Old 03-08-2018, 05:50 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,493 Times in 951 Posts

I haven’t seen the rapid change in Trillogy discs many describe, but it could just be me.

I have had the same TP Harp in the bag since they came out and it’s plenty stable. I also have used a TP Stag that while it is on the less stable side now, took two years to get there.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 944 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
I am starting to think that Defenders actually have more potential than Destroyers. Problem is, I don't use mine enough to get them there.
I haven't thrown the Defender a ton, but I somewhat agree. The Defender is definitely faster than a Destroyer. Very noticeably so. It glides as well or better.

I'd equate the Defender with a Boss. Pretty beefy, but with good glide. The Defender will flex out a little if you really hammer it too.

I can throw Defenders and Destroyers about the same distance. I figure once the Defender beats in somewhat it'll start outdistancing the Destroyers pretty consistently. I can't deny the usefulness of a Destroyer. I have one in my bag and reach for it often.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,625 Times in 1,654 Posts

I find the Defender, at least in Bio, is closer to a Force than OS Destroyer. But a little faster still I think. In calm conditions I can throw a Defender and beefy Destroyer on basically the exact same lines and the Defender is usually 15' more distance for me. But in wind the HSS shows its true face and it's more similar to a Force how it will flip and then still fade, whereas beefy Destroyers really hold firmly.

Basically my point is I think the extra distance on the Defender is from it not being quite as HSS, but I don't have the arm to make it flip when they are fresh. But they definitely will beat in to show that turn sooner than a beefy Destroyer will. I haven't headwind tested Lucid Defenders, but they do seem more truly OS in the HSS portion of flight.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:30 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Eater View Post
Terns are all over the place in stability so its hard to say.
My longest drives have been with my Star Terns around 165g. But I have to buy 4 of them to get one in the stability I want. It's a finicky disc that has cost me more strokes than it has saved I'm afraid. I've tried to replace Terns with Trilogy stuff - Halo, Frost Havoc, Freedom, Air Trespass, Ballista, Destiny, King, and have gone back to Innova Terns for that slot. I don't mind having a mixed company bag, but the inconsistency in Innova stuff drives me nuts... OK, some Trilogy discs are inconsistent too, like Saints IMHO.

Currently working with some Air Flows, and these are close to being as far as Terns and a lot more consistent from throw to throw and disc to disc. We shall see.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:18 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 195 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonseski View Post
I think the new Ballista is very much like the tern
Is this true? I still can't find anything closer to a 170g Star Tern, then my beat in Flow. Maybe I'll just stick to them, especially since I got a few old pearly OS poptops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I love the glide of the Trilogy discs. The River, the Falchion, and the Renegade are all a lot of fun to throw and watch 'em go!

Having said that, to me the biggest negative of Trilogy vs. Innova is the durability of the plastics. Champion discs hold their flight patterns (nearly) forever, and Star takes a long time to season in. By way of contrast, Gold Line hardly lasts three months of consistent use; Rivers become flippy wayyyy too soon. Even Opto and Moonshine plastics don't last as long as Star (and nowhere near Champion).

So I gave up Rivers despite my love of their glide, because the durable Leopard3s have really grown on me. I still bag Trilogy discs, but the point is that there are trade-offs, so it still comes down to what works best for each individual.
What weight did you buy your Gold Rivers in? I bought a beat in 178g, one year later I still wish it turned a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
I haven’t seen the rapid change in Trillogy discs many describe, but it could just be me.

I have had the same TP Harp in the bag since they came out and it’s plenty stable. I also have used a TP Stag that while it is on the less stable side now, took two years to get there.
I think it's plastic and weight. It seems they lose some HSS rather quick but then stays in sweetspot for long, at least in higher weights?

Maybe people go lower weight to get good flight out of the box, and as soon as that peak of HSS is gone they're not as stable as wished for?

