's no right or wrong answers. Perhaps it's my problem, but if the thought of playing with you as an individual, is just too much for me to stomach, to the point where that's not what I want to do or where I wanna be, then I have to ask myself, "Why the hell do I want to stay?"

Should the fact that I've paid the registration fee enter into that?
That money's gone. Spent it with the idea that I'd have a good time. Given that it's a sunk cost, I suppose I need to ask myself whether I would still have a good time, or would playing with a human trafficker just ruin it for me? What's going to maximize my enjoyment that day, at that moment?

Reality is, I'd probably give the event a shot a shot. If after a few holes, I couldn't stomach it, I'd leave.
Some situations are hard to predict what you'd really do until you've actually done it.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 02-14-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:39 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 357 Times in 218 Posts

I'd play with Jeffrey Dahmer just cuz he might have something interesting to say. I'm NOT forfeiting my entry fee....

Old 02-14-2020, 05:59 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 118 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Personally, I doubt I'd back out of a tourney over it. But, I sure as hell wouldn't play a casual round with someone I knew to be a pedophile, rapist, or terrorist... I don't care how chill they seem. Not out of fear something would happen, but simply from the perspective that I don't want to be anywhere around such a person if I can help it.

While I see his point, I simply can't view all actions I don't condone as being equivalent. There's a lot of behavior I don't personally condone, but don't find nearly as deplorable as victimizing children, etc...

Obviously, there's no right or wrong answers. Perhaps it's my problem, but if the thought of playing with you as an individual, is just too much for me to stomach, to the point where that's not what I want to do or where I wanna be, then I have to ask myself, "Why the hell do I want to stay?"

Should the fact that I've paid the registration fee enter into that?
That money's gone. Spent it with the idea that I'd have a good time. Given that it's a sunk cost, I suppose I need to ask myself whether I would still have a good time, or would playing with a human trafficker just ruin it for me? What's going to maximize my enjoyment that day, at that moment?

Reality is, I'd probably give the event a shot a shot. If after a few holes, I couldn't stomach it, I'd leave.
Some situations are hard to predict what you'd really do until you've actually done it.
I agree that some behaviors are more disgusting than others. My wife was raped by neighborhood kids, stepdads, family friends and boyfriends from the time she was a little girl. One of my cousins was molested by her father. I cannot forgive the actions of those people, in part because they haven't taken redemptive steps and in part because I haven't reached that level of grace. I would never choose to associate with them in a recreational setting, in fact my feelings toward them on bad days border on the murderous.

Disc golf tournaments are, for me, nothing more than a chance to observe a particular batch of humans, not unlike volunteering in prisons, which I also do. I want to listen and learn and, if possible, do something positive for them. Making friends or my enjoyment isn't a priority at tournaments, that's what playing casually is for. I don't find it healthy to hide from the ugliest facts and ugliest people in this world. No matter what someone has done, I will not hide from them, no matter how loathsome they are.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 54
Niced 55 Times in 32 Posts

Wonder just what the pros were feeling/thinking when Anthon came back to the tour?

Old 02-14-2020, 06:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 7
Niced 734 Times in 395 Posts

How exactly would you come to have this information about your card mates? Usually convicted criminals usually don't include that in their introduction. "Hey guys, I'm Bob. I play disc golf, and in my spare time i traffic underage girls to disgusting human beings and distribute meth to school kids while planning my next mall bombing". Usually that's not how it goes ....

Old 02-14-2020, 06:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 7
Niced 734 Times in 395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontar View Post
I'd play with Jeffrey Dahmer just cuz he might have something interesting to say. I'm NOT forfeiting my entry fee....
Slight derail....

My high school Spanish teacher was his neighbor for a few years. She said he was a super nice guy.