Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Rules Questions & Discussion

View Poll Results: Should the PDGA allow opting out of player packs?
Yes 18 47.37%
No 20 52.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old Today, 07:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,525 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
Funny money should go away. A player pack worth at least twice the entry fee (easily done) and a nice trophy to put on the mantle should be standard practice. Amateurs are NOT pros, we should not be taking ANY compensation for winning. Opting out is fine as long as the entry fee is low.
Pros are not pros, either.

Other than maybe a dozen or so of them.
Sponsored Links
Old Today, 08:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 68
Niced 285 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
A player pack worth at least twice the entry fee (easily done)
I'd like to know how that is easily done... What tournaments do you run where you can pull this off?
Old Today, 08:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Or why it's done. Why should players receive double their entry---effectively be paid, just to show up, then play the event for free?

Paid to play....amateurs!

Old Today, 08:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,825 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
I'd like to know how that is easily done... What tournaments do you run where you can pull this off?
As someone who's done it (player pack worth 2x entry and no prize payouts), I can say without question that it is NOT easy whatsoever. It involved a lot of hustling for sponsors, and frankly, the tournament I run where the player pack only equals the entry fee (give or take a dollar) is WAAAAAAAAAAAY easier to pull off, and is just as well attended.

Niced: (3)
Old Today, 09:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,143 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chains Bailey View Post
Course quality play a large part of the option to run low entry fee, no frills' events - I believe Biscoe would agree.
IMO course has something to do with it but is not the be all end all. There are plenty of players out there at this point to fill events under a variety of formats. Obviously Hawk Hollow and the Blockhouse have a built in draw but Betty Queen is far from a marquee course and fills the available slots easily enough with the low cost format.
Old Today, 09:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
This, plus the little matter that TDs want players to come to their events.

One drawback to running a low-budget, no-frills event on any course is that attendance may be low. A quality course may draw them regardless of everything else, but a mediocre course may not.
If you are running an event with very little outlay of money involved from the TD's perspective there is little or no risk whether people show up or not. As you know there is a B tier in your area that fills up in minutes every year- do you really think players would not come to Earlewood if the player's packs were gone and the entry fee was basically nominal? (of course would need to be a c tier at the point you remove the player's packs)
Old Today, 09:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
If you are running an event with very little outlay of money involved from the TD's perspective there is little or no risk whether people show up or not. As you know there is a B tier in your area that fills up in minutes every year- do you really think players would not come to Earlewood if the player's packs were gone and the entry fee was basically nominal? (of course would need to be a c tier at the point you remove the player's packs)
The Earlewood Classic's a bit of a mystery, but it's a fun course---above-average, in my opinion---and the event has historic momentum and a sweet spot on the calendar.

Events on other courses in Columbia--one of which, most people consider better than Earlewood---had attendance in the 40s, with fairly standard C-tier payment formats.

The risk of low attendance, from a TD's perspective, isn't financial---it's the effort involved. If I put out the effort to put on a tournament, and attendance is low, I'm not counting it as successful, even if the balance sheet is fine.

Old Today, 10:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
The Earlewood Classic's a bit of a mystery, but it's a fun course---above-average, in my opinion---and the event has historic momentum and a sweet spot on the calendar.

Events on other courses in Columbia--one of which, most people consider better than Earlewood---had attendance in the 40s, with fairly standard C-tier payment formats.

The risk of low attendance, from a TD's perspective, isn't financial---it's the effort involved. If I put out the effort to put on a tournament, and attendance is low, I'm not counting it as successful, even if the balance sheet is fine.
Considering the bolded maybe a non-standard format would do better.

Niced: (1)