Old 08-06-2009, 10:59 AM

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 55
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fox Meadows in Andover, MN is gone. Good riddance, that place sucked balls. Just plain not fun at all.

Plus, on the way out my friend wanted to use the Biffy. He entered and immediatley stepped right out. Apparently there was feces smeared EVERYWHERE inside. Door handle too. I almost didn't let him back in my car.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 23
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also in gone in the Mpls/St Paul Metro:

'05 Lone Lake - Minnetonka - errosion issues
'00 (?) Theo Wirth - rumour is that a player told a woman who was walking across a fairway to "move her fat a$$ out of the way" and threw a disc that almost hit her - the guy was confronted by her husband and a heated profanity laced argument ensued- turned out it was the wife of the Park Superintendant who baskets pulled the very next day.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 38
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
Brown Deer Park, Wisconsin There is now a wonderful new 18 course installed prior to 2007 AM Worlds. I played the original in the late 1980s. There was no course there for 15 years. I'm glad we've managed to get back in there.
My understanding on this matter was it was pulled in '92 or '93 because of the ball golf course going in. Apparently there was to be a driving range where some of the course was. The disc golf club moved the course to Dretzka park.

About a year before the new Brown Deer course went in the GLDGC held a pro/am fundraiser tourney at Brown Deer with Temp. baskets and mostly the original configuration. Barry Schultz was there and some great old schoolers with many stories of the old course. That course was very fun and I'm glad I had the opportunity to play that tournament.

All of that said it turned out to be a blessing in the long run because Dretzka rules and the new Brown Deer is a great challenging championship level course.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,411 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
supposedly the baskets at earlewood were re-located from a course in/near myrtle beach- was that huntington beach?
This story is presumably true---our most ancient disc golfers tell it repeatedly. Not sure whether it was Huntington Beach, though. The story is that they were at a pay-to-play course, and held lights for night play (under the dome, which has a place for the wiring), which doesn't sound like a state park.

I will confirm for Gamecock that Earlewood is owned by City of Columbia Parks Dept.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscChainBasket18 View Post
The old Richmond Hill course (Asheville, NC) was epic. It was my first 'real' disc golf course. Played there with the legend Ted Williams R.I.P.
The land was taken over by the military for an armory. The city built a new course down the street from the old one. There is talk of using some holes from the original course to make a new 18 hole course on the current property. Good place to be a disc golfer!
Came to post this. That course was amazing. The new one isn't bad by any means but... I miss the old one.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Very interesting topic here. I knew of a course in North Liberty Iowa near lake McBride. I remember seeing it there in the early 90's before I played disc golf. Once I got back into it, I remebered it's location and went to check it out. Gone. From the looks of it it was a nine hole course that had baskets. You can see the fairways and can make out old tee areas. I wished I would of had the chance to play it.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 112
Niced 5 Times in 2 Posts

Dont know if anyone said it yet but, WillowBrook DGC in Byron, Mi is no longer around. They sold all their baskets to the Mcurdy Park DGC in Corunna.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:43 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,410 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
# 6-there was a course in Hannibal, Mo. back in the day. It went defunct and a buddy of mine bought the baskets. I think half of the baskets went into Jefferson Barracks and the other half were the original 9 hole course in Endicott Park. Anyway, I have no recollection of the name of that park.
A decade later I remember, it was in Ann Dorsey Hodgdon Memorial Park.

Holy necrobump, Batman! Plus I quoted myself. How much Internet etiquette can I violate in one post?

Niced: (4)
Old 04-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 145
Niced 384 Times in 168 Posts

Only one Greater Cincy course was listed early on in this endeavor, Pioneer Park.

There was also a course not far from Idlewild called Limaburg (it was either in Burlington or Florence, KY) that only lasted a handful of years before the nearby airport built another runway and took all the land.

Since the beginning of this thread Cincy also lost Turtlecreek up in Lebanon, OH.

Pride Park in Taylor Mill, KY is gone.

Crittenden DGC in Crittenden, KY is gone.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 755 Times in 527 Posts

There's one out here not that anyone cares about Canada but it was the Juan de Fuca... I never got to play it but I heard it was good something about endangered trees