Last edited by Nenja; 03-09-2018 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 195 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadair View Post
My longest drives have been with my Star Terns around 165g. But I have to buy 4 of them to get one in the stability I want. It's a finicky disc that has cost me more strokes than it has saved I'm afraid. I've tried to replace Terns with Trilogy stuff - Halo, Frost Havoc, Freedom, Air Trespass, Ballista, Destiny, King, and have gone back to Innova Terns for that slot. I don't mind having a mixed company bag, but the inconsistency in Innova stuff drives me nuts... OK, some Trilogy discs are inconsistent too, like Saints IMHO.

Currently working with some Air Flows, and these are close to being as far as Terns and a lot more consistent from throw to throw and disc to disc. We shall see.
My friend, I didn't read your post until after edit time...

I think you're on the right path. I really think you should try to find a beat in Gold Flow. They get some turn rather fast but still keeps some fade and with a higher weight will be more reliable.
I lost my beat in Flow so now I simply work straight to hyzer lines instead of s-curves. I might lose some distance but I have a feeling I scored better (only 3 wide open 350+ holes on my local course) since I lost my US DD.

As soon as you find a Flow for your arm you'll notice. Slight hyzer flip up to straight and hold straight for 300' followed by a sweeping but not small fade.

Last edited by Nenja; 03-09-2018 at 03:30 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:31 AM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,378 Times in 1,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenja View Post
What weight did you buy your Gold Rivers in? I bought a beat in 178g, one year later I still wish it turned a bit more.
High 160s, low 170s were my River weights. I also got them in Moonshine, and those turned flippy on me rather fast.

And there may be something to understable discs getting flippy faster than stable/overstable ones. My Renegades (Moonshine, Fuzion, Biofuzion) got flippy rather fast. But my GL Saint took its time showing any sign of beating in. My Opto Falchion has held it's flight pattern fairly well, and I've been using it for many moons now.

And my GL Flow, at 173g, just never would really beat in to what I wanted it to be. I'm just keeping faith with Terns now. I would not mind finding a GL Flow in the mid- to low-160s, but haven't seen any for sale in weights that low.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:05 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 47 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
High 160s, low 170s were my River weights. I also got them in Moonshine, and those turned flippy on me rather fast.

And there may be something to understable discs getting flippy faster than stable/overstable ones. My Renegades (Moonshine, Fuzion, Biofuzion) got flippy rather fast. But my GL Saint took its time showing any sign of beating in. My Opto Falchion has held it's flight pattern fairly well, and I've been using it for many moons now.

And my GL Flow, at 173g, just never would really beat in to what I wanted it to be. I'm just keeping faith with Terns now. I would not mind finding a GL Flow in the mid- to low-160s, but haven't seen any for sale in weights that low.
Opto Falchions are my go-to driver most of the time as I am still building arm speed and technique. I have hit quite a few tree's and bushes, and they're still holding that turn just the same as the day when I bought them.

Still haven't thrown my new Opto-X River yet, but I'm noping its a pretty straight flyer w/ little or not turn to it.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 571 Times in 396 Posts

I suspect that the variance in the durability of Trilogy discs is that they are sharper nosed than their Innova counterparts. Sharper noses mean easier PLH deflection down, which is why DX is fine for a blunt disc, but anything over speed 7 is too sharp. I suspect that the sharper wing is what gives Trilogy discs, their supposed extra glide, but it also makes them unpredictable in the wind. This is why Harps seem to never lose their stability, unless you really warp them. I could probably go to a Trilogy mid and putter setup and be fine, but anything over speed 9 is going to have to stay something somewhat blunt, like a Destroyer. I've had certain Trilogy drivers that kept their stabilty nicely, such as the Stag and Escape, but my River and Felon changed quite rapidly, compared to a Leopard3 and FireBird. My Tresspasses will out distance my Destroyers in calm conditions, but in the wind the Destroyers remain fairly consistent compared to the Trespasses which become quite inconsistent and refused to hold a hyzer.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 727 Times in 508 Posts

I'll have to agree(as a trilogy thrower) that they beat in rather quickly (which I like) but they don't seem to beat in so bad I can't use them as intended still (which I also like) that having been said: fuzion/gold/tournament I find is theore durable plastic over lucid/VIP/Opto. This is just how it's been for me. And as I stated before, there are plenty of trilogy discs that will hold up in the wind just fine.

Niced: (1)