Old 09-20-2018, 09:17 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 337 Times in 132 Posts

His shoulders are not rotated internally in those frames. You would have to go to the next frame and the disc would be ten feet away by then.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2018, 10:22 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 9 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks.
I watched this many times.
It looks to me like his plant foot rotates on the ball, rather than the heel.
Is that because of the diagonal weight shift, and the spine forward lean?

It also looks to me like that at impact he's set up at 45 degrees left of target line, so at hit it's almost like a grip lock ejection? My grip locks tend to go about 50% farther than my regular throws, just in the wrong direction. Might be thinking completely wrong on this.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:35 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 122 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy42b View Post
Thanks.

It also looks to me like that at impact he's set up at 45 degrees left of target line, so at hit it's almost like a grip lock ejection? My grip locks tend to go about 50% farther than my regular throws, just in the wrong direction. Might be thinking completely wrong on this.
Paul just does that sometimes, it doesn't have to do with any body positions or anything else, I don't think. Some other pros might do it too, but it's still the same concept: bracing through the front leg, getting compression through the ground into the shot. Just a matter of what part of the foot you use to do it.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:58 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 337 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy42b View Post
Thanks.

For the most part that is correct. An arc will appear left to start. It's an arc.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:05 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 171 Times in 121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post
Correct.

Anything that happens after the disc is gone is follow through... Through the entire hit and well past it, his thumb is up.
I think we're neglecting the 3 dimensional movement of the wrist before/at/after release. Turning a key.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-21-2018, 04:34 AM
Par Member

Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

Went for a field for an hour this morning, threw some Craves and Switches. It was quite windy (tail/headwind, threw back and forth), and I felt that I was focusing on way too many things at once (diagonal stance, wide reachback, keep shoulders closed, good weight shift, balanced posture, don't pull too early, wide arc, elbow 45 degrees, grip tight, nose down, ...), and I kept turning discs over quite often as I noticed that I often dropped my elbow when trying to delay shoulders opening (lead with hand and not with elbow), or when I tried to mimic Paul's left hand and sort of hugging with shoulders stance, I tended to get nose up high or burn the disc into the ground. Didn't really get the "griplock" feeling, although I definitely felt again that I have to grip tighter.

So overall sounds that the field practice wasn't very good, but then I measured couple of my pretty straight throws with Google Earth, and was surprised that they went about 95-100 meters, which is about 10 meters more than my typical throws... So maybe not that bad after all...
Old 09-21-2018, 05:47 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 27 Times in 16 Posts

So it looks to me that the angle between Paul's upper arm and his chest remains the same throughout the hit/snap/arc. The movement of the disc is created by the forearm extending (elbow straightening), and the entire chest rotating. It is only after the disc is released that the angle opens up between his upper arm and chest and he follows through.

Is this right?
Old 09-21-2018, 06:14 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 29
Niced 243 Times in 139 Posts

Is it Darude's 'Sandstorm'?
Old 09-21-2018, 07:03 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I have to agree with Timothy42b when I have a griplock ejection it goes way further and in the wrong direction. I'm assuming it is from opening up my shoulder way to soon, would that be correct?

Last edited by Riggs419; 09-21-2018 at 07:06 AM.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:29 AM
Par Member

Niced 45 Times in 32 Posts

I am so lost with this thumb down grip. ELI5 please.