Old 11-24-2019, 02:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,347 Times in 1,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeCroisQue View Post
If it's under 100 ft I'm usually jump putting. If I have to throw something, depending on the distance I usually just toss a Beat in Roc like a putter. They really don't go much further than a putter. It's all about speed and angle control. Occasionally I will throw a Rhyno that I'm trying to beat in to be a putting putter, but that is if I'm trying to run the basket. I'm also not playing many courses that have holes under 200 ft.
A lot of old school pros played it like this...Feldberg really never threw putters (w/ Innova), and if you watch any vids of Cam Todd it looks like he throws a Roc for most longer approaches that aren't a putting motion.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 11-25-2019, 02:58 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 787 Times in 668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
A lot of old school pros played it like this...Feldberg really never threw putters (w/ Innova), and if you watch any vids of Cam Todd it looks like he throws a Roc for most longer approaches that aren't a putting motion.
That is where I got the Idea seeing some older Players sponsored by Innova in the bag using the Gator or DX Spider and other putter shaped and flight midrange disc in the bag either on the Innova site or on YouTube. I was trying before this to use other discs then found the Shark that I had a DX 166 in my bag for short midrange shots but got 175 gram Pro as I wanted that weight for a Shark. However I did not realize how quick the Shark in Pro went from mild OS to Neutral in just a year of use, so I got Star as the next version for a throwing putter slot and approach shots in which I am not wanting to use the Pro one that I have for a more run an extra long putt with. (2 backups in Star as of late. Currently the runs of Star Shark are getting harder to find now as well as a mistake Star mold that is almost G-Star added the Almost above a G- to the Star on the disc as it was almost that G-Star plastic in the flex but minus the extra grip that G-star has, this disc still had the Star type slick gloss to it.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-25-2019, 03:05 AM

Quote:
If it's under 100 ft I'm usually jump putting. If I have to throw something, depending on the distance I usually just toss a Beat in Roc like a putter. They really don't go much further than a putter. It's all about speed and angle control. Occasionally I will throw a Rhyno that I'm trying to beat in to be a putting putter, but that is if I'm trying to run the basket. I'm also not playing many courses that have holes under 200 ft.
See my post above. I do the same with the Shark, Shark is my approach/driving putter slot and windy day putter. I use that mold over a putter for the three slots. I could use a putter for all three slots but then I would need 2 or more discs molds to work for those slots with at least a driving putter and approach putter. I do use a true midrange with that disc being the Shark 3 mold as that variation of mold has more forward glide then the Shark that has the more putter float glide. So one mold the Shark is putter like and taking away the dome all the way the modified mold gets a more true midrange glide.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-25-2019, 08:46 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 40
Niced 182 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
See my post above. I do the same with the Shark, Shark is my approach/driving putter slot and windy day putter. I use that mold over a putter for the three slots. I could use a putter for all three slots but then I would need 2 or more discs molds to work for those slots with at least a driving putter and approach putter. I do use a true midrange with that disc being the Shark 3 mold as that variation of mold has more forward glide than the Shark that has the more putter float glide. So one mold the Shark is putter like and taking away the dome all the way the modified mold gets a more true midrange glide.
This is the big takeaway. As you can see from my sig, I try to limit my molds as much as possible. Why throw three different shaped discs when one will work. That is something I have made a point of doing over the past decade and I believe it has greatly helped my game.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,140 Times in 573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
Decided, I want to go back to beaded putters, as I like the feel much better than a non-beaded ones.

Currently throwing 3....
1) A newish pretty overstable Luster P2
2)A neutral beat S-line P2 that has a slight fade, but no turn and,
3) An understable beat d-line P2 that doesn’t fade back when thrown flat.
Challengers throw a lot like P2s in my opinion. You could do Ti, ESP, and soft X for a similar combination. The challenger won't likely be as overstable as a luster P2 though.

Wizards in various plastics would be a good choice. Will take forever to get one beat in to actually understable though. Personally, I like steadys over challengers and wizards, they are a nice in between for both of those discs.

This is the conundrum with using overstable putters for all throwing duties. Hard to get a good cycle going - could be easier to have an extra mold that is more understable off the shelf until you can get a stable disc beat in to a turning flight.

Last edited by VictorB; 11-25-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:52 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 222 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
I have given up throwing putters. I haven't found a single throwing putter that does anything a Roc can't do. (excluding really overstable stuff). It's not for a lack of trying either, I have an ungodly amount of putters. I occasionally throw a Rhyno for upshots, but only short stuff when I'm trying to run the basket.

Does anyone else just skip the putter slot for throwers?
Yup. 75 feet and in is a jump put or zone upshot. I''ll use a zone up to about 130 feet or so. Otherwise i am throw either a buzz or a comet.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
This is the big takeaway. As you can see from my sig, I try to limit my molds as much as possible. Why throw three different shaped discs when one will work. That is something I have made a point of doing over the past decade and I believe it has greatly helped my game.
Now in my bag, I try to find at least 2 uses for discs some can work just as well a tunnel situation yet still fight wind being mild OS. Probelm is even with the at least 2 uses I still have about 10-12 molds as a Magnet and Titanic are almost the same mold just one is slower, I use Jawbreakers and they get tad too much grip in hot weather ~93 F so I use Proline Titanic mold as of early this year for weather as well as tight gap putts. thus I have with Titanic a half mold different. Then I have the Shark 3. Though the Shark and Shark 3 fly different with the Domed Shark having more the putter float glide and the Shark 3 has the the midrange forward glide, the Shark 3 is just a flat top Shark making it the other almost half mold. Also the DX Dragon is a tad slower rim Valkyrie that has some multi special uses that the Valkyrie is not able to do.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 11-25-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 243 Times in 134 Posts

As mentioned previously, the DGA Breaker is a great upshot disc. Not much glide, fairly OS but not crazy OS.