Old 04-10-2019, 09:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 228 Times in 107 Posts
Default Grip issues

So the end problem of my grip has lead to the pinky side of my middle finger getting ripped. It is not a blister, but it actually tore the skin apart. I have been throwing a lot of forehands lately so that was probably the original reason, but I feel it a lot more on my backhand drives now.

My backhand grip I have the tips of middle and ring ringer on the rim and my pinky and index are on the pads. I think I got it from a feldberg video like 10 years ago. For forehand I use a split two finger grip.

How can I get a smoother release from my middle finger on my backhand or how do I make sure my index finger is the focal point. My index finger has a callus on the thumb side about a centimeter down so I know it is being used as well, but I don't like how much pressure is on my middle finger.

I have used the same grip for 10+ years, but is there something different out there I should try?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2019, 10:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,595 Times in 1,648 Posts

Do you feel a friction/burning feeling every time the disc comes out? Is it really aggressive like the disc fights you to pull out of the hand and rips out somewhat painfully?

My point is, if you are getting early releases/grip slips just slightly then it might be worst case scenario on the fingers. Because you're holding on long enough to get a lot of velocity, but still not getting the ejection at the natural place where it won't pull on your fingers much.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-10-2019, 11:04 PM
Eagle Member

Normally there isn't pain, but my finger is pretty raw right now. If I do develop pain though, it is always on my middle finger and not my index finger. I have been trying to get all of my finger pads on the rim now instead of the tips and that seems to feel better. I just don't want to sacrifice anything else.

If I am releasing early or micro-slipping, is there a good way to fix that?
Old 04-10-2019, 11:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
If I am releasing early or micro-slipping, is there a good way to fix that?
This was the case for me, I had callouses on the finger pads and burning feelings on release sometimes, but not to the extent you are having.

Unfortunately it was form work. Getting way farther forward over my plant leg so that my right shoulder could swing my arm outward, with the result being I could actually feel how the disc swings outward at the hit point from my hand. Like how it's easier to feel in a FH how to "sling" the disc...feeling that equivalent in a BH hit point.

Basically once I could feel that, the disc kind of just comes out of my hand and doesn't pull/hurt at all, it feels much gentler even on all power throws.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-10-2019, 11:30 PM
Eagle Member

One of the many things to work on. I might move this to the top of the list though as it prevents me from playing occasionally. Thank you for your input. Forehand is definitely easier to feel the disc weight in your hand. I messed around with blake t's hammer drills for a bit to try to get that feel, but something is not going right for sure.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
One of the many things to work on. I might move this to the top of the list though as it prevents me from playing occasionally. Thank you for your input. Forehand is definitely easier to feel the disc weight in your hand. I messed around with blake t's hammer drills for a bit to try to get that feel, but something is not going right for sure.
Yeah I could just feel that disc sling feeling for FH in almost any arm orientation, but for BH I really had to get my spine over my leg and my shoulder ahead of my foot. So that the hit point/sling was way out where it should be. One leg drill setup is what helped me the most to get there.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,853 Times in 1,744 Posts

I think it was the Hammer Pound vs Wide Rail thread Blake suggested I learn to throw with the 2 finger grip because I felt like I didn't have enough grip strength. After figuring out Bratten's 2 finger and how to widen the outward arc and cam off the centrifugal force, then it was easy switching to MJ's fan grip, similar to Climo's fork grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvsHetJkKFo&t=2m5s

Old 04-11-2019, 12:20 AM
Eagle Member

A lot of throwbacks to my DGR days. Wish I was smarter when I was younger and actually understood what people were saying. I actually do Climo fork grip my mids and putters, but you both have given me a bunch of stuff I can work on. Thank you again for your time and thoughts.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:12 AM
Par Member

Niced 151 Times in 86 Posts

I have had few friends with the same exact issue and all of them had a death grip on the disc. When you feel the disc slipping your brain goes aah I did not grip hard enough, which is obviously logical. The problem however usually lies somewhere else, strong arming/rounding etc.

Niced: (1)

Old 04-11-2019, 09:16 PM
Eagle Member

One more question, should the disc be more in the front of your hand like Robbie does with his grip or should it be more in the palm? My grip has always pretty much wedged the disc in between my hand cheeks and has been lower in my hand. What is the advantages/disadvantages of it being higher or lower in your hand?