Old 11-14-2018, 10:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 560 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty View Post
Unionizing is for the good of the collective of players to protect their interests in terms of playing rules, policy (such as illegal substances and testing), the direction of the sport, etc. If players want a seat at the decision making table, they form a collective and be professionals for one another. It's that easy. Earnings is definitely a part of it, but protecting the ability to earn, access to earn, and the conditions under which earning happens is most important in the big picture. And sure, there have always been superstar company men who could stand on their own and negotiate favorly with ownership, but that's the outlier. I don't disagree that unionizing is harder in individual sports because of the independent-contractor arrangement.
Also, who would disc golfers collectively bargain with? They are exclusively paid by sponsorships (there are literally no unions when it comes to pro sports sponsorships) or tournament winnings (would they have to bargain with the literally thousands of tournament directors). I grant that if disc golf ever gets to the point that they are on TV/selling tickets for spectators and someone is raking in money other than the players, they should absolutely unionize.

Until that time, the best they can do for other players is to disclose the details of their sponsorship deals. I think JT can speak more to this as he has done so on the Upshot, but more info equals a better base on which the player can bargain with the sponsor. Also, I am not sure how many of these players can even afford an agent, but having professionals to do the negotiating is a big step. I assure you McBeth does for whatever he has cooking, but he is an exception.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2018, 10:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

I also want to point out that although I have disagreed with you a lot Orioles_Lefty, I don't actually think we are that different in what we want for professional athletes or any working people for that matter. These are the type of conversations our society needs to have and unions, despite bringing a lot of it upon themselves, often get unfairly demonized. They have done and continue to do a lot for this country and most people are benefiting from what they did. If we are not careful, all of the good could be undone.

And that is all I have to say about that.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-14-2018, 10:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,484 Times in 690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosteve View Post
Terrible move by the DGPT to drop Jomez especially since Jomez is close to 100000 subscribers. Jomez is also filming with Brodie Smith which will boost their viewership numbers. But this is the same guy who thought naming a disc 420 was a good idea. He pushed Vibram which was one of the few big name sponsors in our sport out the door in my opinion.

You seriously think that Vibram left disc golf because of one person?

Funny considering they called it quits after he left the company.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:51 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 86
Niced 85 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
You seriously think that Vibram left disc golf because of one person?

Funny considering they called it quits after he left the company.
I’m aware that Vibram was in the sport for a few years afterwards. Maybe I’m being over dramatic but I think the controversy may have heart how Vibram’s executives viewed our sport. Plus I feel that Vibram would be a perfect sponsor for disc golf even though they don’t produce discs anymore.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_vandelay View Post
Maybe there is a strategic reason pros would not want everyone to know what is currently in their bag on a given day. Could what they are carrying give competitors an insight into how they are going to attack a given course? Don't really know, just wondering. Maybe I'm paranoid but I don't usually waive the disc I'm going to throw around for the card to see. Let them figure out what disc to use on their own. If someone asks me, that's different.
If there is a single pro that would be influenced by what someone else throws for a shot, they are doing it wrong. Now, if weather conditions are questionable, you might change your disc based on what another person's disc did. But 95% of your throws, if you are good like the players we are talking about are, are scripted before the round even starts. Besides, just knowing what someone is carrying does not mean you know that is their flippy or stable version of that disc.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,531 Times in 883 Posts

Why are we still talking politics here? Water cooler, guys. That includes union talk.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 27.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 393 Times in 173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosteve View Post
Terrible move by the DGPT to drop Jomez especially since Jomez is close to 100000 subscribers. Jomez is also filming with Brodie Smith which will boost their viewership numbers. But this is the same guy who thought naming a disc 420 was a good idea. He pushed Vibram which was one of the few big name sponsors in our sport out the door in my opinion.
Was it ever announced they dropped Jomez? Or is this speculating? My speculation - There are two sides to every coin and maybe Jomez upped their fees for 2018 or didn't want to fully meet the DGPT's media right requirements. Also with Jomez partnering (formal or was it informal) with Innova for 2018, maybe they led to the two to part ways? Innova sponsored 3 events (I think) on the tour this year.

It was nice to see Smashboxx. CCDG and Jomez getting their fair share of the events this season.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 86
Niced 85 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinosaurThunder View Post
Was it ever announced they dropped Jomez? Or is this speculating? My speculation - There are two sides to every coin and maybe Jomez upped their fees for 2018 or didn't want to fully meet the DGPT's media right requirements. Also with Jomez partnering (formal or was it informal) with Innova for 2018, maybe they led to the two to part ways? Innova sponsored 3 events (I think) on the tour this year.

It was nice to see Smashboxx. CCDG and Jomez getting their fair share of the events this season.
I’m speculating. Jomez may be getting hired by the DGPT to film events for the DGPT channel but I think that will hurt viewership because Jomez has a lot of subscribers.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:03 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 500 Times in 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Why are we still talking politics here? Water cooler, guys. That includes union talk.
Are you a moderator?

Old 11-14-2018, 11:28 AM
**Stickin'Putts**

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 600
Niced 205 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Like I said, I have no problem with anyone from anywhere in the world coming to my home state of Texas. Hell..I encourage it...it's a great state. Just remember why you're leaving "your place" in the first place...
Only reason I went to Texas was to play Selah Ranch and Trey Texas Ranch.

Otherwise, no thanks.

I hurried back north as quickly as I could.

Last edited by HeavyCritters; 11-14-2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Damn hillbillies